Flexi pipe size help please

Posted 9th Jul
Well today decided to knock a little job off the list... The flush button for the toilet had been missing since we bought the house, couldnt find the correct button anywhere for it, so decided to replace the lot with a dual flush system... Not too hard of a job

So I've uninstalled everything, got the system Installed everything correctly except the old brass nut that connect the inlet is leaking everywhere, for 3 hours I've tried that ptfe tape, checking the nuts and washers and nope it's still leaking..

So I think it would be better replacing the copper pipe from the stop valve here...
3502667.jpg
With a flexipipe to here...

3502667.jpg
The box says its 1/2" shank...but apparently they use the internal diameter as the size which just really confuses me as it makes very little sense for the actual nut size.

Which flexipipe connection do I need, both obviously need to be female but I'm struggling understanding them all as the sizing and pictures on the screxfix site seem baffling and not well laid out.

Thank you all
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
If you've cross threaded the fill valve thread you will need to replace that.

Copper pipework is far superior to a flexi, have you checked the fibre washer is ok?
Id leave the stop valve in place and cut the copper pipe after the bend and then fit the flexihose from there horizontally and bend it up to the cistern. Will be less stress on it and they tend to only be 30cm or 45cm generally.
Is there a fibre washer on the nut where the leak is?
themorgatron09/07/2020 19:39

If you've cross threaded the fill valve thread you will need to replace …If you've cross threaded the fill valve thread you will need to replace that.Copper pipework is far superior to a flexi, have you checked the fibre washer is ok?

The fibre washer was toast, that's led me to this point.

but the manoeuvrability is so close I came close to crossthreading it, which is why I think a flexi pipe might be much better, if I can get the right connectors it should fit straight onto the stop valve and then straight onto the plastic thread.
MisterMike09/07/2020 20:07

Is there a fibre washer on the nut where the leak is?

That had bust, which is why the leak was happening, which got me to this stage
but it is so damn close I'm having to force the pipe up to reach the plastic pipe... Which is why I think a flexi pipe would be much better and fit straight on both ends if I can work out which pipe I need
ArcadeAssassin09/07/2020 19:46

Id leave the stop valve in place and cut the copper pipe after the bend …Id leave the stop valve in place and cut the copper pipe after the bend and then fit the flexihose from there horizontally and bend it up to the cistern. Will be less stress on it and they tend to only be 30cm or 45cm generally.

The valve can stay "I think" and still be replaced with a flexi pipe as it should be a double female pipe on both ends and tighten
dbizal09/07/2020 20:10

Similar to what I done: …Similar to what I done: https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/plumbing-advice-3414149

You haven't got a link to that flexi pipe part in your email inbox part have you, the fitting sizes are driving me mad here
If you don’t have a fibre washer you won’t ever get a seal
nopartylikeansclubparty09/07/2020 20:30

You haven't got a link to that flexi pipe part in your email inbox part …You haven't got a link to that flexi pipe part in your email inbox part have you, the fitting sizes are driving me mad here

You need something like this... amazon.co.uk/Fem…8-7

But you need to find out the size of your Isolating valve and also your fill valve.
Leave the isolator as it is, cut the pipe after the bend and use a pushfit flexihose with the cistern connector on the end. Many available from screwfix etc. The distance from the isolator to the cistern will be too long for a flexihose and it will go diagonal at a stretch and will look terrible.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 9th Jul
just go to your local plumbing merchant and buy a 1/2 inch fibre washer for pennies.
I did something very similar I found that 1/2" to 1/2" flexible hose fitted fine on the isolation valve and toilet inlet
BilzR09/07/2020 21:34

I did something very similar I found that 1/2" to 1/2" flexible hose …I did something very similar I found that 1/2" to 1/2" flexible hose fitted fine on the isolation valve and toilet inlet

Its took me a while but that's the size I've come up with too, should be picking one up today
nopartylikeansclubparty10/07/2020 05:17

Its took me a while but that's the size I've come up with too, should be …Its took me a while but that's the size I've come up with too, should be picking one up today

That'a exactly what I done and it worked a charm. Good luck mate!
dbizal10/07/2020 09:02

That'a exactly what I done and it worked a charm. Good luck mate!

Worked a charm mate... 5 mins all done and not a leak and looks miles better too
Post a comment
@
    Text