Flickering laptop screen.

Posted 5th Feb
hi, wonder if anyone can help me on this odd issue.
Win10 laptop working fine until this afternoon. Started with an intermittent now permanent flickering image on the top third of the screen.Flickering Image is a mirror copy of the bottom quarter of whatever is displayed on the screen. The flicker line is horizontal and the rate is fast. I have set up a 2nd screen from the vga port on the laptop which works fine. I have installed all w10 updates. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device driver. I have updated the driver. I can't roll back the driver as w10 was only installed a few weeks back. I have not installed any new apps or software. The situation slightly improves if I switch off the laptop and leave it for a few hours, but rapid deteriorates on power up. I suspect a hardware issues, but don't know how to prove it. Any ideas. Thanks

3401246-9EcPT.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Any chance your screen resolution has changed? Have you tried switching it between resolutions to see if it makes a difference?
Sticking it on an external screen pretty much tells you it’s hardware.

Could be something as simple as the screen cable needs reseated, but more than likely the cable or screen’s goosed. If you can see the flicker before windows launches, it’s also another indicator that it’s not drivers or OS.

Have you changed the resolution or frequency?
More than likely overheating, at least blow fans compressed air when off and ensure adequate ventilation.
I’d guess that it could be a problem with the internal ribbon connector to the laptops display. I have an old Macbook that occasionally flickers and a little gentle tap on the right sweet spot gets it displaying properly again.
kerbdog05/02/2020 00:18

Any chance your screen resolution has changed? Have you tried switching it …Any chance your screen resolution has changed? Have you tried switching it between resolutions to see if it makes a difference?

Tried that one, no oy. Thanks
colinged05/02/2020 07:38

More than likely overheating, at least blow fans compressed air when off …More than likely overheating, at least blow fans compressed air when off and ensure adequate ventilation.

Did that quite recently, but will do again. It could be part of the issue as the fan has always run excessively IMHO.
Cenobite05/02/2020 00:21

Sticking it on an external screen pretty much tells you it’s h …Sticking it on an external screen pretty much tells you it’s hardware.Could be something as simple as the screen cable needs reseated, but more than likely the cable or screen’s goosed. If you can see the flicker before windows launches, it’s also another indicator that it’s not drivers or OS.Have you changed the resolution or frequency?

Yes, the flicker is present during the windows start process and if I go into the BIOS screen. HAve tried changing frequency and refresh with no effect. Thanks
airbus33005/02/2020 08:27

Did that quite recently, but will do again. It could be part of the issue …Did that quite recently, but will do again. It could be part of the issue as the fan has always run excessively IMHO.

Try installing speedfan or some other monitoring..just watch for bloatware (choose advanced or custom and uncheck unneeded)
colinged05/02/2020 08:37

Try installing speedfan or some other monitoring..just watch for bloatware …Try installing speedfan or some other monitoring..just watch for bloatware (choose advanced or custom and uncheck unneeded)

Thanks. No bloatware. This is a 7 year old lap which sits in my office and never moves. No new apps have been installed to my knowledge. The only major change was a move to W10 last month and has been stable til yesterday.
Come on guys. Waffling on about resolution changes etc. BASICS. Test it.

boot into diagnostic mode. The first test is usually screen/video adapter. Google the manufacturer name to see which pf key to hold down at boot time
Edited by: "ccnp" 5th Feb
airbus33005/02/2020 08:41

Thanks. No bloatware. This is a 7 year old lap which sits in my office and …Thanks. No bloatware. This is a 7 year old lap which sits in my office and never moves. No new apps have been installed to my knowledge. The only major change was a move to W10 last month and has been stable til yesterday.

Sorry I meant when installing an app to monitor speed and temp...watch not to install any unnecessary apps that are bundled with it
ive got the same issue mate. Win10 too......just happened out of nowehere.
OP,does your screen also have a purple hue?

another issue that's happened with the screen is that my mouse cursor gets stuck on the screen every few seconds.
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 5th Feb
EN1GMA05/02/2020 09:54

ive got the same issue mate. Win10 too......just happened out of nowehere. …ive got the same issue mate. Win10 too......just happened out of nowehere. OP,does your screen also have a purple hue?another issue that's happened with the screen is that my mouse cursor gets stuck on the screen every few seconds.

Sorry no purple or stuck cursor I'm afraid. Having spent quite a few hours on this, and there are lots of different potential failures to check for. I booted into Diagnostic mode but could find no fault with the system or driver, as suggested above. My CPU temps are measured and fine, so all thats left is the screen itself, so £50 on ebay and a youtube video to replace it I guess.
Have you tried on external screen? Tbh it looks more like a ribbon fault from experience. I would try it on an external screen if you can to rule out graphics chip. Then try reseating/replacing the cable.

Most laptop LCD screens are universal and will fit so if got any other same size laptop chances are the LCD would fit etc.. so could use another faulty one as a donor
.MUFC.06/02/2020 08:00

Have you tried on external screen? Tbh it looks more like a ribbon fault …Have you tried on external screen? Tbh it looks more like a ribbon fault from experience. I would try it on an external screen if you can to rule out graphics chip. Then try reseating/replacing the cable. Most laptop LCD screens are universal and will fit so if got any other same size laptop chances are the LCD would fit etc.. so could use another faulty one as a donor

Hi, external monitor on vga port works fine. It feels like a temp. related issue as the lappy screen works nearly peerfectly for the first 3-4 mins after boot from cold, but cpu temps are ok. Graphics are integral.
airbus33006/02/2020 08:32

Hi, external monitor on vga port works fine. It feels like a temp. related …Hi, external monitor on vga port works fine. It feels like a temp. related issue as the lappy screen works nearly peerfectly for the first 3-4 mins after boot from cold, but cpu temps are ok. Graphics are integral.

More likely cable or lcd issue then. Cable is probably cheapest option if you can find one. You could try reseating it etc. Might even cure it.
.MUFC.06/02/2020 09:25

More likely cable or lcd issue then. Cable is probably cheapest option if …More likely cable or lcd issue then. Cable is probably cheapest option if you can find one. You could try reseating it etc. Might even cure it.

Yes, I agree. have reseated the cable at the screen end and no change. Is there anyting to be gained from reseating it at the board end. If that is possible.?
airbus33006/02/2020 20:48

Yes, I agree. have reseated the cable at the screen end and no change. Is …Yes, I agree. have reseated the cable at the screen end and no change. Is there anyting to be gained from reseating it at the board end. If that is possible.?

Yes, Sadly it will most likely involve taking lots of screws to gain access etc. Have you tried wiggling, lightly pulling on the cable whilst switched on and see if there is any improvement?
.MUFC.06/02/2020 21:27

Yes, Sadly it will most likely involve taking lots of screws to gain …Yes, Sadly it will most likely involve taking lots of screws to gain access etc. Have you tried wiggling, lightly pulling on the cable whilst switched on and see if there is any improvement?

Ok, I'll see if I can do the other end of the cable. I was a bit worried about elecric shocks from fiddling with the screen while on, or short circuiting something. The oddest thing is that since I have turned the brighness down to minimum the screen has largely stabilised, but with a 1 cm block of horizontal lines at the bottom. If I increase the screen brightness the flicker come back. You can see them at the bottom of this pic. Wierd 39852740-MCEP5.jpg
airbus33006/02/2020 22:04

Ok, I'll see if I can do the other end of the cable. I was a bit worried …Ok, I'll see if I can do the other end of the cable. I was a bit worried about elecric shocks from fiddling with the screen while on, or short circuiting something. The oddest thing is that since I have turned the brighness down to minimum the screen has largely stabilised, but with a 1 cm block of horizontal lines at the bottom. If I increase the screen brightness the flicker come back. You can see them at the bottom of this pic. Wierd [Image]

To be honest, That's looking more like the LCD being at fault. I've seen similar on TV's. I've took loads of laptops apart and had them switched on. Just got to be careful not to touch any contacts. The chassis is ok to touch etc..

