Flight Rebooked - no travel fare given

Found 26th Jun
Hi everyone I was looking for some advice.

I booked a flight last month from Spain to London Heathrow. On the day, there was an air strike in france so after waiting almost 11 hours in the Airport, we were told the flight has been cancelled. I then received an email telling me that my flight will be the next day, flying to a different airport (Gatwick). The airline is Vueling.

During this time, I was given a hotel stay and was told by the representative, because there are no flights going to Heathrow that I would be reimbursed for taxi fare from Gatwick to Heathrow.

I was also told that the following day, there would be a shuttle bus to pick me up from the hotel and to the airport. This didn't arrive.

All together I paid £30 ish pounds for the taxi to the airport from the hotel, and around £70 for a taxi from Gatwick to Heathrow.

I then emailed Vueling explaining the situation and expecting that they would do the right thing and reimburse my travel cost (as they promised), but they now refuse to.

Surely, they are in the wrong especially as they changed my arrival airport.

Any advice? Thanks!
Community Updates
AskHolidays & Leisure
11 Comments
ccnp10 m ago

1. You had travel insurance didn't you? There is probably a claim you …1. You had travel insurance didn't you? There is probably a claim you can make.2. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/

and if it cost over £100 and you used a credit card, you have S75 rights
ccnp1 h, 37 m ago

1. You had travel insurance didn't you? There is probably a claim you …1. You had travel insurance didn't you? There is probably a claim you can make.2. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/

Tbh with travel insurance there will be an excess, so it probably wouldn’t be worth claiming.

If the representatives said that they would reimburse those costs then take it up with Vueling again, maybe email the CEO email address as you’ll be passed onto on a higher customer services level than the usual complaints route.
As your flight was covered by EU law (which it is) then you are legally entitled to payment from Vueling airline:

• Reimbursement for care and assistance. If you paid for food, drink or accommodation that your airline should have provided, you can claim reasonable costs back.
  • Compensation for the disruption. If the delay was severe and could have been avoided by the airline, the law sets out fixed levels of compensation you should receive.
Have you actually filed a Vueling Compensation claim, or have you just contacted them by email asking for a refund of transport costs only
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 26th Jun
Hi all,

Thanks for replying.

ccnp8 h, 38 m ago

No I didn't have travel insurance. And I didn't book it via a credit card either. I've looked at the link before but they say that as the cause for the cancellation was an air strike in France, it doesn't cover compensation. However, regardless of that, I am not worried about claiming compensation, I just want the money that I paid for the taxis back.
sicklysweet7 h, 1 m ago

Tbh with travel insurance there will be an excess, so it probably wouldn’t …Tbh with travel insurance there will be an excess, so it probably wouldn’t be worth claiming. If the representatives said that they would reimburse those costs then take it up with Vueling again, maybe email the CEO email address as you’ll be passed onto on a higher customer services level than the usual complaints route.

I actually waited over 2 weeks for a response initially. So I called them up and told them the issue, the representative then emailed me and told me to write down whatever the issue is by replying to the email. Yesterday, I emailed the CEO and the response I received was the same - that I am not entitled to be reimbursed, albeit, in this case they replied within a day.
Toptrumpet6 h, 36 m ago

As your flight was covered by EU law (which it is) then you are legally …As your flight was covered by EU law (which it is) then you are legally entitled to payment from Vueling airline:Reimbursement for care and assistance. If you paid for food, drink or accommodation that your airline should have provided, you can claim reasonable costs back.Compensation for the disruption. If the delay was severe and could have been avoided by the airline, the law sets out fixed levels of compensation you should receive.Have you actually filed a Vueling Compensation claim, or have you just contacted them by email asking for a refund of transport costs only

Yes, I understand but due to it being a strike I am not covered under that law, and I am fine by that. I just want taxi fares back. I contacted them telling the issue and they told me to reply to the email they just sent regarding my issues.
Without any proof of the agreed reimbursement, I can't see any way of them paying up.
eslick29 m ago

everything you need is …everything you need is herehttps://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/use the revolver site to do the letter, you will get a quick reply and they should pay out as per the regulations. Dont use a claims company , it can all be done for free.https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/#resolvertool

But the strike was beyond the airlines control
chocci2 m ago

totally missed that
If your flight is delayed due to a strike and you are stuck at the airport, you are entitled to food and refreshments in accordance with EU Regulation 261/2004 andif your flight was delayed until the next day you are entitled to overnight accommodation in a hotel, including transfers.
I would write to Vueling again quoting the EU regulation and outline the expense you want reimbursing.
If they claim they are not required to honour any claim as the air strike was out of their control, why then did they pay for accomodation?
Also doa free online check to see if you are due any compensation using your flight details.
chocci12 h, 54 m ago

Yep!
Toptrumpet4 h, 59 m ago

If your flight is delayed due to a strike and you are stuck at the …If your flight is delayed due to a strike and you are stuck at the airport, you are entitled to food and refreshments in accordance with EU Regulation 261/2004 andif your flight was delayed until the next day you are entitled to overnight accommodation in a hotel, including transfers. I would write to Vueling again quoting the EU regulation and outline the expense you want reimbursing.If they claim they are not required to honour any claim as the air strike was out of their control, why then did they pay for accomodation?Also doa free online check to see if you are due any compensation using your flight details.

I was given a hotel but its the taxi fares that I was promised that I am annoyed about. Losing £100 on taxis which I didn't have to spend if I had flown to Heathrow in the first place.

How can I check online for free?
There are many companies offering a ‘free check’, just don’t actually sign up to them as they will take a % if they take your claim up on your behalf. Just google ‘Am I entitled to flight cancellation compensation’.
Alternatively, look at the CAA website for guidance.
Travel Insurance would have covered you, something to bear in mind for your next trip.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants