Flour shortage

Posted 14th Apr
Hi,

I live near Sutton area and have not been able to source any plain flour in a 3 mile radius at Sainsbury and Morrisons.

Wonder if it’s more available in ethnic shops?

Any other places facing same shortage,
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Hi. Same problem where I am in Lancashire. Tried 2 Asian Cash & Carrys. No joy.
All across the country am afraid, its a product no one buys, so need to stock pile.
Yep, it’s the same everywhere bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52212760 I managed to get some at a local corner shop but they said they had not long had it delivered after having none for weeks.
Edited by: "MiniMissyMoo" 14th Apr
I saw some in asda yesterday, the first time I've seen any in about three weeks.
Tons available in out Lidl
It's luck really, supermarkets get stock and they get ransacked again. Based on all the photos I've seen on Facebook, pretty much the entire country is making cakes and bread to keep themselves busy, especially those with kids.

Give it a few weeks and people will be sick of bread and cakes and normal service will resume again.
Flour is the new toilet paper unfortunately.
Arse holes buying up more items they'll never use
None round here at the major supermarkets either. I popped into my local shop, asked the bloke if he had any, he gave me a bag of what he claimed was flour. I was a bit skeptical as it was all in foreign, think the writing on it was Ukrainian. It was only 99p so went for it.

Ended up making pancakes from it, job was a gooden.
None in Sheffield, saw 4 packs of self raising on saturday but no.plain in 5 shops large and small
The country has turned into professional bakers since the pandemic happened.
If you are in Motspur Pakr found loads of flour in the ethnic shop near to the station. Limit of one bag per customer
darlodge14/04/2020 09:10

It's luck really, supermarkets get stock and they get ransacked again. …It's luck really, supermarkets get stock and they get ransacked again. Based on all the photos I've seen on Facebook, pretty much the entire country is making cakes and bread to keep themselves busy, especially those with kids.Give it a few weeks and people will be sick of bread and cakes and normal service will resume again.

Naa it's the business making goods needing more as supermarkets has seen 30% rise in sales, that 30% is going to need 30% more flour, with some shutdown they will be ransacking bagged flour destined sold in packets
Local big Tesco told me they were having some in last Wends, went down there and couldn't see any. Asked if they put them out yet and was told (with a straight face) 'We had 12 bags, they've all gone'....
Vencurse14/04/2020 11:11

The country has turned into professional bakers since the pandemic …The country has turned into professional bakers since the pandemic happened.

Professional hoarders of flour that they won't use cos they can't bake a thing and will never attempt to
I got self raising in Lidl, Ardler, Dundee yesterday.

At least 3/4 a pallet there. Not sure about plain flour as I wanted self raising
Aldi have it daily but you need to get there at 8am.
Ebay has some
I read somewhere that there is no shortage of flour. The shortage lies with the bagging capacity.

The majority of flour used to go to professional bakers in bulk (hundredweight sacks, 112lbs/50.8kg). With the CV outbreak and the increase in home baking due to boredom or need, the need for consumer bagged flour has increased but the number of 1.5kg portion flour bagging machines remains, basically, the same.
Try aldi They had a fair bit when I went today. Disclaimer.... Not all aldi will have stock.
Where to get yeast? Had no luck tracking that down..
We have been buying bread flour every week for years and thought I was the only one. Never saw anyone else getting it.
I haven't been able to get it for weeks now. There is loads of bread in the shops so it would be nice if people would stop buying it for their lockdown baking projects and leave it for shoppers who actually need it !
mekon22/04/2020 12:47

We have been buying bread flour every week for years and thought I was the …We have been buying bread flour every week for years and thought I was the only one. Never saw anyone else getting it.I haven't been able to get it for weeks now. There is loads of bread in the shops so it would be nice if people would stop buying it for their lockdown baking projects and leave it for shoppers who actually need it !

I agree but everyone is panicked and don’t want to go out. In an ideal world people would be civil but alas nothing much can be done.

No eggs are also on shortage too.
Maybe buy 16kg from here delivered. Mine has just arrived via dpd

squires-shop.com/pro…6kg
Ethan_HuntszE22/04/2020 16:07

Maybe buy 16kg from here delivered. Mine has just arrived via …Maybe buy 16kg from here delivered. Mine has just arrived via dpdhttps://www.squires-shop.com/product/bread-flour-16kg

Nice one! They had bread flour in Sainsbury Kiln Lane 2 days ago
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions