Floodlights and CCTV

Found 24th Jan
Hi all,

Been a spate of burglaries in the West Midlands recently. All over the news.

I was wondering if someone could help me choose three flood lights and CCTV? I'm looking to get two for the front and back garden, and a lamp of some sort of the jitty/alleway.

And CCTV that is very good quality, be able to read vehicle registration and good night vision. I'm looking for 4 cameras in total

Will spend where required

Thanks all
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments
You're better off getting land mines you can switch on when you got to bed.
Have you spoken to your local crime prevention officers? You could end up spending a lot of money on stuff that will not reduce your risk of being burgled at all. If you put floodlights up it may only make it easier for the crooks to see what they are doing. As for cctv, you'll get a picture of a guy in a hoodie. That won't narrow it down much. Regarding reading number plates, do you think thieves will be using legitimate vehicles registered to their home address to go out robbing? I'd look at upgrading your locks firstly. That and anything that will make your house just a little less attractive as a crime target than next door. I live in a new build. I changed my locks to snap proof. It isn't expensive but any would be robber is more likely to break in next door where they can snap the lock in seconds.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 3 m ago

Have you spoken to your local crime prevention officers? You could end up …Have you spoken to your local crime prevention officers? You could end up spending a lot of money on stuff that will not reduce your risk of being burgled at all. If you put floodlights up it may only make it easier for the crooks to see what they are doing. As for cctv, you'll get a picture of a guy in a hoodie. That won't narrow it down much. Regarding reading number plates, do you think thieves will be using legitimate vehicles registered to their home address to go out robbing? I'd look at upgrading your locks firstly. That and anything that will make your house just a little less attractive as a crime target than next door. I live in a new build. I changed my locks to snap proof. It isn't expensive but any would be robber is more likely to break in next door where they can snap the lock in seconds.

Take your point about cctv, I have 3 cameras though, one at eye level, which will get a nice photo of their face
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 4 m ago

Have you spoken to your local crime prevention officers? You could end up …Have you spoken to your local crime prevention officers? You could end up spending a lot of money on stuff that will not reduce your risk of being burgled at all. If you put floodlights up it may only make it easier for the crooks to see what they are doing. As for cctv, you'll get a picture of a guy in a hoodie. That won't narrow it down much. Regarding reading number plates, do you think thieves will be using legitimate vehicles registered to their home address to go out robbing? I'd look at upgrading your locks firstly. That and anything that will make your house just a little less attractive as a crime target than next door. I live in a new build. I changed my locks to snap proof. It isn't expensive but any would be robber is more likely to break in next door where they can snap the lock in seconds.

I would also add that a good alarm system is a great deterrent, more of a deterrent than cctv. It makes noise when they break in which draws attention to criminals (that’s something they don’t like), it may not stop them but they will come in grab and run. Sadly if you want to make your house burglar proof (although it won’t be fully proof) your going to have to put bars on all doors and windows and have some good locks. Other ways in to property, driving a car through the walls or smashing through a roof with a sledgehammer so again not impossible. As you’ll see nothing will stop anyone who is really determined but it’s more about making your property look like it’s not worth the risk. Keeping curtains drawn so people can’t see inside, locking side gates and sheds can also help too. I’d also recommend a small safe for valuables which is screwed to the floor somewhere hidden (don’t keep cash in it, put cash in the bank, just put your most sentimental items in it) again if an alarm is whirring they are not going to have time to mess with a safe.
The advice given is good advice. Think of it like this... 'You don't have to be able to outrun the crocodile - you just have to be faster than the bloke next to you'. I know it's not ideal but make your neighbors houses the more attractive option to burglars. The only thing I do disagree with is the lighting. If the access to the house is lit, would be burglars feel exposed and rushed. If they can get to a house in the dark, without being seen, they have time to look around.
No building is completely secure - even the Queen (God bless you M'am -I'm still waiting for my gong) has woken up with a guy sat on her bed. It's not about spending a fortune, it's common sense.
Edited by: "mrty" 24th Jan
I have this type of floodlight ...... screwfix.com/p/l…14v

I have several all triggered by a couple of PIR sensors. 10W gives a good bright coverage.

I also have a Swann CCTV system - maplin.co.uk/p/s…7tu with 4 cameras. Works with POE - so just need to run a network cable to each camera from the ventral NVR. Live images can be viewed on a PC, phone or tablet and motion triggered emails can be sent.
cmdr_elito2 h, 53 m ago

I would also add that a good alarm system is a great deterrent, more of a …I would also add that a good alarm system is a great deterrent, more of a deterrent than cctv. It makes noise when they break in which draws attention to criminals (that’s something they don’t like), it may not stop them but they will come in grab and run. Sadly if you want to make your house burglar proof (although it won’t be fully proof) your going to have to put bars on all doors and windows and have some good locks. Other ways in to property, driving a car through the walls or smashing through a roof with a sledgehammer so again not impossible. As you’ll see nothing will stop anyone who is really determined but it’s more about making your property look like it’s not worth the risk. Keeping curtains drawn so people can’t see inside, locking side gates and sheds can also help too. I’d also recommend a small safe for valuables which is screwed to the floor somewhere hidden (don’t keep cash in it, put cash in the bank, just put your most sentimental items in it) again if an alarm is whirring they are not going to have time to mess with a safe.

All good tips, but ultimately if someone wants to get into your house they will and the best you can do is either slow them down or make next door look like a easier option.

When I was burgled he wasn't deterred by my Alarm, and managed to over come it by drilling the bell box and filling it with expanding foam, after that he only got as far as the kitchen, before he met my dog (who had shown zero guarding instincts before, and used to hide behind me when someone knocked on the door!) this time he didn't.
cmdr_elito4 h, 50 m ago

I would also add that a good alarm system is a great deterrent,

Is it heck, I was laid in bed last night for over an hour listening to an alarm going off somewhere local just thinking I wish they would turn that off, as no doubt everyone else who heard it did too.

Have you ever investigated or done anything about an alarm going off or know anyone else who has? If somewhere is deemed a good enough target to break into then an alarm will make no difference.
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell8 h, 19 m ago

Will upgrade locks first thing. Floodlight just as a deterrence when someone’s approaches the house it comes on?
The cameras I would focus on buying discreet cameras that they don’t know about. If they see cameras they will just put a balaclava on or hood up. You’d rather get some pics of their faces uncovered, that’s what I found when we installed cameras, they were looking up at the cameras then thinking “oh ” then covering their faces up. Get nice eye level cameras and try and make them discreet so you can catch their faces. Little rats
Original Poster
jayonline853 h, 2 m ago

The cameras I would focus on buying discreet cameras that they don’t know a …The cameras I would focus on buying discreet cameras that they don’t know about. If they see cameras they will just put a balaclava on or hood up. You’d rather get some pics of their faces uncovered, that’s what I found when we installed cameras, they were looking up at the cameras then thinking “oh ” then covering their faces up. Get nice eye level cameras and try and make them discreet so you can catch their faces. Little rats

What eye level cameras you racommend mate
If u want a good alarm system with cameras I would recommend Verisure, I have them myself and although u have to pay a monthly fee, it's well worth it for peace of mind. It comes with active monitoring
harlzter11 h, 7 m ago

Is it heck, I was laid in bed last night for over an hour listening to an …Is it heck, I was laid in bed last night for over an hour listening to an alarm going off somewhere local just thinking I wish they would turn that off, as no doubt everyone else who heard it did too. Have you ever investigated or done anything about an alarm going off or know anyone else who has? If somewhere is deemed a good enough target to break into then an alarm will make no difference.

Yes when alarms go off in our street we and the neighbours do check, particularly if they are going off for longer than a few minutes. Then again we live in a nice area in Devon.
DKLS13 h, 8 m ago

All good tips, but ultimately if someone wants to get into your house they …All good tips, but ultimately if someone wants to get into your house they will and the best you can do is either slow them down or make next door look like a easier option.When I was burgled he wasn't deterred by my Alarm, and managed to over come it by drilling the bell box and filling it with expanding foam, after that he only got as far as the kitchen, before he met my dog (who had shown zero guarding instincts before, and used to hide behind me when someone knocked on the door!) this time he didn't.

I have multiple bell boxes and text message alerts on mine if the alarm is set off. I also live on the corner of a road so a fair bit of through traffic too so would draw attention if they were drilling all the bell boxes.

And yes as I said you can’t stop it, it’s about making somewhere else look an easier target, also not far from a police station too would take them only a few mins to get here and it’s a main one.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 24th Jan
WestMidlands18 h, 43 m ago

What eye level cameras you racommend mate

Could get some kind of nest cam that sits inside the window on the sill.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants