fluffy or smooth-that is the question

Found 6th Jul
for paint brushes

thought the title might get a few more views....

im going to be painting on fresh plaster in the next few days and was wondering which type of roller and brush our resident painters/decorators and experienced DIYers use.

whats the finish the foam roller give as opposed to the fluffy one?

also, any recommendations for which company do decent rollers and brushes. I know its a needle in a haystack question as everyone has their own opinions but im hoping to get some decent ideas and maybe some consensus.

that's what happened with the paint on bare plaster thread. some great opinions and advices.

thanks again

#ItsComingHome
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Don’t forget to do a watered down base layer of paint on the plaster first or you’ll have problems in the future with paint peeling. I’m not a painter but I believe it’s about a 4 to 1 ratio of paint to water.
As general rule, fluffy roller heads are for emulsion and smooth (foam) are for gloss.

No point IMO in buying high end roller heads unless you plan on washing out and re-using in future, I normally use the 'no nonsense' range from Screwfix, normally get a pack of 3 for £5 or so, throw away once done.

Use cling-film to wrap the roller head overnight and it'll be good to go again in the morning, same for the tray, wrap in cling film prior to use and simply remove when done, tray stays good as new so next time you only need to buy roller heads.

For brushes I do wash these and buy a better quality, Harris 'no loss' are the ones I'm currently using.
jayonline8530 m ago

Don’t forget to do a watered down base layer of paint on the plaster first …Don’t forget to do a watered down base layer of paint on the plaster first or you’ll have problems in the future with paint peeling. I’m not a painter but I believe it’s about a 4 to 1 ratio of paint to water.

I'm going to go for the screwfix bare plaster paint which people here have good things to say along 365 positive reviews on screwfix site.
andynicol36 m ago

As general rule, fluffy roller heads are for emulsion and smooth (foam) …As general rule, fluffy roller heads are for emulsion and smooth (foam) are for gloss.No point IMO in buying high end roller heads unless you plan on washing out and re-using in future, I normally use the 'no nonsense' range from Screwfix, normally get a pack of 3 for £5 or so, throw away once done.Use cling-film to wrap the roller head overnight and it'll be good to go again in the morning, same for the tray, wrap in cling film prior to use and simply remove when done, tray stays good as new so next time you only need to buy roller heads.For brushes I do wash these and buy a better quality, Harris 'no loss' are the ones I'm currently using.

Great advice about cling film on tray. It's emulsion I'll be using on fresh plastered walls, after base coat.

Main paint is dulux trade paint as I've got a great deal. 10ltr tub for £30 in white. Diamond matt so should be OK for a few years.

So 2 coat of screwfix bare plaster paint, and a coat of white dulux trade diamond matt white.

Just need to pick right emulsion white paint for coving. The non polystyrene one.
EN1GMA30 m ago

Great advice about cling film on tray. It's emulsion I'll be using on …Great advice about cling film on tray. It's emulsion I'll be using on fresh plastered walls, after base coat.Main paint is dulux trade paint as I've got a great deal. 10ltr tub for £30 in white. Diamond matt so should be OK for a few years.So 2 coat of screwfix bare plaster paint, and a coat of white dulux trade diamond matt white.Just need to pick right emulsion white paint for coving. The non polystyrene one.

B&Q also have bags for £1 like a giant sandwich bag that fits a whole roller tray in if you can’t be bothered wrapping in cling film. Just place the tray in with rollers and brushes and it just seals up.

Enjoy the painting
I use this roller set and it has been great. Far better then the usual roller you get which goes in one side

screwfix.com/p/n…39v
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants