Groups

flavouring rice?

im looking to try some different flavourings to rice as im fed up with eating same foods...

so what do you all use to flavour your rice?...

must sell at sainsburys lmao

thank you

27 Comments

Banned

sainsburys is dear girl... get youself down to tesco lol

this may sound disgusting too you but i love it chopped fried onion add boiled cooled rice then add corned beef and marrowfat peas and warm through gorgeous.

I like to flavour mine with some Lamb Bhuna

Adding Flavour to Rice

Plain boiled rice can make a decent addition to many meals, but it can be a little bland on its own. However, there are many ways to perk up boiled rice. So if you want to try something more adventurous than ketchup or barbecue sauce on your rice, read on:

Just add a small pinch of salt, and a small pinch of chilli/mustard powder when boiling the rice. When you eat the rice, you should not be able to taste the spice. But the heat of the spice will make your mouth water more, allowing you to taste the rice 'more effectively'.

Add some lemongrass and a couple of strands of saffron for delicately flavoured rice that goes well with Thai dishes.

For rice to accompany Indian food, add turmeric (mainly for colour so you don't need a lot of it), a bay leaf, a blade of mace, and a couple of cloves.

Throw in a cinnamon stick when you boil the water and keep it in there when boiling the rice. Although it can have the unusual side-effect of turning the rice pink, it does add a nice spicy flavour.

You can also try cooking rice by the absorbtion method using a tin of tomatoes to make up most of the liquid, then serve with lots of grated cheese. Cheap student comfort food.

Egg Fried Rice

The standard accompaniment for Chinese meals, egg fried rice might look difficult, but follow these instructions and you shouldn't find it too difficult.

Boil your rice as normal. Next, heat a wok (or large frying pan) as hot as you can. Put in a tablespoon of oil, and add the rice. Crack a couple of eggs in, around the side so that it cooks, and mixes with the rice.

and for Pudding?

Why not try rice pudding (rice cooked in milk with a dash of sugar and nutmeg)

regae regae sauce

Wenchybev;4934282

Adding Flavour to RicePlain boiled rice can make a decent addition to … Adding Flavour to RicePlain boiled rice can make a decent addition to many meals, but it can be a little bland on its own. However, there are many ways to perk up boiled rice. So if you want to try something more adventurous than ketchup or barbecue sauce on your rice, read on:Just add a small pinch of salt, and a small pinch of chilli/mustard powder when boiling the rice. When you eat the rice, you should not be able to taste the spice. But the heat of the spice will make your mouth water more, allowing you to taste the rice 'more effectively'.Add some lemongrass and a couple of strands of saffron for delicately flavoured rice that goes well with Thai dishes.For rice to accompany Indian food, add turmeric (mainly for colour so you don't need a lot of it), a bay leaf, a blade of mace, and a couple of cloves.Throw in a cinnamon stick when you boil the water and keep it in there when boiling the rice. Although it can have the unusual side-effect of turning the rice pink, it does add a nice spicy flavour.You can also try cooking rice by the absorbtion method using a tin of tomatoes to make up most of the liquid, then serve with lots of grated cheese. Cheap student comfort food.Egg Fried RiceThe standard accompaniment for Chinese meals, egg fried rice might look difficult, but follow these instructions and you shouldn't find it too difficult.Boil your rice as normal. Next, heat a wok (or large frying pan) as hot as you can. Put in a tablespoon of oil, and add the rice. Crack a couple of eggs in, around the side so that it cooks, and mixes with the rice.

Excellent post. I like tumeric

greyparrot;4934268

this may sound disgusting too you but i love it chopped fried onion add … this may sound disgusting too you but i love it chopped fried onion add boiled cooled rice then add corned beef and marrowfat peas and warm through gorgeous.

No, theres no may about it :oops:

Original Poster

DangerGod;4934258

sainsburys is dear girl... get youself down to tesco lol

he he he , i work very close to sainsburys :oops:

mbgringo;4934293

No, theres no may about it :oops:

seriously really is nice i also make tuna salad. rice,tuna,tomatoes,cucumber,chopped raw onion salad cream and mayonaise all mixed together yum.

Rice Cakes

Cook the rice (almost) as normal, but turn it off just before it is cooked. In a bowl, mix the rice, an egg, a teaspoon of curry powder, and enough flour to make this into a thick paste. Form the mixture into small patties or rounds, and fry until golden (turning over to cook all sides!).

my 14 year old has his with nutella!:w00t:

ad some cumen seeds, drop of curry powder and chciken stock

Original Poster

Wenchybev;4934330

Rice CakesCook the rice (almost) as normal, but turn it off just before … Rice CakesCook the rice (almost) as normal, but turn it off just before it is cooked. In a bowl, mix the rice, an egg, a teaspoon of curry powder, and enough flour to make this into a thick paste. Form the mixture into small patties or rounds, and fry until golden (turning over to cook all sides!).

this sounds nice, i have curry powder in the cupboard

thank you all, keep the ideas coming, i might try a couple, a rice buffet lol,let the kids decide which one they want

boil the rice, add mackerels in sunflower oil

Wenchybev;4934282

Egg Fried RiceThe standard accompaniment for Chinese meals, egg fried … Egg Fried RiceThe standard accompaniment for Chinese meals, egg fried rice might look difficult, but follow these instructions and you shouldn't find it too difficult.Boil your rice as normal. Next, heat a wok (or large frying pan) as hot as you can. Put in a tablespoon of oil, and add the rice. Crack a couple of eggs in, around the side so that it cooks, and mixes with the rice.

I cook the rice and allow to cool completely - heat up the wok and oil until smoking, then drop the beaten egg in and cook for a second or two, then add the rice (egg helps stop the rice sticking) - pinch of salt and pinch of sugar - little chopped spring onion - add soy sauce (to taste) and finish off with a little sesame oil . . . . . Done

For a spicy option - tablespoon of satay paste and chilli sauce to the above with some chopped onion and green pepper - prawns/ham/chicken/beef etc. for a cheat "singapore" fried rice

Always yum to cook it in a vegetable/meat stock rather than plain water, to add extra flavour before adding the other ingredients. Also really tasty then to use for cold/warm salads etc... :).

greyparrot;4934322

seriously really is nice i also make tuna salad. … seriously really is nice i also make tuna salad. rice,tuna,tomatoes,cucumber,chopped raw onion salad cream and mayonaise all mixed together yum.

Now the tuna rice salad doesn't sound bad at all! (although cucumber is the Devils food - thats been proved - by scientists . . . . )

barky;4934349

seriously?! :w00t:

Original Poster

yummy guys, some good ideas

mbgringo;4934385

heat up the wok and oil until smoking, then drop the beaten egg in and … heat up the wok and oil until smoking, then drop the beaten egg in and cook for a second or two, then add the rice (egg helps stop the rice sticking) - pinch of salt and pinch of sugar - little chopped spring onion - add soy sauce (to taste) and finish off with a little sesame oil . . . . . Done

Before you do all that fry some bacon pieces in the pan, then as above... bacon fried rice.... yum!

ChipSticks;4934865

Before you do all that fry some bacon pieces in the pan, then as above... … Before you do all that fry some bacon pieces in the pan, then as above... bacon fried rice.... yum!

. . . . . or add some sausage, mushrooms and black pudding too and its an all day breakfast fried rice :-D

barky;4934349

euurrrghhhh !! Kids - what r they like !!!

mbgringo;4934895

. . . . . or add some sausage, mushrooms and black pudding too and its an … . . . . . or add some sausage, mushrooms and black pudding too and its an all day breakfast fried rice :-D

Now your just taking liberties!

lol

sounds lush minus the black pudding, yak.

mbgringo;4934448

Now the tuna rice salad doesn't sound bad at all! (although cucumber is … Now the tuna rice salad doesn't sound bad at all! (although cucumber is the Devils food - thats been proved - by scientists . . . . )

Cucumber is the devils food?? Why?How?

carol123;4935267

Cucumber is the devils food?? Why?How?

Up until a hundred years ago it was considered so. Maybe something of the phallic shape but also because it was unspeakably bitter to taste until they discovered that the male flowers should not be used for pollination or female only hybrids were developed. similar thing for aubergine.

i cook rice in water flavoured with stock cubes, or i make special fried rice.

and on the talk of devils food.... tomatoes, they are the devils food, poison apples blergh

Pea rice
    275g of basmati rice
    75g of unsalted butter
    ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds
    ½ teaspoon of dried chilli
    5 cloves
    2 cinnamon sticks broken into 2 inches long each
    4 cardamoms
    2 bay leaves
    1 large onion sliced finely
    150g of garden peas frozen work best
    1 teaspoon of ground tumeric
    1 teaspoon of salt Water just enough to cover rice
    About 500ml

1, wash rice and soak it in cold water for about half an hour and then drain it off
    2, melt the butter in the pan over medium heat and fry the fennel seeds until they are brown
    3, add the chilli, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon, and bay leaves.
    Stir once and then add the sliced onions. Fry until the onions are slightly browned. Stir it all of this time.

4. Add the rice , peas, tumeric and salt. Stir and fry until the rice is fairly dry about 4 -5mins.
    Lower the heat towards the last minute.

5, add the water and bring to the boil.
    Cover the pan and simmer for 12 minutes without lifting the lid. Remove the pan from heat and leave it undisturbed for a further 15 minutes.
    Don't forget to pick out the cinnamon bark/bayleaves before serving.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11
      2. Win a Mazona Olympus 8kW multi-fuel stove @ Gr8 Fires33
      3. Jazz apple slicer for the price of a stamp33
      4. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains55

See more discussions