Flood light: How to extend wiring?

Posted 19th Oct
So I got a flood light and it came with 0.5 cable where one end is connected to the unit and the other end exposed.

If I get 2m cable and connect the colours together what do I need to ensure when the joint is connected is safe for outdoor use?
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Can't you replace cable so no join
External/outdoor junction box, couple of pounds from Screwfix or similar. Random £1.89 example should be big enough: screwfix.com/p/s…356
Buy one with a longer cable.
Use an outdoor junction box. Easy to change the light in the future if needed
@wayners is bang in, open the unit and you will see the ubiquitous brown (live), blue (neutral) and yellow/green (earth) going into a connection block, just replace with longer wire.
If you have to use a connector don't put any connection outside unless it’s a proper outside connector.

easiest option might be to get a Mr Beams battery one at least it will be safer than playing with electricity if you don’t know what you are going
esar19/10/2019 17:36

@wayners is bang in, open the unit and you will see the ubiquitous brown …@wayners is bang in, open the unit and you will see the ubiquitous brown (live), blue (neutral) and yellow/green (earth) going into a connection block, just replace with longer wire.

Most of the LED units these days aren't able to be opened due to waterproofing.
Outdoor junction box is the easiest method and then just buy some cable length and extend as much as you like. What I did with mine was ran the half meter cable in to the garage then stuck a plug on the end and then an extension from plug to socket in garage. Just because I couldn't be bothered buying some cable lol
Pay an electrician, you clearly have no idea what you are doing. Do not try to save £30 just pay a qualified person to do the job. If you do it good luck with you insurance claim if it goes wrong always been in the top ten for home fires, faulty electrical work or wiring.
AndyRoyd19/10/2019 15:07

External/outdoor junction box, couple of pounds from Screwfix or similar. …External/outdoor junction box, couple of pounds from Screwfix or similar. Random £1.89 example should be big enough: https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-7-entry-junction-box-with-knockouts-grey-88-x-88-x-53mm/30356

I would double up by wrapping the junction inside with self amalgamating tape and as the wire exits the box have it run down a few inches then back up in a U shape to stop any chance of "water creep"
MonkeyMan9019/10/2019 19:19

Most of the LED units these days aren't able to be opened due to …Most of the LED units these days aren't able to be opened due to waterproofing.

If it went together, it'll come apart
Can you give us the exact model and make, so that we can see if it can be opened to change wire?
thomasleep19/10/2019 20:31

Pay an electrician, you clearly have no idea what you are doing. Do not …Pay an electrician, you clearly have no idea what you are doing. Do not try to save £30 just pay a qualified person to do the job. If you do it good luck with you insurance claim if it goes wrong always been in the top ten for home fires, faulty electrical work or wiring.

I bet your fun! Changing an existing outside light is not difficult. My 65 year old mother did her own yesterday with no help or experience!
esar20/10/2019 02:17

If it went together, it'll come apart

Chances are you'll also jeopardise how good the waterproofing is.
tom2kadd120/10/2019 09:50

I bet your fun! Changing an existing outside light is not difficult. My 65 …I bet your fun! Changing an existing outside light is not difficult. My 65 year old mother did her own yesterday with no help or experience!

Age or gender has nothing to do with how safe it is, their are plenty of 65 year old sparks still working. But if the person doing it has no clue about ip resistance or even the most basic grasp of how electricity works then that is just stupid, they are going to end up causing damage to themselves their property or others. If that is your idea of fun, then I will pass thanks.
Edited by: "thomasleep" 20th Oct
MonkeyMan9020/10/2019 09:59

Chances are you'll also jeopardise how good the waterproofing is.

We'll just have to wait and see which one they've bought
I've got three Led ones are different makes/styles, we just opened them all and fitted longer cables.
esar20/10/2019 02:20

Can you give us the exact model and make, so that we can see if it can be …Can you give us the exact model and make, so that we can see if it can be opened to change wire?

This one:

Ustellar 30W Motion Sensor Light, PIR Floodlight (150W Equivalent), Outdoor Security Lights, 2400lm IP66 Waterproof LED Flood Light for Garage Basemen amazon.co.uk/dp/…Jyi
rimalpatel00721/10/2019 07:32

This one:Ustellar 30W Motion Sensor Light, PIR Floodlight (150W …This one:Ustellar 30W Motion Sensor Light, PIR Floodlight (150W Equivalent), Outdoor Security Lights, 2400lm IP66 Waterproof LED Flood Light for Garage Basemen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S1YG8KB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_NuqIrylACWJyi

Yes, looking at the picture that says "advanced heatsink", I can see it's screwed together, if your really stuck, open the back and post a picture and we'll point you in the right direction
esar21/10/2019 07:49

Yes, looking at the picture that says "advanced heatsink", I can see it's …Yes, looking at the picture that says "advanced heatsink", I can see it's screwed together, if your really stuck, open the back and post a picture and we'll point you in the right direction

I will give it a go and see how i get on. Fingers crossed is simple swap.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants