Flickering lights/electricity

Posted 8th Sep
Hi all.

The electricity in our house has recently started flickering briefly. Its not a single light as the power shower very briefly loses power when it's on and the lights flicker at the same time. This happens in a split second and we don't lose power completely.

Any ideas or do I need to call out an electrician?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Speak to you neighbours and ask if they're seeing the same thing.
Could be a worn old cable needs replacing is it a old building
Old building, flickering lights. Do you get cold spots in the house and the feeling you're being watched?
I take it you live in the sticks maybe a surge of some sort.
radium08/09/2020 19:17

Old building, flickering lights. Do you get cold spots in the house and …Old building, flickering lights. Do you get cold spots in the house and the feeling you're being watched?

Haha, no cold spots yet ;-)
Gohan12308/09/2020 19:37

I take it you live in the sticks maybe a surge of some sort.

Not quite. Down in Kent but all started after we had a few surges a 1 or 2 brief power outtages a few weeks back
It will depend on the cable length from Fuse box to the power shower and the load that the shower requires, with high restive loads as with power showers it lowers the voltage so lights can dim as the voltage is being used to kick start the shower heating circuit. If this has started doing this recently it is worth getting this checked by a qualified electrician after a voltage spike as maybe the Power Shower is on the way out.
E_T_C08/09/2020 20:18

It will depend on the cable length from Fuse box to the power shower and …It will depend on the cable length from Fuse box to the power shower and the load that the shower requires, with high restive loads as with power showers it lowers the voltage so lights can dim as the voltage is being used to kick start the shower heating circuit. If this has started doing this recently it is worth getting this checked by a qualified electrician after a voltage spike as maybe the Power Shower is on the way out.

Thanks for the info. Thing is, while it definitely happens when the power shower is on, it also happens when it isnt. I've noticed the lights flicker in the kitchen as well. It's really very brief and almost not noticeable. I just tend to notice it more when the power shower is on as its loud and also sounds like it loses power.
I had an identical problem about 10 years ago, dips in the power just enough for the lights to go off very briefly. The details are very vague now but I worked out... can’t remember how... that it wasn’t a fault in my house. I realised it was happening only when it was windy though. Rang the local electricity distribution company, very helpful they were, took the details and investigated, they found a problem in the local network and the problem was fixed. Obviously the wind was causing something to happen. What’s the weather like round your way?
If all the lights in the house flicker or dim slightly at the same time its more than likely caused by something upstream of your house in the national grid.
We often notice in the winter after about 6pm our lights would dim slightly for about half a second and I was told it was because of the amount of people switching kettles and lights on after returning from work, I assume this was true because once 9pm arrived we never had any flickering.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 8th Sep
northeastkev08/09/2020 21:14

I had an identical problem about 10 years ago, dips in the power just …I had an identical problem about 10 years ago, dips in the power just enough for the lights to go off very briefly. The details are very vague now but I worked out... can’t remember how... that it wasn’t a fault in my house. I realised it was happening only when it was windy though. Rang the local electricity distribution company, very helpful they were, took the details and investigated, they found a problem in the local network and the problem was fixed. Obviously the wind was causing something to happen. What’s the weather like round your way?

That's really helpful actually although weather is pretty calm so might not be that. But I am going to call the electrical company tomorrow to let them know.
PaulandPam08/09/2020 21:17

If all the lights in the house flicker or dim slightly at the same time …If all the lights in the house flicker or dim slightly at the same time its more than likely caused by something upstream of your house in the national grid.We often notice in the winter after about 6pm our lights would dim slightly for about half a second and I was told it was because of the amount of people switching kettles and lights on after returning from work, I assume this was true because once 9pm arrived we never had any flickering.

Thanks, calling the electrical company tomorrow to inform them and see what they say.
Depends how old the wiring is, it could be to do with a loose connection either in the consumer unit or a junction box. Do you know if the lights that flicker are all on same circuit? Can all flickering lights be switched off from one breaker in the consumer unit? If so do you have other lights that do not flicker and are on a seperate breaker? It could even be a dodgy live or neutral connection in your consumer unit.
northeastkev08/09/2020 21:14

I had an identical problem about 10 years ago, dips in the power just …I had an identical problem about 10 years ago, dips in the power just enough for the lights to go off very briefly. The details are very vague now but I worked out... can’t remember how... that it wasn’t a fault in my house. I realised it was happening only when it was windy though. Rang the local electricity distribution company, very helpful they were, took the details and investigated, they found a problem in the local network and the problem was fixed. Obviously the wind was causing something to happen. What’s the weather like round your way?

This takes me back to a 'leccy thing years ago. I used to be keen on hifi and one day the FM tuner started crackling from time to time. I found it happened on another radio too. Realised it was coming from outside of the house so trooped off with a portable radio and walked around till I located the source half a mile away near a country path. Above I could see high voltage electric cables and something metallic hanging on them that was blowing around in the wind. A call to the 'leccy board and it was soon removed.

However I don't think a flimsy bit of metal would cause lights to dim, it'd get vapourised if heavy currents ran through it.

Could possibly be an inductive load like a boiler motor starting up. Or maybe even a freezer.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 8th Sep
I had a similar problem and after it went on for weeks discovered we had a hairline crack in shower trap which was dripping very slowly onto light fitting.
Might be worth a look?
Post a comment
@
    Text