Whilst you've got easy access to the screen have a look on the back for the part number. Their aren't many manufacturers, Think most I come across are LG and most seem to be pretty much universal fit. If the cable fit's they should work etc.. so if you've got another faulty one it may be worth checking if that'll work. Might save you paying for a new screen etc..

The brackets usually unscrew off the sides and should align with other lcds etc..
Edited by: ".MUFC." 6th Feb
.MUFC.06/02/2020 22:17

To be honest, That's looking more like the LCD being at fault. I've seen …To be honest, That's looking more like the LCD being at fault. I've seen similar on TV's. I've took loads of laptops apart and had them switched on. Just got to be careful not to touch any contacts. The chassis is ok to touch etc.. Whilst you've got easy access to the screen have a look on the back for the part number. Their aren't many manufacturers, Think most I come across are LG and most seem to be pretty much universal fit. If the cable fit's they should work etc.. so if you've got another faulty one it may be worth checking if that'll work. Might save you paying for a new screen etc..The brackets usually unscrew off the sides and should align with other lcds etc..

Thanks for the opinion. I have had the screen out to reseat the cable which is a standard 40pin one. SAdly I don't have a spare old panel to try out. I have the part no. and one is available a few miles away. Gonna have to bite the bullet and buy one I think. Cheers
airbus33006/02/2020 22:26

Thanks for the opinion. I have had the screen out to reseat the cable …Thanks for the opinion. I have had the screen out to reseat the cable which is a standard 40pin one. SAdly I don't have a spare old panel to try out. I have the part no. and one is available a few miles away. Gonna have to bite the bullet and buy one I think. Cheers

You're welcome. Please do keep us updated.
I haven't noticed anyone mention it yet but it sounds awfully like the LCD Inverter has gone faulty. Usually results in flickering (or blank screen) and does tend to somewhat stabilize when you reduce brightness. The last time I had one go, I hit Ebay and picked one up for around £15. Bit fiddly to fit but not impossible.

I'm not sure how you'd "test" without a similar model to transfer it to but the 'effect' tends to get worse the more you increase the brightness. Also, you may find you can't increase to "full" brightness. Just Google your laptop model and "lcd inverter" to see if yours has a particular one. You can then have a look at prices.

As I say, it's just an observation from the symptoms you describe and not a professional diagnosis!

All the best, Phsy.
Thanks for the comments above.
Turned out to be the screen after all.
Credit to TR Inspirations in Newport who sorted it out for £51 and offered some tech help which was invaluable.
airbus33010/02/2020 15:41

Thanks for the comments above.Turned out to be the screen after all.Credit …Thanks for the comments above.Turned out to be the screen after all.Credit to TR Inspirations in Newport who sorted it out for £51 and offered some tech help which was invaluable.

Thanks for the update, airbus330. Glad to hear you got it sorted. Did they tell you exactly what it was? It might just help someone in the future to diagnose a similar issue.

In fact, someone else has asked recently a similar problem but their screen won't come on at all.
Phsycronix10/02/2020 16:18

Thanks for the update, airbus330. Glad to hear you got it sorted. Did they …Thanks for the update, airbus330. Glad to hear you got it sorted. Did they tell you exactly what it was? It might just help someone in the future to diagnose a similar issue.In fact, someone else has asked recently a similar problem but their screen won't come on at all.

No, it appears that there are so many factors that can be at fault on the PCB attached to the screen panel. Unfotunately, for troubleshooting, its is a case of work your way down the list of suspects, Driver, graphics card , App, link cable, inverter, screen. Many faults show a common symptom If I did this again I'd go straight for a new screen if the driver is ok. Adding the cables if the machine is regularly banged around in a bag. If the lappy has a VGA port then you can verify the graphics card if a 2nd. screen works from it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants