Flights to the USA

Posted 5th Jan
Can anyone recommend an airline to fly to San Francisco. It will have to be in economy. Last time i booked a long haul (for my daughter) to Bali, i found out that you have to pay extra for almost everything (suitcase, meal). Do long haul flights have stopped including these options? In the past we flew with Virgin (not too impressed), BA (they were pretty good), would you recommend any other airline for such a long flight? TIA
J
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Virgin are usually pretty good. You will get food and drink included on long haul flights. And also you should get at least 20kg luggage with all companies.
MonkeyMan9006/01/2020 00:02

Virgin are usually pretty good. You will get food and drink included on …Virgin are usually pretty good. You will get food and drink included on long haul flights. And also you should get at least 20kg luggage with all companies.

Thanks, last time we used Virgin for a trip to the US, this was a few years ago, we were not too impressed. Are you sure about the food and luggage. My daughter and boyfriend went to Bali last year with Qatar Airway, she had to pay for choosing her seats (came to about an extra £100) and i am pretty sure she to pay also extra for taking a 20kg suitcase
jeannot1806/01/2020 00:06

Thanks, last time we used Virgin for a trip to the US, this was a few …Thanks, last time we used Virgin for a trip to the US, this was a few years ago, we were not too impressed. Are you sure about the food and luggage. My daughter and boyfriend went to Bali last year with Qatar Airway, she had to pay for choosing her seats (came to about an extra £100) and i am pretty sure she to pay also extra for taking a 20kg suitcase

It is all free. Luggage aswell even on Qatar. You're allowed 2 cases weighing no more than 23kg with Qatar other airlines are different but free. And you shouldn't pay for your seats as it is free when you check in which is usually 24 to 48 hours before travel.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 6th Jan
Most airlines offer economy light fares which only include hand luggage, you can use kayak to check flights and their filter lets you choose ones with luggage
jeannot1806/01/2020 00:06

Thanks, last time we used Virgin for a trip to the US, this was a few …Thanks, last time we used Virgin for a trip to the US, this was a few years ago, we were not too impressed. Are you sure about the food and luggage. My daughter and boyfriend went to Bali last year with Qatar Airway, she had to pay for choosing her seats (came to about an extra £100) and i am pretty sure she to pay also extra for taking a 20kg suitcase

!00% all food and drinks (as much as you want inc alcohol) is included with all Virgin long haul, the cheapest fares are economy light and only include a 10kg cabin bag. As with all airlines if you want to reserve a seat in economy you pay extra, personally i never do and have never had a problem. If you choose economy classic (with luggage) you can choose your seat in advance.
Ok thank you, found a decent priced flight with BA, i will check with Virgin too.
J
Search with Google flights
Based on what you said about Virgin / B.A. it seems you are best making your own choice & then you simply cannot blame anyone else.
If you deem Virgin to be bad (as per your opening statement) then you've likely never "really" been cattle class long haul.
You want cheap, you want cattle class, but you want better than cattle class...
Either spend more or suck the fact that it isn't he best but gets you there.
I personally prefer Virgin to BA, but they are very similar, both include food. The cheapest basic economy fares won't include hold luggage or reserved seats. Delta is OK but food not as good standard as Virgin.
Most airlines charge extra for luggage and seat selection these days. I am guessing you are wanting a direct flight? And you have not said which airport you want to fly out of. Since the demise of thomas cook there’s not many options direct to San Fran from the uk. You could fly into France, Germany or Holland first to increase choices.
BA steerage class is absolutely shocking, particularly on the older fleets like the 777's they use for Vegas. Frankly their premium economy ain't much better. If it fits, look at Air New Zealand. Nice service and planes. Sale on at the mo, aout £330 return.
airbus33006/01/2020 23:30

BA steerage class is absolutely shocking, particularly on the older fleets …BA steerage class is absolutely shocking, particularly on the older fleets like the 777's they use for Vegas. Frankly their premium economy ain't much better. If it fits, look at Air New Zealand. Nice service and planes. Sale on at the mo, aout £330 return.

They only fly to laxfrom Heathrow. But my favoured airline.
Wadda06/01/2020 22:45

Most airlines charge extra for luggage and seat selection these days. I am …Most airlines charge extra for luggage and seat selection these days. I am guessing you are wanting a direct flight? And you have not said which airport you want to fly out of. Since the demise of thomas cook there’s not many options direct to San Fran from the uk. You could fly into France, Germany or Holland first to increase choices.

yes i saw that, this is mad it never used to be like this, i understand when you fly to Europe on the low cost airlines, but if you are going to the US for 2 or 3 weeks you need at least one suitcase. As for charging for choosing your seat that another rip off too
Air New Zealand don't have the dates we want.
McGus, the moan about Virgin was that they made us stand at LHR for 40 minutes before boarding because of a problem with the plane, when they could have told everyone to go back to their seat and call us when the plane was ready, I know that i cannot expect too much with economy tickets
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions