Flubit just got considerably less competitive (will only accept Amazon URL's from 07/08/2013)

Found 6th Aug 2013
blog.flubit.com/dem…504

"So a big thank you to all our wonderful users for making that possible!

We like to get feedback, and one of the things you keep telling us is that we need to speed up and get offers out to you quicker.

We've listened and made some changes to make that happen.

Demanding from Amazon

From tomorrow, Wednesday 7th August, instead of being able to demand using any UK website, we're going to be asking you to do so only using products listed on Amazon.co.uk.

As it happens, the majority of our users already use Amazon for their Demands, so for most this will mean no change. By concentrating our efforts on beating the market leader, we'll be able to respond to most demands in just a few hours, much better right?

You can find out more here and if you have any questions please do get in touch via talktous@flubit.com.
Thanks for your continued support and we look forward to helping you save some more money soon!

Best wishes,

Bertie Stephens
Founder & CEO"

It's not going to be that difficult for them to compete with the so-called "market leader" when that market leader's prices aren't usually all that great anyway.

Another one bites the dust I suppose. Shame really, Flubit was a pretty good service.
Community Updates
56 Comments
hmm, kinda bad move IMO,
amazons prices are not the best,
thats a pity..

but they have been struggling to keep up with demands recently anyways, shame..

mind you maybe if there is a big change in their sales they may reverse that decision
Agreed...and considering you often get the item you demand from the original comparison anyway, anyone suspect Amazon are in league with Flubit to increase revenue?
Biga mistaka to maka
Completely agree with Splinters. If Flubit aren't in some deal with Amazon, they should be. Giving exclusivity of this service to Amazon is worth a huge amount. In short you find your product on Amazon, you like it but find it cheaper elsewhere. You go to flubit and Amazon then beat the cheapest price they can find by a small margin. It all but guarantees Amazon the business and with Flubit not beating prices on other sites, Amazon has no competition.

On the up side, there is an opening for us to setup a flubit type enterprise now.
Ohwell, that's a shame.
It depends how they go about creating their offers. I would have thought they're just using Amazon as a catalogue and the offers prices shouldn't be affected; it's blatantly obvious that only making offers based on Amazon prices would lose them a lot of business. This change to policy would then be about streamlining their offers system rather than creating a monopoly for Amazon at the expense of the consumer.

I might be wrong though.
time to go and look somewhere else for deals one thinks . I used it a lot ,
have i missed something , or is flubit just found it wasting time to talk to so many different companies and this just make life easier for them .but doesn't this
dissolve and dilute the point of flubit.
I just read that in my email to they say most people use amazon anyway but iv used other sites namely play.com daily deal with is always cheaper then anywhere else and they always beat that daily deal once by 18% then item was shipped to me via play. I think just using one site will just give one company more revenue so defo a plus for amazon
Yep, it completely dissolves the point of Flubit. It now just becomes your place to go and ask Amazon for a cheaper price. And seeing as Amazon now charge delivery, they'll just give you free delivery on occasion and Flubit will say YAY we saved you 10%.
got some great bargains through Flubit from non Amazon retailers. Very disappointed by this move
Won't be using this again
Original Poster
It would be nice if they saw this feedback and reversed their decision.

Chances are that this decision has happened because they have jumped into bed with Amazon though.
This completely removes their strong USP and aggravates the savvy shoppers they were wooing in the first place. I suspect it's for reasons other than they are giving to us as customers.

While I will continue to use the service I doubt they will be my first port of call now, something they had been for the last nine months.

A Flubit Fail!
I suggest emailing them and telling them that they suck now.
Original Poster
JustLikeArkwright

This completely removes their strong USP and aggravates the savvy … This completely removes their strong USP and aggravates the savvy shoppers they were wooing in the first place. I suspect it's for reasons other than they are giving to us as customers.While I will continue to use the service I doubt they will be my first port of call now, something they had been for the last nine months.A Flubit Fail!

It's a shame because they did really well on my Last of Us pre-order so if I did get a next-gen console this year, I was planning to go through them for all or most of my games and accessories plus Christmas presents for other people etc. I probably won't bother now.
I got this email.
I suspect I won't be using them again, shame as it was a good idea and worked with the competitive pricing.
Spark

It's a shame because they did really well on my Last of Us pre-order so … It's a shame because they did really well on my Last of Us pre-order so if I did get a next-gen console this year, I was planning to go through them for all or most of my games and accessories plus Christmas presents for other people etc. I probably won't bother now.

I wonder if financially they are in a tough place and the move was necessary to continue. On some deals I couldn't for the life of me work out how they were making any money at all. Especially so when looking at the difference in prices between the offers and those on invoices/despatch notes.
They sold out to Amazon no question. A well practiced, time old business model.

Step 1) Create an established (and growing) customer database. Once the sales figures hit the targets....

Step 2) Sell exclusivity to the highest bidder.

A pity, a good concept while it lasted.
Original Poster
dontasciime

Safe to say they've

You get a like for both the comment and the Roger Melly avatar.
its a sad day as i love that site
Meh, they have been a pain on my last few orders, had the last of us ordered last week via a demand on amazon and have had no dispatch email, despite now multiple support requests. Won't be using them again thats for sure.
Original Poster
JustLikeArkwright

I wonder if financially they are in a tough place and the move was … I wonder if financially they are in a tough place and the move was necessary to continue. On some deals I couldn't for the life of me work out how they were making any money at all. Especially so when looking at the difference in prices between the offers and those on invoices/despatch notes.

I think they were doing OK. I wouldn't be surprised if they were acting as a paid price-matching service for the online retailers at the same time. The savings we received were essentially our commission on what they were earning.

Edited by: "Spark" 6th Aug 2013
And it was written that DC would not use Flubit again after this. X)

This sucks and will hurt them.
Rubbish, i've never used Flubit to beat an Amazon price.

Time for a rival to launch...
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/3501534/sideshow-bob-steps-on-rakes-o.gif
I may try a few of my already agreed offers based on Amazon price see what it gets. Normally for games I've been doing Wow HD which are always so much cheaper.
MBeeching

Rubbish, i've never used Flubit to beat an Amazon price.Time for a rival … Rubbish, i've never used Flubit to beat an Amazon price.Time for a rival to launch...

The business was never going to keep going the way it was, its a move which has been planned and thought out for a purpose, amazon will have something to do with this. However, I don't see them lasting much longer.
might be why the last few games i put on there came via amazon when i gave them different links
Just seen this email and thought WTF.

Was going to send them Killzone Mercenary PS Vita at GameStop for £24.97 the other day but the site was down. It is £30 on Amazon. Chances of them giving it to me now cheaper than GameStop are slim to none. Will try it anyway when the site is back up but I can't see myself using Flubit much in the future. Fail.
Annnnnnd dropped.
Out of the six items that I had compared only one was from Amazon.
dontasciime

Safe to say they've

Thought I'd cracked this puzzle, but there's no K
Used Flubit a load in the last, 90% of my requests were non Amazon.

Bye bye Flubit, don't expect to see you in the next 12 months........
I've only just tried to join as well arghhh
Was going to make a post about this too, just got the email. Site's been down the past few days, now they spring this on us. Think I've used it for Amazon once, and that was a third-party seller. Dunno who this 90% they're talking about is...

Get your non-Amazon orders in quick!
aircanman

The business was never going to keep going the way it was, its a move … The business was never going to keep going the way it was, its a move which has been planned and thought out for a purpose, amazon will have something to do with this. However, I don't see them lasting much longer.

So as a consumer we are basically being told we are idiots.

90% of Flubit users tried to get a discount from Amazon? It's complete and utter corporate BS.
A nice easy line to feed the consumer on your way out.

Or maybe not. HUKD users are like flies on **** when Amazon price matches a deal.
It's all wonderful... of course it is. Until all that's left is Amazon.

deleted261453
I got a well done, we can't beat that price you are a Savay shopper the other day. And that was just for Nintendoland at £15.
That's £15 pound which is at a lot of places.
Bye bye flubit and I've never tried a compare against amazon. Mine where normally, wow HD, game & grainger games.
I like this line near the end of that article

A lot of the attention Tech City and the London start-up scene in general has gotten over recent weeks has been thanks to the purchase of Summly by Yahoo for $30 million. Asked if such a situation would be something Flubit would like, Stephens remains coy, but indicated that offers had been made.

Looks like the right offer was made.

Keep your price high on Amazon, get Flubit to beat it...then ship,your Amazon order out for still more than it should have been in the first place ...win win for Amazon and Bertie.
I just noticed this email, I emailed them to tell them I think this is a pretty crappy move. Never used an Amazon price as a comp, don't know if the majority of them are comparing Amazon though...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants