Groups

Flipper energy switch

Signed up to Flipper, for a fee of £25 they say they can save us £1007.25 a year on electricity, sounds good to me.

44 Comments

How much is your electricity bill at the moment then? I'm just wondering what % annual saving we're talking about.

It looks good on paper. One stumbling block for me though is the fact that you have to chase previous suppliers for refunds if you were in credit, or them taking money when you were in debit. Sounds like hassle possibly 3 or 4 times a year.

deeky

It looks good on paper. One stumbling block for me though is the fact … It looks good on paper. One stumbling block for me though is the fact that you have to chase previous suppliers for refunds if you were in credit, or them taking money when you were in debit. Sounds like hassle possibly 3 or 4 times a year.

I phoned my supplier last Tuesday and my over payment was in my bank account by Monday

Banned

summerof76

I phoned my supplier last Tuesday and my over payment was in my bank … I phoned my supplier last Tuesday and my over payment was in my bank account by Monday

And I bet it was a bloke you spoke to

MrScotchBonnet

And I bet it was a bloke you spoke to

It was and I sweet talked him into my refund

Original Poster

Delbert Grady

How much is your electricity bill at the moment then? I'm just wondering … How much is your electricity bill at the moment then? I'm just wondering what % annual saving we're talking about.

£3250 down to £2243

airfix

£3250 down to £2243

But that's a projected figure, right?

Original Poster

deeky

But that's a projected figure, right?

It says estimated.

Meh, see little amateurish things like typos in their FAQs put me off

http://s4.postimg.org/3vn3x00v1/screenshot_1815.png

Original Poster

deeky

Meh, see little amateurish things like typos in their FAQs put me off

Trustpilot reviews look good though.

uk.trustpilot.com/rev…e=1
    Edited by: "airfix" 23rd Aug 2016

Banned

I must be missing something. People spend thousands on electric per year! oO

How do you use that much?

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

I must be missing something. People spend thousands on electric per year! … I must be missing something. People spend thousands on electric per year! oOHow do you use that much?

We only have electric for everything, its a new house with ASHPs, UFH, large house over 3 floors.

Yes we are disappointed as were promised cheaper bills with the green tech, I may look into solar panels to produce electric to run the heat pumps though.

summerof76

I phoned my supplier last Tuesday and my over payment was in my bank … I phoned my supplier last Tuesday and my over payment was in my bank account by Monday

I thought new rules bought in by OFGEM meant that they had to refund overpayments, perhaps it is only certain suppliers.

MrScotchBonnet

I must be missing something. People spend thousands on electric per year! … I must be missing something. People spend thousands on electric per year! oOHow do you use that much?

That saving is more than I spend on gas and electric combined!

Quite surprised how much people spend, we're only around £80 a month for gas and electric in a 4 bed detached and i'm not stingy with the electric - several TVs, amp, sub, games consoles etc..... I may be a little bit stingy with the gas mind

airfix

We only have electric for everything, its a new house with ASHPs, UFH, … We only have electric for everything, its a new house with ASHPs, UFH, large house over 3 floors. Yes we are disappointed as were promised cheaper bills with the green tech, I may look into solar panels to produce electric to run the heat pumps though.

I think you missed out Google Datacentre in your tech list.

Solar should be on the top of your list. I'm generating about 3MW a year, though can't use it all. My projected Estimated Electric is down 1500kW over the last year.

This new Flipper has no place on HUKD. Anyone who is too lazy to switch suppliers and claim Quidco/TCB, probably never found here

[email protected]

I thought new rules bought in by OFGEM meant that they had to refund … I thought new rules bought in by OFGEM meant that they had to refund overpayments, perhaps it is only certain suppliers.

I had an over payment of nearly £458 and after I gave my readings they took the money for my latest bill and refunded me what was left over, nearly £300. Better in my pocket than theirs X)

Oneday77

This new Flipper has no place on HUKD. Anyone who is too lazy to switch … This new Flipper has no place on HUKD. Anyone who is too lazy to switch suppliers and claim Quidco/TCB, probably never found here

Do not forget MSE

thewongwing101

Do not forget MSE

Reported for profanity! X)

airfix

£3250 down to £2243

wtf! do you live in a ten bedroom mansion with a heated swimming pool? oO

Parfy

Quite surprised how much people spend, we're only around £80 a month for … Quite surprised how much people spend, we're only around £80 a month for gas and electric in a 4 bed detached and i'm not stingy with the electric - several TVs, amp, sub, games consoles etc..... I may be a little bit stingy with the gas mind

same here - £58 per month for gas & electric (actual, not estimated) for a 1970's 4 bed detached.

octopus energy - 10p kwh electric, 2.7p gas

chocci

same here - £58 per month for gas & electric (actual, not estimated) for … same here - £58 per month for gas & electric (actual, not estimated) for a 1970's 4 bed detached.octopus energy - 10p kwh electric, 2.7p gas

National statistics say that the avarage Electric usage for the year £592 and Gas £752. So if you take the Gas figure and multiply it by four (electric is about four times the price) then you would get a combined figure of about £3600. So in the the same ball park as the op.

Your fuel usage is very low. My electric doesn't change much all year round. My gas in the summer is about £20 a month but changes to about £20 a week at worst (Jan)

So my total is only about £840 for the year so only about two thirds of the national average. But if I convert the gas use to electric that jumps to £2460!
    If I was on electric only in my house I would be investing in as much self havisted energy as possible.

airfix

£3250 down to £2243

You own an aircraft carrier? Mine is less than £300 a year!

Original Poster

When we built the house the only heating options were oil or electric, Bosch Worcester told us Air source heat pumps would be more cost effective to run and as its a cleaner energy complied with FITs etc.

Now after a few years I'm not convinced its much cheaper, we spent extra on the heat pumps and underfloor, I like it but think its not cheap to run. Next time I build will be looking into a smaller house with solar and heat pumps combined.

Oneday77

I think you missed out Google Datacentre in your tech list. Solar should … I think you missed out Google Datacentre in your tech list. Solar should be on the top of your list. I'm generating about 3MW a year, though can't use it all. My projected Estimated Electric is down 1500kW over the last year.

Oneday77

I think you missed out Google Datacentre in your tech list. Solar should … I think you missed out Google Datacentre in your tech list. Solar should be on the top of your list. I'm generating about 3MW a year, though can't use it all. My projected Estimated Electric is down 1500kW over the last year.

chocci

wtf! do you live in a ten bedroom mansion with a heated swimming pool? oO

Original Poster

Graham1979

You own an aircraft carrier? Mine is less than £300 a year!

What size house is it? I was happy when our total usage was a couple of grand, £40 a week for cooking, heating, showers, evrything seemed Ok to me....and the 60 panny zt plasma

airfix

When we built the house the only heating options were oil or electric, … When we built the house the only heating options were oil or electric, Bosch Worcester told us Air source heat pumps would be more cost effective to run and as its a cleaner energy complied with FITs etc. Now after a few years I'm not convinced its much cheaper, we spent extra on the heat pumps and underfloor, I like it but think its not cheap to run. Next time I build will be looking into a smaller house with solar and heat pumps combined.

so how much is your kwh for electric?

Original Poster

Oneday77

This new Flipper has no place on HUKD. Anyone who is too lazy to switch … This new Flipper has no place on HUKD. Anyone who is too lazy to switch suppliers and claim Quidco/TCB, probably never found here

Trouble is most people will switch once but not keep an eye on it, Flipper checks every quarter I believe to make sure you are on the cheapest tariff, if you can be assed to go through the providers every 3 months to swap then good for you.

Original Poster

chocci

so how much is your kwh for electric?

airfix

with my provider, thats works out about £2300 pa

octopus energy - switched last month and only took 2 weeks from start to finish

Remember if you don't want the hassle of changing supplier (its usually pretty easy) make sure you check your current one doesn't have a better one on offer. The current cheapest with my supplier ends on 31 of the month so I expect a new one to be out on the 1st. If it's cheaper I'll change. It's only an email.

summerof76

It was and I sweet talked him into my refund

Heres that man
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Gf9Qe0X3HOxRC/giphy.gif

themachman

Heres that man

I'm never that lucky

airfix

£3250 down to £2243

That bill is massive! even for all electric..

Im in a 5 Bed Detached, my last electric bill for 10 March 2016 to 08 June 2016 was £270.00, with Gas a lot less than that, gas is purely for the boiler. honestly your bill seems very high. unless you have the heating on 24/7 on electric, but I work from home, so the house is powered up 24/7 here too.

Swalec. and my estimated annual is 8,194.00kWh

Original Poster

haritori

That bill is massive! even for all electric..Im in a 5 Bed Detached, my … That bill is massive! even for all electric..Im in a 5 Bed Detached, my last electric bill for 10 March 2016 to 08 June 2016 was £270.00, with Gas a lot less than that, gas is purely for the boiler. honestly your bill seems very high. unless you have the heating on 24/7 on electric, but I work from home, so the house is powered up 24/7 here too.Swalec. and my estimated annual is 8,194.00kWh

The system is on 24/7 365 days a year, you don't turn it on/off as it relies on thermostats inside and outside the house to work out what it should be doing. Obviously the heating isn't on this time of year, but the water storage tanks are topped up for showers etc so the ashp's are going every now and again.

Air source heat pumps should be 2.5 or 3 cop which means every kw of electric produces 3 times as much in heating power.

airfix

£3250 down to £2243

​wow mines 900 per year

chocci

with my provider, thats works out about £2300 paoctopus energy - switched … with my provider, thats works out about £2300 paoctopus energy - switched last month and only took 2 weeks from start to finish

Thanks for the suggestion, I am due to switch. Looks to be 2.5p a unit cheaper for me.

Original Poster

ashmac

​wow mines 900 per year

Yes wow, but we need more context, such as size of house, electric only ?, etc

Banned

Parfy

Quite surprised how much people spend, we're only around £80 a month for … Quite surprised how much people spend, we're only around £80 a month for gas and electric in a 4 bed detached and i'm not stingy with the electric - several TVs, amp, sub, games consoles etc..... I may be a little bit stingy with the gas mind

ours is £81 but got large ground floor extension. Everything is turned off at plug when not in use. Electric is like £60 per month rising slightly in winter.

Edited by: "howdiefellas" 25th Aug 2016

cool story op...but needs more dolphins...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767378
      2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1218
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2467
      4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow817

See more discussions