Flatbed microwave ovens

Posted 19th Nov
Anybody have any experience of this new design?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
It's not a new design they have been out for a few years now. Had ours around two years it's a lot better than the turn table ones you can get more inside and cleaning is a lot easier.
furbars19/11/2019 11:55

It's not a new design they have been out for a few years now. Had ours …It's not a new design they have been out for a few years now. Had ours around two years it's a lot better than the turn table ones you can get more inside and cleaning is a lot easier.

There seem to be mixed reviews, saying some are good and some are bad, do you know the model number of the one you have?
I've never owned a Microwave with a turntable. our first was a flat bed Philips - which lasted 20+ years - still working when we changed it to a Panasonic - NN-CF778S Combi oven. Very happy with it - had it for 5 years now and never had a problem. Using on of the auto programs can cook a large chicken in around 50 mins.
i was wondering if my memory is playing tricks on me as i was sure this was old technology! we had a really old one, or at least hubby had one, which became ours when i moved in with him! that didn't have a turn table. it was a sharp and it worked fine without any issue at all.

we threw it out as now we have a combination microwave, which does need a turntable as it also works as a normal oven for baking and roasting. the old sharp one only microwaved food so it did not need a turn table.
Flatbed microwaves are the way to go - though - the teeny tiny microwaves that are everywhere baffle me. Some aren't even tall enough to take a carton of soup or wide enough for certain plates.

I have a big monstrous Panasonic Combi, though.
Van197319/11/2019 14:03

I've never owned a Microwave with a turntable. our first was a flat bed …I've never owned a Microwave with a turntable. our first was a flat bed Philips - which lasted 20+ years - still working when we changed it to a Panasonic - NN-CF778S Combi oven. Very happy with it - had it for 5 years now and never had a problem. Using on of the auto programs can cook a large chicken in around 50 mins.

We have the same microwave and also have had it for about 5 years Panasonic NN-CF778S.

It is a combination oven and is much better (in my opinion) than a than a turntable because you can put larger, rectangular dishes in it that would not go on a turntable as it would not turn.

Our full size oven rarely gets used as this fulfils most of our needs.
Edited by: "tregs" 19th Nov
esar19/11/2019 12:07

There seem to be mixed reviews, saying some are good and some are bad, do …There seem to be mixed reviews, saying some are good and some are bad, do you know the model number of the one you have?

It's a Russell Hobbs can't see a model number ! Def never going back to a turntable though
mutley119/11/2019 14:43

as now we have a combination microwave, which does need a turntable

Incorrect
mutley119/11/2019 14:43

i was wondering if my memory is playing tricks on me as i was sure this …i was wondering if my memory is playing tricks on me as i was sure this was old technology! we had a really old one, or at least hubby had one, which became ours when i moved in with him! that didn't have a turn table. it was a sharp and it worked fine without any issue at all.we threw it out as now we have a combination microwave, which does need a turntable as it also works as a normal oven for baking and roasting. the old sharp one only microwaved food so it did not need a turn table.

My friend's mum had all the latest gadgetry before our family did - I remember the big, hulking Electrolux microwave she had (flatbed) in the 1970s, so that's probably what you're thinking of.

The way microwaves have evolved/what customers seem to want is a bit weird, as they've got much smaller (inside) over recent years, which I'll never understand, as they're useless imo - microwaves of yore were huge and built like tanks.

Btw, newer flatbed microwaves advertise the flatbed interior as being a "feature". More commonly found in more expensive Combis, though.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 19th Nov
louiselouise19/11/2019 20:29

My friend's mum had all the latest gadgetry before our family did - I …My friend's mum had all the latest gadgetry before our family did - I remember the big, hulking Electrolux microwave she had (flatbed) in the 1970s, so that's probably what you're thinking of.The way microwaves have evolved/what customers seem to want is a bit weird, as they've got much smaller (inside) over recent years, which I'll never understand, as they're useless imo - microwaves of yore were huge and built like tanks.Btw, newer flatbed microwaves advertise the flatbed interior as being a "feature". More commonly found in more expensive Combis, though.

no, the old microwave we had was bought after year 2000! and that is really old in my mind. no way did they have microwave in the 70s! microwave was not invented until the late 80s as far as I understand. you must be thinking of an oven and not a microwave.
mutley119/11/2019 20:46

no, the old microwave we had was bought after year 2000! and that is …no, the old microwave we had was bought after year 2000! and that is really old in my mind. no way did they have microwave in the 70s! microwave was not invented until the late 80s as far as I understand. you must be thinking of an oven and not a microwave.

It was definitely late 70s/early 80s. I bought my first microwave circa 1992 (a rather cheap, at the time, Hinari Microwave - with a turntable), when I got my first flat, and it was probably around 32L interior (considered "large" nowadays).

This isn't the exact model, but the Electrolux they had looked something like this.39034807-6GLS8.jpg
Slight tangent - interesting to see some early 1980s prices of microwaves from here39035023-4Osnp.jpgThis advert is from the 1970s, apparently, from here
39035023-3Tadf.jpgFrom squinting at the jpegs, they all have turntables, though. I'm 99% sure the ancient one I remember didn't.

Here's a (1979) American advert though (flatbed)39035023-dpJ7Z.jpg
louiselouise19/11/2019 20:50

It was definitely late 70s/early 80s. I bought my first microwave circa …It was definitely late 70s/early 80s. I bought my first microwave circa 1992 (a rather cheap, at the time, Hinari Microwave - with a turntable), when I got my first flat, and it was probably around 32L interior (considered "large" nowadays).This isn't the exact model, but the Electrolux they had looked something like this.[Image]

i just googled when microwave became popular in the UK and it said from mid 70 to 80s. i thought they weren't even invented until the late 80s
mutley119/11/2019 21:17

i just googled when microwave became popular in the UK and it said from …i just googled when microwave became popular in the UK and it said from mid 70 to 80s. i thought they weren't even invented until the late 80s

At a guess, late 1980s is when they became cheap enough to appear in most people's kitchens, rather than people who had cash to splash Most people consider them a kitchen essential now.

Definitely was the case with my family.

From looking at more stock photos (ain't the internet great) I think the late 1970s/early 1980s UK model, huge, woodgrained effect monster my pal's mum had was probably a Tricity, not Electrolux. The advert says it's a "microwave cooker" that can "bake, roast, stew and boil".

Think the dad worked for the Thorn company in some capacity, so it must be right - so you'll have to excuse my hazy brain. I was only a kid

This 1978 advert (from the same company) says you can cook a pizza, cheeseburger and sunday roast in a microwave (?). And that food "doesn't splash or burn". Hmm!
39035187-A2ail.jpg
louiselouise19/11/2019 21:18

At a guess, late 1980s is when they became cheap enough to appear in most …At a guess, late 1980s is when they became cheap enough to appear in most people's kitchens, rather than people who had cash to splash Most people consider them a kitchen essential now.Definitely was the case with my family.From looking at more stock photos (ain't the internet great) I think the UK model, huge, woodgrained effect monster my pal's mum had was probably a Tricity, not Electrolux.[Image]

that is something new i have learnt this evening. never thought they had microwave technology that early.
louiselouise19/11/2019 21:05

Slight tangent - interesting to see some early 1980s prices of microwaves …Slight tangent - interesting to see some early 1980s prices of microwaves from here[Image] This advert is from the 1970s, apparently, from here[Image] From squinting at the jpegs, they all have turntables, though. I'm 99% sure the ancient one I remember didn't.Here's a (1979) American advert though (flatbed)[Image]

That Philips on the top left is the one we had - fantastic machine! Bought it in 1985 I think - we bought this before we bought a cooker! Think I paid £250 ish - was very expensive at the time but turned out worth it!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions