Floor standing speakers upstairs

Found 15th Apr 2009
I live at home with my parents and have a pair of floorstandung speakers in my room but there is too much base downstairs can anyone suggest anything to reduce this

1. Misc
  2. Speakers
25 Comments

so you have to much drugs in your speakers, or the bass is too deep, tell your parents to shut up and put up, they used to like loud music when they were young. lol

see what they say

tray and lay some sponge or pillows to act as a barrier between the speaker and the downstairs, this should help a little bit

You can get "spikes" for the four corners of the speakers, reduces the contact area between speakers and the floor - reducing the vibration.

Original Poster

mbgringo;4933236

You can get "spikes" for the four corners of the speakers, reduces the … You can get "spikes" for the four corners of the speakers, reduces the contact area between speakers and the floor - reducing the vibration.

they allready have spikes on them

scott160592;4933637

they allready have spikes on them

Turn it down then . . . . :lol:

Banned

move out and get your own place

put a concrete paving slab under each speaker so the spikes have no contact with the floor and a very small contact point on the slab and turn the bass down a touch

i think, even if you could levitate the speakers, you couldnt stop them for being heard downstairs.

Original Poster

dog_cop;4933683

hard when ur 16 and on minimum wage

Two pairs of these should solve the problem downstairs

]http//ww…ED/

You'll probably find that after such a long marriage your parents dont speak or listen to each other so these wont interfere with normal life

Original Poster

Wenchybev;4934534

Two pairs of these should solve the problem downstairs … Two pairs of these should solve the problem downstairs ]http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/g/GARED/You'll probably find that after such a long marriage your parents dont speak or listen to each other so these wont interfere with normal life

lol i will suggest a pair of these to them

Jumpingphil;4936699

You could try having some respect for your parents.

Funny, I didn't see him say anything that was disrespectful to his parents, all he asked was a simple question and instead he gets a bunch of sub moronic twaddle from people he has never met, who have no interest in answering his question and instead want to just throw their ill-informed opinion into the mix.

so without knowing:

A) the gentleman in question
B) his parents
C) the size and layout of the house in question
D) the size and output of the floorstanding speakers
E) how much bass is generated by said speakers

you choose to instead question the character of the OP instead, very classy. Like I was always told "If you haven't got anything worthwhile to say, then don't say anything at all".

aren't forum boards ace.

dog_cop;4933683

god, I actually agree with this.

Speaking as Mum to a soon-to-be 21 year old.... when are kids today ever gonna movvvvvvvve out?? My husband reckons our son will be 54 first.... I'm so not gonna make it.

scott160592;4934302

hard when ur 16 and on minimum wage

You are 16 and already working , good for you!

Dont forget to fit studying in there somewhere. Prolly best to get rid of the speakers!

beefy headphones

Original Poster

I got some concrete slabs and that seems to have made a big difference downstairs so there ok now

Original Poster

keeyop;4937434

Funny, I didn't see him say anything that was disrespectful to his … Funny, I didn't see him say anything that was disrespectful to his parents, all he asked was a simple question and instead he gets a bunch of sub moronic twaddle from people he has never met, who have no interest in answering his question and instead want to just throw their ill-informed opinion into the mix.so without knowing:A) the gentleman in questionB) his parentsC) the size and layout of the house in questionD) the size and output of the floorstanding speakersE) how much bass is generated by said speakersyou choose to instead question the character of the OP instead, very classy. Like I was always told "If you haven't got anything worthwhile to say, then don't say anything at all".Thanks for that rep left and the paving slabs workedaren't forum boards ace.

this is the internet, and people take no greater joy than to shoot down strangers when ever they can to impose their morals and ideals on anyone who does and doesnt ask.
A simple question on how to reduce to annoyance of his speakers to his parents will obviously bring down on him on how awful a youth he is. its to be expected. Ignore the fact his parents may own a fully detached house half a mile from the nearest neighbour...he obviously must be in need of an asbo or something.

like i said..this is the internet.....welcome :thumbsup:

oh, and this post is generalised to how it is on this forum, not particuarly directed to this thread or to those who posted in it.

scott160592;4944181

I got some concrete slabs and that seems to have made a big difference … I got some concrete slabs and that seems to have made a big difference downstairs so there ok now

Missed this thread, so I'm a bit late, but carpet squares - offcuts - are pretty effective.
Concrete slabs might just transmit only the really deep bass and that's the worst of all.

Well done Scott for trying to find a solution.

Jumpingphil;4947200

Do you really need an answer?

I do but only because I'm feeling bored and pedantic (the other problem with forum boards)

Jumpingphil;4947200

We have a 16 year old living with his parents and he has floor standing … We have a 16 year old living with his parents and he has floor standing speakers upstairs?

So these are the only two facts you know and from this you jump to two wildly circumspect conclusions.

1. the OP is 16 and must therefore be disrespectful to his parents.

Now lets look at the facts, the OP has a problem that he is affecting his parents in a negative way through his actions, instead of telling them where to go, threatening to move out, or sulking in the corner he instead goes online and tries to find a practical solution.

I tell you, kids these days, they don't even know they're born.

2. he has floor standing speakers upstairs, so they must be unusually loud.

floorstanding, it has nothing to do with the output level of the speakers.

Jumpingphil;4947200

Geeze, I bet the neighbours love these, probably more so than his parents.

You've gone off on a tangent here as nobody has previously mentioned neighbours, but just for reference, I live in a two bedroom terrace house, in the living room I have a set of Dyne-Audio in the bedroom I have a set of B&W both are floorstanding both have no effect on the neighbours.

Jumpingphil;4947200

Of course, he could live in acres and acres of land and doesn't have any … Of course, he could live in acres and acres of land and doesn't have any neighbours within earshot. If I have got that wrong, then I'm very sorry.

See above it really doesn't make any difference where you live, the only reason I mentioned the layout of the house is that when I was younger (cue music and wavy wobbly transition effect) I lived in a very old house with creaky floorboards and had a set of mission floorstanders (notoriously heavy on the bass), Hip-Hop was just breaking through into popular culture and if you played anything (Public Enemy, Run DMC, etc) over talking volume then the bass was louder downstairs than it was in my own room (come to think of it, it was the same with Husker-Du and Black Flag and their not heavy on the bass at all. So I needed a cheap practical solution (can anybody guess what I did?) as I didn't want to annoy my folks whenver I listened to music.

Jumpingphil;4947200

But I suspect that this is the type of behaviour that people hate in … But I suspect that this is the type of behaviour that people hate in youngsters of today.

Just a quick question: do you now or have you ever read the Daily Mail on a regular basis?

Jumpingphil;4947200

As I type, I have some neighbours that are young and having their third … As I type, I have some neighbours that are young and having their third party in a row. They clearly don't care about all the neighbours around them. I would be deeply embarrassed if my children behaved like this.

Well why didn't you say, your speaking from personal prejudice, transferring your own hatred of your neighbours to somebody who is instead trying to remedy a similar situation.

Jumpingphil;4947200

So, have I got my opinion wrong? Possibly

Yay, humility

Jumpingphil;4947200

but I very much doubt it

Damn, arrogance

Jumpingphil;4947200

As I said earlier, if I am wrong, then I'm very sorry.

Yay, humility again (or schizophrenia)

Original Poster

I do live in a detached house so next door will not hear these also iv tryed concrete slabs and layers of carpit and they have made a difference just not enough for my dad so if anypne has any proffesional solusions please let me know

scott160592;4963951

I do live in a detached house so next door will not hear these also iv … I do live in a detached house so next door will not hear these also iv tryed concrete slabs and layers of carpit and they have made a difference just not enough for my dad so if anypne has any proffesional solusions please let me know

for a pro solution you'd need to kit out your room with studio-foam, some decent underfloor sound padding and a couple of isolation risers for the speakers but this is expensive.

slightly cheaper would be to rip up the floor boards and lay some heavy duty insulation foam down.

Original Poster

keeyop;4968492

for a pro solution you'd need to kit out your room with studio-foam, some … for a pro solution you'd need to kit out your room with studio-foam, some decent underfloor sound padding and a couple of isolation risers for the speakers but this is expensive.slightly cheaper would be to rip up the floor boards and lay some heavy duty insulation foam down.

Thanks for that might have to look into the foam

octobergirl;4933138

tray and lay some sponge or pillows to act as a barrier between the … tray and lay some sponge or pillows to act as a barrier between the speaker and the downstairs, this should help a little bit

thats what i do.. but i only have small speakers.
Post a comment
@
    Text