Groups

flea problem

hi has anyone used a pest control company to sort out a flea problem? if so did it work. i think we have fleas in the front room and want to get it sorted asap before i have my baby. weve put down the powders on the carpet etc but ive still seen the odd 1 or 2 fleas. ive been quoted around £60 for the full house to be done, is that a resonable price?.

27 Comments

if they are in the front room then they are all over the house, do you have any pets, try a flea bomb

Original Poster

hi we have a cat, he only stays in the kitchen and doesnt go round the house, i know they can still jump off him etc, hes treated every month with spot on and weve never had a problem before, weve not longed lived here and dont know wether move has triggered them off or if the cat has picked them up from here. i was thinking about the bombs, i just didnt know wether its worth paying for it to be done proper instead of keep shelling out for products that arnt working.

Thanks a bunch, I've started to itch and scratch now (bet others will now as well)

Just buy flea spray and do the whle house your self, a lot cheaper and does the job, but also make sure you get the cat done forst with frontline

my thoughts would be to get the proper treatment so you and your family dont have to suffer with the itch and spots. Sixty pounds isnt too much to ask for that is it really. Your cat will maybe benefit from the vet? Have you had a quote from the local council? sometimes they will also be able to point you in the right directions etc, good luck!

Original Poster

bernyrabbit

my thoughts would be to get the proper treatment so you and your family … my thoughts would be to get the proper treatment so you and your family dont have to suffer with the itch and spots. Sixty pounds isnt too much to ask for that is it really. Your cat will maybe benefit from the vet? Have you had a quote from the local council? sometimes they will also be able to point you in the right directions etc, good luck!

hi thanks didnt think of trying the council, my cat has the spot on every month, last time i was going to give him the flea injection but my vet actually said that the spot on/frontline is more effective.

Get some flea spray and spray around the edge of every room, frontline the cat and let it roam the house, clear it up in no time.

Phone the Council - most will do flea treatments for free. Using proprietary brands in the shops won't cut it - and get your cat looked at again, he/she is the source.

Yes the council do it. I used spot on, when i had a cat and it was useless. Ended up with an infestation. I changed to frontline.
    Treating it yourself is difficult, cos you have to spray EVERYTHING. Then it still might not work.
    I'd jump to it if i were you pmsl. Geez that was badddd.

buy some raid (the red can) worked a treat when my cat had fleas a couple of months ago.
    treat the cat with some good flea treatment first then spray the carpets/soft furnishings. you may have to do it twice like i did but it really did work

Original Poster

missp27

buy some raid (the red can) worked a treat when my cat had fleas a couple … buy some raid (the red can) worked a treat when my cat had fleas a couple of months ago.treat the cat with some good flea treatment first then spray the carpets/soft furnishings. you may have to do it twice like i did but it really did work

can you buy that (raid) from supermarkets or am i best going to pets at home.

When u say the council do it....I take it that's only if u live in a council house? Sorry, just being nosey lol
    Edited by: "hannah19790" 5th Oct 2010

pink-ka

can you buy that (raid) from supermarkets or am i best going to pets at … can you buy that (raid) from supermarkets or am i best going to pets at home.

yeah any supermarket or wilkinsons it's quite cheap too

Banned

hannah19790

When u say the council do it....I take it that's only if u live in a … When u say the council do it....I take it that's only if u live in a council house? Sorry, just being nosey lol

no you dont, i had to get them in for a wasps nest, op i would get a professional in the longer you leave i the worse its gonna get, eugh i got the eebies now

My cats hate being sprayed so I use flea bombs instead. I do the entire house in one go (locking the pets outside).

The bombs kill the lavae that hide in carpets and bedding, so there isn't going to be an immediate effect. However about 2 weeks later the fleas will all be dead. Now here's the important bit: When the fleas disappear you must do a second treatment. During those two weeks more lavae will have been produced and if you don't kill those as well the fleas will re-appear. This second treatment breaks the flea lifecycle so no more fleas.

For me it works out at about £50 (£25 per treatment) but it's well worth it because I find that the following 2 or 3 years are completely flea-free.

I had a flea problem even though my cat is an indoor cat. I used indorex spray and sprayed the whole house, one large can did the entire house, i wasn't sure if it would work and would of called the council to spray the house if it didn't.

Thankfully it worked. You need to treat the cat with frontline too, so that the larvae die.

Original Poster

nick1austin

My cats hate being sprayed so I use flea bombs instead. I do the entire … My cats hate being sprayed so I use flea bombs instead. I do the entire house in one go (locking the pets outside).The bombs kill the lavae that hide in carpets and bedding, so there isn't going to be an immediate effect. However about 2 weeks later the fleas will all be dead. Now here's the important bit: When the fleas disappear you must do a second treatment. During those two weeks more lavae will have been produced and if you don't kill those as well the fleas will re-appear. This second treatment breaks the flea lifecycle so no more fleas.For me it works out at about £50 (£25 per treatment) but it's well worth it because I find that the following 2 or 3 years are completely flea-free.

with the bombs do you have to empty the room before you set them off, in the front room and bedroom i have toys of my daughters etc and in my bedroom the bed takes up most of the room so would i be best to stand it on its side.

pink-ka

can you buy that (raid) from supermarkets or am i best going to pets at … can you buy that (raid) from supermarkets or am i best going to pets at home.

Raid won't work properly in most cases, you might get lucky, otherwise try getting a Pro in as suggested before. But then you'd have probably spent a small fortune on Raid by the time you discover it doesn't work and you could've got the treatment for free from the Council. Hey ho.

pink-ka

with the bombs do you have to empty the room before you set them off, in … with the bombs do you have to empty the room before you set them off, in the front room and bedroom i have toys of my daughters etc and in my bedroom the bed takes up most of the room so would i be best to stand it on its side.

I didn't move anything except some plants. I don't have any fish (which is something the flea bomb instructions warn about).

we had our first ever flea problem this year and i was devasted, hated the thought of house and cat having fleas and that our 3 children were being eaten alive. Our cat had been treated with spot on just 2 weeks before the problem began.we tried the bombs and it didnt work for us. A friend recommended that i try vetuk.co.uk/fle…-16 to treat the house and i then defleaed the cat with a flea comb and retreated with vetuk.co.uk/fle…497 which i found to be much better as you weight the cat first and then use 1 or 2 pippettes dependant on size of your cat. We also stuck a flea collar on him just to be sure. Since using these products we have not had any problems at all. and as soon as house was sprayed once we have not had 1 flea. VERY HAPPY.
    Hope this helps

Original Poster

Dawney 1981

we had our first ever flea problem this year and i was devasted, hated … we had our first ever flea problem this year and i was devasted, hated the thought of house and cat having fleas and that our 3 children were being eaten alive. Our cat had been treated with spot on just 2 weeks before the problem began.we tried the bombs and it didnt work for us. A friend recommended that i tryhttp://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-products-house-flea-sprays-c-3_419/acclaim-house-flea-spray-400ml-can-p-16 to treat the house and i then defleaed the cat with a flea comb and retreated withhttp://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-products-bob-martin-double-action-c-3_509/bob-martin-double-action-spot-on-for-cats-small-dogs-3-x-0-4ml-p-3497 which i found to be much better as you weight the cat first and then use 1 or 2 pippettes dependant on size of your cat. We also stuck a flea collar on him just to be sure. Since using these products we have not had any problems at all. and as soon as house was sprayed once we have not had 1 flea. VERY HAPPY.Hope this helps

thanks for the info, im feeling really peed off about it, im due my baby in the next 3/4 weeks and i just want it sorted before i have him, ive always treated my cat with flea things every month and hes always got a flea collar on, weve only been in the house 2months and had it re carpeted so its very frustrating to think there in the new carpets. were even thinking of getting rid of the cat just so it doesnt happen again. i think i will go to pets at home tomorrow and get some more stuff and ring the council to see if they can come and help.

Indorex, google it first.

My daughter moved into a property and had a massive problem and it really did work but make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

Its about £18 a can and available from the vets, spray every room and shut the doors as you go and finally down the stairs and passage and then leave the house and keep yourself and any pets out of the house for, I think about 4 hours.

I can only go by my daughters experience and this cleared the problem with excellent results, as I said google it and see some reviews for youself.

Spray - Acclaim
    Cat - Frontline

never get any problems

Original Poster

zezlez

Indorex, google it first. My daughter moved into a property and had a … Indorex, google it first. My daughter moved into a property and had a massive problem and it really did work but make sure you follow the instructions carefully.Its about £18 a can and available from the vets, spray every room and shut the doors as you go and finally down the stairs and passage and then leave the house and keep yourself and any pets out of the house for, I think about 4 hours.I can only go by my daughters experience and this cleared the problem with excellent results, as I said google it and see some reviews for youself.

thanks, im willing to try anything, we never had a problem at our old house so im thinking they must of been in here and come out when we pulled carpets up etc

thanks, im willing to try anything, we never had a problem at our old house so im thinking they must of been in here and come out when we pulled carpets up etc[/quote]

You have reminded me that is exactly what happened to my daughter after she took up the carpets under the stairs in the passage, I told her to put down a bowl of water where she had taken up the carpet to see if this was where they were coming from and it was and they were jumping in for a swim and drowning.

Not very nice and its making me itch thinking about it but good luck.

Original Poster

zezlez

thanks, im willing to try anything, we never had a problem at our old … thanks, im willing to try anything, we never had a problem at our old house so im thinking they must of been in here and come out when we pulled carpets up etc

You have reminded me that is exactly what happened to my daughter after she took up the carpets under the stairs in the passage, I told her to put down a bowl of water where she had taken up the carpet to see if this was where they were coming from and it was and they were jumping in for a swim and drowning.Not very nice and its making me itch thinking about it but good luck.[/quote]

there horrid little things, ive not been bit by them but my daughter crawls about on the floor all day and ive seen a few marks on her. ive seen some plug in things aswel which are meant to be good at catching them so going to try that spray and a few other things, i think i will throw out all her teddies from in the front room just incase they have got in them.

moob

Raid won't work properly in most cases, you might get lucky, otherwise … Raid won't work properly in most cases, you might get lucky, otherwise try getting a Pro in as suggested before. But then you'd have probably spent a small fortune on Raid by the time you discover it doesn't work and you could've got the treatment for free from the Council. Hey ho.

it worked for me had to spray twice though about a week apart and have had no problems what so ever since
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. PlayStation Hacked Again?23
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?33193
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News44
      4. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1020

See more discussions