Flight delay compensation and insurance claim

Found 12th Jul
I've got a bit of a dilemma. I recently flew from Spain to the UK and the flight was delayed 24 hours. Knowing that I have travel insurance, after I spent 6 hours in the airport (3 hours spent inside the plane without going anywhere) I decided to buy my own accommodation and another flight for earlier next day since the company I was flying with had no answer when the flight was going to leave or what the accommodation arrangements were.

Now my dilemma, from the EU rights I know that I am entitled to get compensation as the flight was delayed for more than 3 hours. However, since I booked another flight, I had to book my own accommodation and am now in the process of claiming the money back for this from the travel insurance. The problem is that the insurer (a bank) tells me that basically if I get compensation I cannot claim the accommodation as the compensation would cover it. I don't find this fair, as if I had decided to wait for however long I would have received the compensation + accommodation + flight. How can I solve this as to get the compensation that I am entitled to by law, but also get my money back for accommodation and the new flight?

Thank you.
Community Updates
AskHolidays & Leisure
5 Comments
Don't assume you are entitled to compensation, my son was delayed 24, hours and they are refusing to pay anything as they reckon it was not under their control, this was from Norwegian
Compensation = reimbursement of actual expenses, provided you get that you have been compensated. If you get less than the costs then your insurer will pay out the difference.

You should have waited!
niconelove38 m ago

Don't assume you are entitled to compensation, my son was delayed 24, …Don't assume you are entitled to compensation, my son was delayed 24, hours and they are refusing to pay anything as they reckon it was not under their control, this was from Norwegian

Thank you for the reply. They admitted and gave fliers about compensation. It was a technical fault.
cmdr_elito16 m ago

Compensation = reimbursement of actual expenses, provided you get that you …Compensation = reimbursement of actual expenses, provided you get that you have been compensated. If you get less than the costs then your insurer will pay out the difference. You should have waited!

It wasn't worth waiting on the airport floor for 20 hours. They seemed super stingy and tried to avoid offering any information about hotels or transfers. I had texts from. The airline that they were putting people in hotels but all the people on. The ground I spoke to knew nothing of that. There has to be a difference between waiting 5 hours and 24 hours i.e. any extra expenses
colossus15 m ago

It wasn't worth waiting on the airport floor for 20 hours. They seemed …It wasn't worth waiting on the airport floor for 20 hours. They seemed super stingy and tried to avoid offering any information about hotels or transfers. I had texts from. The airline that they were putting people in hotels but all the people on. The ground I spoke to knew nothing of that. There has to be a difference between waiting 5 hours and 24 hours i.e. any extra expenses

Again you have to provide receipts for those reasonable expenses and they should be covered, this could include food accommodation and travel (there are some clauses around this in the law such as not covering alcohol or luxury meals).

Compensation for inconvenience is classed only as a goodwill gesture (from insurance company perspective) and insurance companies will take into account any payment you may have received directly from the airline before paying out, it’ll be in the small print somewhere.

Take a look here: citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 12th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions