Flubit has relaunched as a marketplace

Found 5th Apr 2017
tamebay.com/201…tml

First impressions are not great at all. Poor search, no idea which merchant you're dealing with, no indication of savings over elsewhere. Just feels a bit like Play/Rakuten used to be only not so good.

Clearly they have much to add in terms of products and tech things to iron out but it does look disappointing. I've used Flubit pretty regularly for over four years and although there's been the odd issue it's by and large been a great service and I've made excellent savings. Hopefully this change doesn't signal the end of that.

What do you guys think?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
So you can no longer submit a url via the bookmarklet or Chrome add-ons - now got to search through their engine?

Good grief, what a disaster. Just tried searching for one specific item and got what looked like the whole manufacturer's catalogue in no particular order. If you copy and past the url from Amazon manually you get no results.

"You have asked and we have listened" - who the hell were you listening to?
rip flubit
They have failed to understand the value their users perceive in getting a better price than everyone else. Even if they manage to keep their pricing the same, it was the dopamine hit of getting that special discount that pushed so many of us over the line to make the buying decision. Lose that and you lose the compelling reason to use the site and become just another market place.

Bye bye flubit.

Let's hope someone else picks up where they left off!
38 Comments
2 of the 3 things i've just tried using amazon urls haven't found anything.. The 1 it did find was about £11 cheaper than the £24 amazon wanted for it though
i agree, i always found flubit to be very handy when buying an expensive component etc. Now tho it seems that everything is being made ripe for scammers now. such a shame. between hacked accounts and chargebacks on ebay to hukd selling out to lokal its becoming very hard to find a buying and selling site that merits any use now. sad times.
So you can no longer submit a url via the bookmarklet or Chrome add-ons - now got to search through their engine?

Good grief, what a disaster. Just tried searching for one specific item and got what looked like the whole manufacturer's catalogue in no particular order. If you copy and past the url from Amazon manually you get no results.

"You have asked and we have listened" - who the hell were you listening to?
rip flubit
^ Cosign ⚰️
I had a quick look. Ordered some headphones 2 mins later. Can't hurt to have another place to shop for bargains...
Was looking to get a portable hard drive so put in amazon URL and it offered one that was dearer than amazon but no details of who it was from. End of the discounts?
They have failed to understand the value their users perceive in getting a better price than everyone else. Even if they manage to keep their pricing the same, it was the dopamine hit of getting that special discount that pushed so many of us over the line to make the buying decision. Lose that and you lose the compelling reason to use the site and become just another market place.

Bye bye flubit.

Let's hope someone else picks up where they left off!
'You asked, we listened....'

Nobody asked for this. Flubit pulled exactly the same stunt when they struggled to accept price beat requests from all retailers. They claimed everybody thought it would be better if they restricted it to Amazon. Complete bs.
I just searched for a set of high quality drills.. the best price offered by flubit was around 30% more expensive than amazon and 48% more expensive than an obviously available price via google shopping...

Not sure how that represents listening to what customers are asking for from a discount site...
bengibbo123

I just searched for a set of high quality drills.. the best price offered … I just searched for a set of high quality drills.. the best price offered by flubit was around 30% more expensive than amazon and 48% more expensive than an obviously available price via google shopping...Not sure how that represents listening to what customers are asking for from a discount site...

And yet my item was 25% cheaper, a work in progress but if they can find a way to promote the deals that actually are the best price available then I don't see how it will be a bad thing to have that option.
Because previously you could use it to practically guarantee the best available price on any amazon product. Was especially powerful with CamelCamelCamel to work out when the amazon price for something you wanted had dropped below the usual level.
trickyrick

Because previously you could use it to practically guarantee the best … Because previously you could use it to practically guarantee the best available price on any amazon product. Was especially powerful with CamelCamelCamel to work out when the amazon price for something you wanted had dropped below the usual level.

Perhaps they should have tried keeping the old functionality too, but if it wasn't sustainable then they had to change (I used to use it a lot but barely at all in the last year)...

Trying to offer value in another way is preferable to vanishing completely.
Original Poster
Due to the previous good service and reputation I'm going to give them a grace period of a couple of weeks to sort the site out. If after that things are still pretty much the same then I'm afraid they are basically worm food.

The 'You asked, we listened....' phrase is particularly irksome, it's PR puff that might fool the casual user but not their core customers.

Does make you wonder whether a requirement of the cash injection was a fundamental change in their operation.
I've used them in the past. Been generally happy.

I just did a test search of five random items I would possibly buy, three were not found, and two more expensive.

**hands Flubit the final nail and the hammer**

RIP. Zero point wasting time with this site now.

Regards
Flea
It is funny seeing positive comments from merchants in the comment section of the article.

They won't be so happy when us buyers leave. Tested a few common products from Amazon and all more expensive than Amazon and some items it didn't find.

Goodbye Flubit.
Visited today to demand a deal vs Amazon and found no such option. Their new search engine couldn't even find that item, or two other items I tried.

If they're no longer Flubing, then it's no longer Flubit. I don't really understand how their brand has value in any other context. But it looks like some sucker bought in to maintain it in the form of a completely different service.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
I stopped using them years ago, way too unreliable. I think I only got one item out of my last 6 orders, the rest were cancelled, some even after been marked as dispatch (I don't believe they were) and left me waiting for a week or two.

Also everything I just checked was more expensive than other places.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 7th Apr 2017
Very disappointed with the new Flubit. Why change something which was working well for many people? I've just searched for 4 different products and all of them are dearer than Amazon. Bye bye flubit, you've lost a loyal customer.
Does seem a backwards step. I received an email from them yesterday about Elite, text below
They haven't updated the FAQ as yet

Dear Elite User,

As you’ll be aware on Wednesday 5th April Flubit changed its core service to become the largest UK owned marketplace. We’re excited about what this will mean for both our customers and our retailers over the coming months and years.
We understand you signed up to Elite for multiple advantages regarding our previous demand proposition, which is no longer available.
We are excited to be launching our new Elite service in around a month’s time.
Until that date we will be doing the following for you:
As you are an Annual Elite user:
• We will be refunding you the pro-rata amount for the time the Flubit Elite service is down.
• When Elite re-launches, we will be giving you an additional month free to try the new service (at no cost).
• If you subsequently cancel your Elite membership within the first 30-day period, and you didn’t save £12.50 whilst being an Annual Elite user (prior to April 5th), we will refund you the difference.
• You may of course cancel your membership at any time by emailing customer support.

We are sure you will enjoy the new Elite service, we apologise for the down-time, but are looking forward to you trying the new Flubit Elite at no cost or risk.

Many thanks
Flubit Elite Team
Original Poster
Steve353

Does seem a backwards step. I received an email from them yesterday about … Does seem a backwards step. I received an email from them yesterday about Elite, text below They haven't updated the FAQ as yetDear Elite User,As you’ll be aware on Wednesday 5th April Flubit changed its core service to become the largest UK owned marketplace. We’re excited about what this will mean for both our customers and our retailers over the coming months and years. We understand you signed up to Elite for multiple advantages regarding our previous demand proposition, which is no longer available. We are excited to be launching our new Elite service in around a month’s time.Until that date we will be doing the following for you:As you are an Annual Elite user: • We will be refunding you the pro-rata amount for the time the Flubit Elite service is down.• When Elite re-launches, we will be giving you an additional month free to try the new service (at no cost).• If you subsequently cancel your Elite membership within the first 30-day period, and you didn’t save £12.50 whilst being an Annual Elite user (prior to April 5th), we will refund you the difference.• You may of course cancel your membership at any time by emailing customer support.We are sure you will enjoy the new Elite service, we apologise for the down-time, but are looking forward to you trying the new Flubit Elite at no cost or risk.Many thanksFlubit Elite Team

I take it they haven't given any indication of the 'benefits' for elite once it relaunches?

IMO the whole thing appears a bit half-arsed. Why relaunch when you've only got a small proportion of the SKUs in the system? And then effectively state it will take weeks to build up the product catalogue. Odd.

Had a look at their financials on the Companies House site, well as much as you can see for a small company, and it seemed at the end of 2015 they were in reasonable health. However, their net worth was half that of the end 2014 and we obviously don't know what happened in 2016. Perhaps I'm putting too much on this but you have to really wonder what forced the dramatic alteration in business model, at least from the buyer's perspective.

Edited by: "JustLikeArkwright" 8th Apr 2017
JustLikeArkwright

I take it they haven't given any indication of the 'benefits' for elite … I take it they haven't given any indication of the 'benefits' for elite once it relaunches

No. When (if) they do I'll share it here
bengibbo123

I just searched for a set of high quality drills.. the best price offered … I just searched for a set of high quality drills.. the best price offered by flubit was around 30% more expensive than amazon and 48% more expensive than an obviously available price via google shopping...Not sure how that represents listening to what customers are asking for from a discount site...

I blame Brexit.
Paid the 15 notes back in September, had a few reasonable deals and then nothing.

Except the "you're a savvy saver" or them not pricing a router because it fell foul of their selling regulations. How, I don't know, but it did.
just removed my payment details.. I was a elite member too!

shame end of an era.
https://flubit.com/shop/p/world-of-warcraft-legion-pc-dvdmac/FL6Q50YQ7

For the bargain hunters....
Price: £349.95 (inc. P&P & VAT) Royal Mail

might be the Royal Mail who is charging the fees mostly
Edited by: "jackyrwang" 9th Apr 2017
Original Poster
jackyrwang

https://flubit.com/shop/p/world-of-warcraft-legion-pc-dvdmac/FL6Q50YQ7For … https://flubit.com/shop/p/world-of-warcraft-legion-pc-dvdmac/FL6Q50YQ7For the bargain hunters....Price: £349.95 (inc. P&P & VAT) Royal Mailmight be the Royal Mail who is charging the fees mostly

I'd want it delivered on a silver salver by my own personal butler for that price.
For me, even if they start matching or slightly undercutting the best prices there is still the support factor - unless, as a bottom line, they can provide a comprehensive and efficient money back guarantee as Amazon do with all their market place sellers, it simply isn't worth the risk. I've just spent the best part of 2 months trying to negotiate a return with a completely indifferent merchant through Flubit for a product that didn't work, an experience that has really put me off going through the same thing again to save a couple of quid, let alone the pennies I would likely now save through this new setup.
still waiting for an order i placed with them on 1st april has anyone else had to wait this long for the items they buy to delivered as order still says processing not dispatched?
This new version of the site sucks, I much preferred the personal nature of demands since an actual human (I assume) is checking the Amazon price and then giving us a better deal. But with this new site they seem to be generating the prices through some other method which is causing the 'deals' to be WORSE than what is shown on Amazon.

Here is a prime example, I wanted to buy a replacement toner for my printer so checked on Amazon and saw 5 merchants with a sub £45 price (including shipping!) but on Flubit the CHEAPEST available option is £47.01, well above Amazon.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
https://flubit.com/shop/p/samsung-mlt-d111s-toner-cartridges---black/FLWRWEEX

What the hell happened!
oh man that sucks. used to be an easy 10% off anything off amazon. now back to paying full price.

new flubit is pointless. back in the day when there was bespokeoffers i was getting 20% off every amazon product as there was cashback from bespokeoffers. back to square one.
If it ain't broke...
Killed it for me

Can't seem super wise from a buisness sense ? Even my own use would fire them URLs every day or so and buy them if still wanting the item... ( now presented with a giant list of items that are more expensive than amazon )
Had several good purchases from them the last few years.
Tried it today and it is a joke. All 5 items at least £5-10 more expensive than Amazon.
Removing my details from them now as they won't last long at this rate.
Shame as it was good up till the changes.
Original Poster
In a frankly surprising turn of events they had a book I wanted at a cheaper price. Tucked away at the bottom of the page tells me it's via Wordery, no probs with that, so ordered.

I never got round to deleting my details and found yesterday some cooking ingredients cheaper on Flubit than anywhere else so ordered them. They weren't showing in the search 3 weeks ago.
Wanted a wacom tablet £56.31 on amazon. £60 on flubit.

No way of submitting an request. bye bye flubit.
I've not used them in a while but thought id have a look. Awful relaunched.

In 2016 - I bought a Bestway Monaco 8 Person Lay-Z Spa through Flubit.

It was £420 from Amazon - Flubit offered me it for £400.

I then realised that Argos were offering it for £400 plus delivery.

Flubit then re-offered the same item for £388 with no delivery cost!!!

In 2018 - that item has gone back up massively - at Amazon it is £567.

Flubit are selling it for £767?????

I asked about the new changes and they just ignored me.

I won't be using them again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants