Flying Ryan air with Trunki's

17 replies
Found 23rd Jan 2010
OK, I'm just editing my previous post as it looks like Trunkis are not allowed on Ryan air as they are 20.5cm deep, not 20cm as Ryan Air requests. The Trunki site is full of the 'suitable for hand luggage etc' but it looks like it's not!! Has anyone ever taken one on Ryan Air? Do they measure it or place it in a measuring thing??
I would hate to have to leave it behind if I take it.

Hiya, I'm hoping some of you frequent Ryan Air travellers can help me out. My mom has very kindly offered to pay for me and my 3 children to go to Spain with her. Unfortunately this time of year means that we can only fly Ryan Air. I have always managed to avoid them in the past as I know they are very strict when it comes to limits.
Are they really as strict as I have heard?? We are only allowed 15 kg in a bag and I can't afford to take more than 2 bags. I believe that I can take the buggy (although I am hoping that a double one won't be a problem) free but really don't want to have to pay £60 to take 3 carseats. I know when we have flown with other companies they have let us off with the car seats and I am aware that with easy jet that a 2 year old can use a car seat on the plane. Would I get away with using the car seat on the pushchair and saying it is part of the buggy??

With 3 children under 5 travelling with me I am wondering if it is really worth the hassle and cost. I will not hire the car seat out there as I have done that before and it was filthy and rusty!!! (and yes I complained I the only refund I got was 50 euro off my next booking which conveniently they never have availablity when I try and book with them!!)

1. Misc
  2. Trunki
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Trunki
17 Comments

not sure with ryan air but would have thought the car seats for some of the children wouldnt be the type that go with a pushchair?

prob best to give them a ring?

Original Poster

[QUOTE=jeany123;7633152]All the information is here
ryanair.com/en/…nts[/Q

Thanks, it has answered my question about seats on board. What I supopose I am really asking is how strict are they with these guidelines. BMI and Monache all basically say the same yet I have always been able to take the car seats on without any extra charges.

Oh and one of my car seats is the type to go on a buggy.

Don't really want to call as there is no alternative to a premium number as it is in ireland. I was hoing that someone on here has travelled with them before with children and could give me some advice as to the strictness of their policies

These past few weeks they seem to have been really strict from what my friends have told me

0871 246 0000 - 10p per minute

ryanair.com/en/…ers

All of the No Frills airlines are tightening up on strictly enforcing their rules, so I would not risk it, if I were you.

It could cost you a fortune if you pay at the airport.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've spoken to someone in Spain who may possibnly be able to help me out. Low cost airlines are great...as long as you don't have young children!!! My OH is flying out to join us a couple of days into the hols but he be a 'single' traveller and do everything like read on the plane, eat, listen to music and not check in his luggage..... I am sooooo jealous!!! Right I'd better get the baby a passport then!!!

Original Poster

I have just edited this to see if anyone knows about Trunkis on board??? Are they allowed?? Anyone ever taken a Trunki on Ryan Air.

They may make you fit it in to a fixed size cage, if it doesn't fit they will put it in the hold luggage and charge you extra.

Just stick to Ryanair rules to the letter, you will have no problems, break their rules and it will cost a fortune.;-)

My sister took hand luggage that had been allowed in march and was charged i think £28 in oct because it didnt fit in the cage so they have really decided to be strict ,so I would measure it and be careful

Original Poster

Thanks, just seems daft when the other dimensions are smaller and these have been designed for this purpose. I've emailed Trunki to see what they say

wookiemummy;7639983

Thanks, just seems daft when the other dimensions are smaller and these … Thanks, just seems daft when the other dimensions are smaller and these have been designed for this purpose. I've emailed Trunki to see what they say

I agree it sounds daft when the overall dimensions are smaller, however if it will not fit in to the cage, chances are you will get charged extra.

I'm afraid whatever Trunki may say, they will not change Ryanair rules.

Banned

Hello
Probably way too late for you guys but thought I'd post to help anyone else reading this! Flew with Ryananir recently from EMA and our Trunki fit in the cage things that Ryanair provide to check your luggage size at the airport, and if it fits in there then it's allowed on No comments from Ryanair staff either and we weren't the only Trunki on the flight too.

hi sarah is that tru that the trunki fit cos we are flying to bergerac frnace in a couple of weeks and some1 has bought my son a trunki and we havent booked any luggage only hand luggage so would like to take that with his cothes in it thank you

also interested in this. we are flying from Birmingham next week and like others have said, would be very annoying to find that 5mm costs me X amount of pounds

Original Poster

I risked it ( at Birmingham ) about 6 weeks ago having seen others with them. It fitted fine in the cage with room left over. You will be fine with it.

wookiemummy

I risked it ( at Birmingham ) about 6 weeks ago having seen others with … I risked it ( at Birmingham ) about 6 weeks ago having seen others with them. It fitted fine in the cage with room left over. You will be fine with it.

Thanks for this...are all Trunkis the same size, as our one is the fire engine one, which one do you have?

Original Poster

Mine is the cow one. Think they are all the same size though.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4176
    2. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251
    3. word association Game74244916
    4. Add one, leave one game54415442

See more discussions