Flattened small screw

Found 30th Sep 2017Edited by:"Quicklite"
Hi guys,

Trying to unscrew the camera (to solider in new SD card slot). However, a screw head appears to have flattened. This is the really small 3-4mm screw-heads. Are there instruments that I can use to take it out?

(Can only find extractor for bigger screws on Amazon - maybe goto a watch repair shop see if they could help?)
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Just curious

You mention you want to take apart camera to solder in a new SD Card slot, yet are querying certain types of screwdrivers and there use??

Are you sure you want to attempt to solder?

You are probably needing precision screwdriver set, normally in these packs there are various small torx ones which is maybe what you need, plus you will get ones typically used by Watch repairers.
What about the small screwdrivers you get for tightening up the arms on glasses found in spectacle repair kits from somewhere like Poundland or b&m stores?
I think you guys have misunderstood - OP isn’t asking which small screwdrivers to use for a normal job...the screw has flattened (damaged head so you can’t unscrew it) - for normal sized screws you get special extractor tools, but not seen them for the tiny electrical screws.
charleaward8153 m ago

Just curiousYou mention you want to take apart camera to solder in a new …Just curiousYou mention you want to take apart camera to solder in a new SD Card slot, yet are querying certain types of screwdrivers and there use??Are you sure you want to attempt to solder?You are probably needing precision screwdriver set, normally in these packs there are various small torx ones which is maybe what you need, plus you will get ones typically used by Watch repairers.

I do have a precision screw set. Hope to have far less difficulty once I get the screw off - the solidering is the easier part - though flat screw-head have always been a problem with electronics.

bluep14 m ago

I think you guys have misunderstood - OP isn’t asking which small s …I think you guys have misunderstood - OP isn’t asking which small screwdrivers to use for a normal job...the screw has flattened (damaged head so you can’t unscrew it) - for normal sized screws you get special extractor tools, but not seen them for the tiny electrical screws.

Indeed

I came across this: ifixit.com/Sto…8-1

Might be worth a try. Seems costly, though if it gets rid of the extractor problem - it might be worth it.
Edited by: "Quicklite" 30th Sep 2017
Sounds daft but if the head is stripped have you tried using an elastic band to help undo the screw. The rubber helps bind the screw and driver like those jam jar rubber grippers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants