Food and drinks for a healthier me

Would like to be a lot healthier.

Not looking to lose weight as I am pretty active.

Just want to know the food/drinks that you have that have done wonders for yourself, especially your skin.

Heard about green tea but apparently this helps to lose weight which isn't something I'm looking to do, rather the opposite lol

Any help is appreciated! Cheers

41 Comments

Good old tap water!

A few years ago I switched to twinnings mint green tea, only tea I drink as of then. I have to say I have not lost a pound of weight since drinking it. I think it only enhances weight loss if u are actively dieting etc. (Infact ive put on a stone and want to loose it! Lol)

Just thought, you mentioned skin. I use 100% pure organic coconut oil on my hair and my skin. (£3.49 in home bargains for a big 500g glass jar of it) It really has helped my skin to feel more smooth and softer. I have super long hair and I have to use prescription strength medicated shampoos as I have psoriasis on my scalp. This really dries out my hair so I use coconut oil on it, slather it on and comb it through, leave it overnight if possible then wash out. Leaves hair feeling super silky and soft and seems I don't get split ends. Just shampoo it out really really well, like four or so times, to get it all out, then condition as normal. Just thought u may find that info some use,please ignore if not :-) good luck with your health kick

Eat more oily fish or take cod liver oil and I buy the ones with vitamin A +D. D is a really good vitamin. It will do wonders for you skin. Avoid sugar where you can and cut out the crap foods. Eat as much as you need to stay feeling full but eat foods like fruit and vegetables. Soup for breakfast is good. Roasted almond milk on you cereal instead of milk. By lowering your overall calories the weight will come off but the trick is not to go hungry. Chocolate hot drinks are better than a bar and will stop your craving.

Original Poster

leah91085

Just thought, you mentioned skin. I use 100% pure organic coconut oil on … Just thought, you mentioned skin. I use 100% pure organic coconut oil on my hair and my skin. (£3.49 in home bargains for a big 500g glass jar of it) It really has helped my skin to feel more smooth and softer. I have super long hair and I have to use prescription strength medicated shampoos as I have psoriasis on my scalp. This really dries out my hair so I use coconut oil on it, slather it on and comb it through, leave it overnight if possible then wash out. Leaves hair feeling super silky and soft and seems I don't get split ends. Just shampoo it out really really well, like four or so times, to get it all out, then condition as normal. Just thought u may find that info some use,please ignore if not :-) good luck with your health kick

​I have organic coconut oil and have used it on my ever growing hair and has worked wonders. I unfortunately suffer from acne and feel that if I use it on my face, I will get an increase on the breakouts that I currently get. Thanks for the advice though

Original Poster

mousey

Good old tap water!

​I drink approx 1.5l of water so I feel that is enough alongside the waters from other foods as well

Moqsy

​I have organic coconut oil and have used it on my ever growing hair and h … ​I have organic coconut oil and have used it on my ever growing hair and has worked wonders. I unfortunately suffer from acne and feel that if I use it on my face, I will get an increase on the breakouts that I currently get. Thanks for the advice though

I totally understand, I also have acne. has got abit better in the last year, (maybe it's since I got old n turned 30 lol)I just make sure it doesn't go on the front of my face.. I definitely agree with the above comment for fish,great for skin. I'd say just any fresh vegetables is great for health. Still eat what u like just add abit more veg to it. I always add extra veg to pizzas if I buy frozen one. Sweetcorn, spinach, peppers, tomato etc. Ijustfeelit adds to it nicely :-)

There are loads of "superfoods" that you can buy to make your own smoothies. Have you tried doing that?
One of the best I have came across is made from organic grape skins. It is really high in antioxidants, and I love the taste! It's called Bioflavia and you can get it here, bioflavia.co.uk.

I also like Baobab fruit, baobabfruit.co.uk and also take Noni fruit capsules, noni-fruit.co.uk

The easiest way I find is just to put some natural yogurt in a shaker cup, add your powders, top up with water and shake. Quick and easy and tastes great!

leah91085

Just thought, you mentioned skin. I use 100% pure organic coconut oil on … Just thought, you mentioned skin. I use 100% pure organic coconut oil on my hair and my skin. (£3.49 in home bargains for a big 500g glass jar of it) It really has helped my skin to feel more smooth and softer. I have super long hair and I have to use prescription strength medicated shampoos as I have psoriasis on my scalp. This really dries out my hair so I use coconut oil on it, slather it on and comb it through, leave it overnight if possible then wash out. Leaves hair feeling super silky and soft and seems I don't get split ends. Just shampoo it out really really well, like four or so times, to get it all out, then condition as normal. Just thought u may find that info some use,please ignore if not :-) good luck with your health kick

I'm going to say one word.... nonsense!!!. coconut oil is yet another fad without any proven health benefits. perhaps the improvement is due to the fact that you actually started using cleaning product properly?

Moqsy

Would like to be a lot healthier.Not looking to lose weight as I am … Would like to be a lot healthier.Not looking to lose weight as I am pretty active.Just want to know the food/drinks that you have that have done wonders for yourself, especially your skin.Heard about green tea but apparently this helps to lose weight which isn't something I'm looking to do, rather the opposite lolAny help is appreciated! Cheers

if you look at responses most of people suggest nutritional supplements... I'd say you start with the basics.. what is the origin of those supplements? food.
if the country followed a simple eatwell guide there would be 400,000 less health related issues a year.
people dont even consume 3 portions of fruit and veg out of recommended 5 (in reality is something like 7 or 9) to experience benefits of healthy diet yet everyone is willing to spend hundreds of pounds on supplements.

if you have skin issues, I suggest visiting your GP. the issue may be so severe that medications like Accutane may be the only solution.

leah91085

Moqsy

Would like to be a lot healthier.Not looking to lose weight as I am … Would like to be a lot healthier.Not looking to lose weight as I am pretty active.Just want to know the food/drinks that you have that have done wonders for yourself, especially your skin.Heard about green tea but apparently this helps to lose weight which isn't something I'm looking to do, rather the opposite lolAny help is appreciated! Cheers

Nonsense? lol im sure your talking from experience of using it on your long hair! Puzzled as to why u think it's nonsense. It's oil. Oil is good for your skin. I have had psoriasis for many years and was actually prescribed this to use as a moisturiser years ago so I decided to buy it instead. But of corse you seem to know it's nonesense! What possible benefit would I get for making this up?! Lol
Also what are you talking about? I'm using a cleaning product properly?? I think I know how to bath and shower, thankyou

leah91085

Nonsense? lol im sure your talking from experience of using it on your … Nonsense? lol im sure your talking from experience of using it on your long hair! Puzzled as to why u think it's nonsense. It's oil. Oil is good for your skin. I have had psoriasis for many years and was actually prescribed this to use as a moisturiser years ago so I decided to buy it instead. But of corse you seem to know it's nonesense! What possible benefit would I get for making this up?! Lol Also what are you talking about? I'm using a cleaning product properly?? I think I know how to bath and shower, thankyou

perhaps you can provide research that supports your claim?

My experience. And unfortunately I don't have a degree in dermatology or scientific studies. All I know is my opinion on my experience with using it. If you don't agree that's fine but don't tell me it is nonsence unless YOU have evidence to prove me wrong. I dont know as I'm not an expert but I don't think there is recognised and registered evidence as to the possible benefits of coconut oil, that DOES NOT mean it does not have benefits! I am speaking from my own experience of using it topically. it helped me, I was giving advice based on my own experience, not factual information, which is what the OP was asking for.

leah91085

My experience. And unfortunately I don't have a degree in dermatology or … My experience. And unfortunately I don't have a degree in dermatology or scientific studies. All I know is my opinion on my experience with using it. If you don't agree that's fine but don't tell me it is nonsence unless YOU have evidence to prove me wrong. I dont know as I'm not an expert but I don't think there is recognised and registered evidence as to the possible benefits of coconut oil, that DOES NOT mean it does not have benefits! I am speaking from my own experience of using it topically. it helped me, I was giving advice based on my own experience, not factual information, which is what the OP was asking for.

your experience means absolutely nothing unfortunetly

Lol so does your opinion on my experience

leah91085

Lol so does your opinion on my experience

so you say that all the studies published showing no benefit of coconut oil are my opinion? interesting

Ugh this is boring. I did not say that. If you are that into it, re read what u said and my response. It's quite simple, u should get it.

Also I'm sure the OP wants suggestions to what she asked not some guy picking apart people's comments.

mattsokolinski

I'm going to say one word.... nonsense!!!. coconut oil is yet another fad … I'm going to say one word.... nonsense!!!. coconut oil is yet another fad without any proven health benefits. perhaps the improvement is due to the fact that you actually started using cleaning product properly?

acneeinstein.com/coc…ne/

dreadzone101

http://www.acneeinstein.com/coconut-oil-acne/

Yes! Thankyou

dereklogan7

I came across this site today, maybe helpfull for peeps with skin … I came across this site today, maybe helpfull for peeps with skin problems. https://www.natural-skin-care.com/specials.php

Thankyou I will check that out

dreadzone101

http://www.acneeinstein.com/coconut-oil-acne/

so let me get this right.... you use studies that compare olive oil/natural treatments vs coconut oil in management of dermatitis/acne to say that its better than everything else

mattsokolinski

so let me get this right.... you use studies that compare olive … so let me get this right.... you use studies that compare olive oil/natural treatments vs coconut oil in management of dermatitis/acne to say that its better than everything else

Linking an article with no other further comment apparently means that I'm saying "that its better than everything else"?

Did you read the comment of the person whom you were replying to? They said they had psoriasis on scalp which caused dryness and that coconut oil helped them. You responded saying it was nonsense and that it has no proven health benefits. The studies in the link suggest otherwise especially in regards to it helping with a skin condition with similar symptoms. How does linking an article to indicate this, in any way equate to an implication "that its better than everything else"? You rudely stated their personal experience means absolutely nothing and suggested that the experienced result was "due to the fact that [they] actually started using cleaning product properly" and asked them to provide evidence to support their claims and now disregard supporting evidence because it's not stating it's better than everything else when even they weren't claiming that.

dreadzone101

Linking an article with no other further comment apparently means that … Linking an article with no other further comment apparently means that I'm saying "that its better than everything else"? Did you read the comment of the person whom you were replying to? They said they had psoriasis on scalp which caused dryness and that coconut oil helped them. You responded saying it was nonsense and that it has no proven health benefits. The studies in the link suggest otherwise especially in regards to it helping with a skin condition with similar symptoms. How does linking an article to indicate this, in any way equate to an implication "that its better than everything else"? You rudely stated their personal experience means absolutely nothing and suggested that the experienced result was "due to the fact that [they] actually started using cleaning product properly" and asked them to provide evidence to support their claims and now disregard supporting evidence because it's not stating it's better than everything else when even they weren't claiming that.

There is no evidence suggesting benefits of coconut oil. the studies in the article you posted compare it to olive oil (where coconut oil was slightly better) or other "natural" products (where coconut oil was basically the same)... there are no placebo studies, there are no comparator studies to other medical/commercial treatments.
using any study to "support" your claims is called cherrypicking.

again... experience is meaningless because you cannot verify if improvement is due to confounding factors such as lest say washing your hair/skin 5 times to remove the oil.
Edited by: "mattsk" 13th Jan

My husband is really into eating healthily so this is apparently what you should be eating if you want to remain healthy. I say apparently because i am afraid i dont eat very healthily, the very opposite. I am certain that it will come back and bite me in later life but i am getting better than i used to be where i had sweets and cakes for lunch. Favourite dinner was macdonalds and macdonalds milkshake. I thought salads were for rabbits. Lol.

Eat lots of fish. Good for your eyesight and skin. Low in calories.
Avoid or reduce intake of red meat, which is bad for you. Eat white meat like chiken and pork.
Avoid processed meat so mincemeat, burgers and sausages.
Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, which are good for your digestive system, low in calories so you are less likely to have high cholesterol. Avoid eating too much cheese as this will increase your cholesterol level.
Avoid eating foods with too much sugar as these are high in calories but also bad for your teeth and can cause diabetes in extreme cases.
Reduce intake of coffee as too much coffee is bad for you generally but also bad for your skin. Tea on the other hand is very good for you but dont take sugar and use low fat milk if you can.
Avoid foods that are high in fat like chips and roast potatoes where they are coated witg fat. Foods with fat and sugar are bad in increasing cholesterol in the blood which can cause heart disease even if they dont cause weight gain.
Do drink too much alcohol as excessive alcohol is a killer. Dont drink too much fizzy drinks, even the diet ones as they are bad for your teeth.

mattsokolinski

There is no evidence suggesting benefits of coconut oil. the studies in … There is no evidence suggesting benefits of coconut oil. the studies in the article you posted compare it to olive oil (where coconut oil was slightly better) or other "natural" products (where coconut oil was basically the same)... there are no placebo studies, there are no comparator studies to other medical/commercial treatments.using any study to "support" your claims is called cherrypicking.again... experience is meaningless because you cannot verify if improvement is due to confounding factors such as lest say washing your hair/skin 5 times to remove the oil.

Again, opinion and experience is what the OP was asking for.
Seeing as your so into it, why don't you perform your own studies using 100% virgin coconut oil and let us know your findings after a month.

leah91085

Again, opinion and experience is what the OP was asking for. Seeing as … Again, opinion and experience is what the OP was asking for. Seeing as your so into it, why don't you perform your own studies using 100% virgin coconut oil and let us know your findings after a month.

(my) opinion based on scientific consensus is always better than any experience. you could say you shot yourself in a head and based on your experience you have survived (everybody knows its unlikely to be true for vast majority of people)....this is basically what you are saying about the coconut oil

Edited by: "mattsk" 14th Jan

Coconut oil is probably the best oil to use for frying / roasting with.

mattsokolinski

(my) opinion based on scientific consensus is always better than any … (my) opinion based on scientific consensus is always better than any experience. you could say you shot yourself in a head and based on your experience you have survived (everybody knows its unlikely to be true for vast majority of people)....this is basically what you are saying about the coconut oil

You argueing so much u don't even make sense lol like I said create your own study and come back in a months time with your findings seeing as your so obsessed with evidence

leah91085

You argueing so much u don't even make sense lol like I said create your … You argueing so much u don't even make sense lol like I said create your own study and come back in a months time with your findings seeing as your so obsessed with evidence

you clearly have no knowledge of science and how things are done in science dont you. the two studies you have cited clearly prove what I have said
Edited by: "mattsk" 14th Jan

Outside of the trlling above; my experience as a 40+ person is that since removing a lot of dairy from my diet and including more organic vegetables, meat etc and drinking moringa tea my skin is gleaming after suffering from adult acne. It turned around within 6 weeks so you have to be patient. Strong believer from my experience on the use of organic raw urefined coconut oil that this has woked for me on my skin.......you won't see an improvement overnight and it doesn't leave a residue.....just a tiny amount as people tend to oversaturate their face.

I also drink a lot of organic cashew or almond milk - not a fan of the other alternaives and I stear clear of soya

Good luck

mattsokolinski

you clearly have no knowledge of science and how things are done in … you clearly have no knowledge of science and how things are done in science dont you

NO I DO NOT. I TOLD YOU I AM NOT A SCIENTIST OR DERMATOLOGIST. I do not claim to be.

chocci

My husband! You're a bloke aren't you?

I am female

mattsokolinski

you clearly have no knowledge of science and how things are done in … you clearly have no knowledge of science and how things are done in science dont you. the two studies you have cited clearly prove what I have said

FFS you still here! After 2 or 3 days in one of these, you'll start feeling a big improvement. It's a scientific fact. wickes.co.uk/Wic…%7C

leah91085

NO I DO NOT. I TOLD YOU I AM NOT A SCIENTIST OR DERMATOLOGIST. I do not … NO I DO NOT. I TOLD YOU I AM NOT A SCIENTIST OR DERMATOLOGIST. I do not claim to be.

so perhaps you should listen to someone that knows a bit about science and is trying to explain it to you?

choc1969

Outside of the trlling above; my experience as a 40+ person is that since … Outside of the trlling above; my experience as a 40+ person is that since removing a lot of dairy from my diet and including more organic vegetables, meat etc and drinking moringa tea my skin is gleaming after suffering from adult acne. It turned around within 6 weeks so you have to be patient. Strong believer from my experience on the use of organic raw urefined coconut oil that this has woked for me on my skin.......you won't see an improvement overnight and it doesn't leave a residue.....just a tiny amount as people tend to oversaturate their face.I also drink a lot of organic cashew or almond milk - not a fan of the other alternaives and I stear clear of soyaGood luck

you have removed pretty much a food group that the effects of you will see later in your life.
Perhaps you could also stop wasting money on organic products that are yet another marketing ploy.

You are yet another example of what I'be been saying from the very beginning.... you switch to organic (irrelevant), removed dairy (also irrelevant), but you included extra vegetables in your diet (extremely relevant) whilst at the same time started using unrefined organic raw coconut oil (extremely irrelevant) yet you associate everything to it or the organic produce but forget that the balance of your diet switched towards the healthy eating advice that is freely available.
correlation is not causation
http://www.tylervigen.com/chart-pngs/8.png
http://www.tylervigen.com/chart-pngs/2.png

mattsokolinski

NO I DO NOT. I TOLD YOU I AM NOT A SCIENTIST OR DERMATOLOGIST. I do not … NO I DO NOT. I TOLD YOU I AM NOT A SCIENTIST OR DERMATOLOGIST. I do not claim to be.

so perhaps you should listen to someone that knows a bit about science and is trying to explain it to you?
choc1969

Outside of the trlling above; my experience as a 40+ person is that since … Outside of the trlling above; my experience as a 40+ person is that since removing a lot of dairy from my diet and including more organic vegetables, meat etc and drinking moringa tea my skin is gleaming after suffering from adult acne. It turned around within 6 weeks so you have to be patient. Strong believer from my experience on the use of organic raw urefined coconut oil that this has woked for me on my skin.......you won't see an improvement overnight and it doesn't leave a residue.....just a tiny amount as people tend to oversaturate their face.I also drink a lot of organic cashew or almond milk - not a fan of the other alternaives and I stear clear of soyaGood luck

you have removed pretty much a food group that the effects of you will see later in your life.
Perhaps you could also stop wasting money on organic products that are yet another marketing ploy.
You are yet another example of what I'be been saying from the very beginning.... you switch to organic (irrelevant), removed dairy (also irrelevant), but you included extra vegetables in your diet (extremely relevant) whilst at the same time started using unrefined organic raw coconut oil (extremely irrelevant) yet you associate everything to it or the organic produce but forget that the balance of your diet switched towards the healthy eating advice that is freely available.
correlation is not causationhttp://www.tylervigen.com/chart-pngs/8.pnghttp://www.tylervigen.com/chart-pngs/2.png[/quotes
You did not try to explain anything to me. You said my opinion doesn't matter and asked me to provide you with proof. That is not trying to explain anything. You are not a scientist. Your probably a student with no qualifications in dermatology and definitely are one highly irritating troll. I have no interest in talking to you or listing to your opinions on anything. So that's it from me. Say whatever you like. I have better things to do with my time. Evidently you haven't.

mattsokolinski

again... experience is meaningless because you cannot verify if … again... experience is meaningless because you cannot verify if improvement is due to confounding factors such as lest say washing your hair/skin 5 times to remove the oil.

A line from OP's description

Just want to know the food/drinks that you have that have done wonders … Just want to know the food/drinks that you have that have done wonders for yourself, especially your skin.

They even responded to coconut oil being mentioned and agreed that it worked wonders for their hair but hadn't tried on their skin. Despite this, people commenting on what has worked for them, are met with judgements from you for being nonsense and are getting told their personal experience is absolutely meaningless because science...?

Imagine going onto an Ask thread where someone was asking about opinions on Gearbest. The common trend is that when Gearbest deals are posted, there's usually comments regarding them being bad. So if someone were to comment on that thread saying how they received damaged or faulty product, would you be adamant about going against their views and point out how their personal experience means absolutely nothing and that their claims are inconclusive due to other possible factors for the problem.

You said "correlation is not causation" to dismiss what others have experienced. In regards to using correlation as scientific evidence:

sometimes people commit the opposite fallacy – dismissing correlation e … sometimes people commit the opposite fallacy – dismissing correlation entirely, as if it does not suggest causation at all. This would dismiss a large swath of important scientific evidence. Since it may be difficult or ethically impossible to run controlled double-blind studies, correlational evidence from several different angles may be the strongest causal evidence available.

Over 1500 studies on coconut oil. The general consensus would suggest it's beneficial. If you want to disregard them all and still consider it to be "no evidence" then so be it. If you think that me pointing this out is called "cherrypicking" then go ahead. However, I still cannot see why you feel the need to be rude towards the views of others when they are answering what OP has asked.

OP: What has worked wonders for you
Others: For me ____ has helped
You: That's nonsense and your personal experience means nothing because science

mattsokolinski

again... experience is meaningless because you cannot verify if … again... experience is meaningless because you cannot verify if improvement is due to confounding factors such as lest say washing your hair/skin 5 times to remove the oil.

Just want to know the food/drinks that you have that have done wonders … Just want to know the food/drinks that you have that have done wonders for yourself, especially your skin.

sometimes people commit the opposite fallacy – dismissing correlation e … sometimes people commit the opposite fallacy – dismissing correlation entirely, as if it does not suggest causation at all. This would dismiss a large swath of important scientific evidence. Since it may be difficult or ethically impossible to run controlled double-blind studies, correlational evidence from several different angles may be the strongest causal evidence available.

first of all you clearly misunderstand the difference between scientific evidence and testimonials when it comes to health. you compare it to purchases on chinese websites.
the simple fact that coconut oil is sold at the grocery store and not pharmacy shows how useless it is in terms of health.
if every doctor were to use any product based on experience rather than evidence the NHS would be gone years ago.
and your comment regarding correlation is also incorrect I suggest you read what I wrote. in addition I suggest you also watch this video youtube.com/wat…46g
and it should not be a problem commencing a double blinded RCT on application of coconut oil on skin since there are no risks involved.

and the only correct answer/advice in this thread is #24

mutley1

My husband is really into eating healthily so this is apparently what you … My husband is really into eating healthily so this is apparently what you should be eating if you want to remain healthy. I say apparently because i am afraid i dont eat very healthily, the very opposite. I am certain that it will come back and bite me in later life but i am getting better than i used to be where i had sweets and cakes for lunch. Favourite dinner was macdonalds and macdonalds milkshake. I thought salads were for rabbits. Lol.Eat lots of fish. Good for your eyesight and skin. Low in calories.Avoid or reduce intake of red meat, which is bad for you. Eat white meat like chiken and pork.Avoid processed meat so mincemeat, burgers and sausages.Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, which are good for your digestive system, low in calories so you are less likely to have high cholesterol. Avoid eating too much cheese as this will increase your cholesterol level.Avoid eating foods with too much sugar as these are high in calories but also bad for your teeth and can cause diabetes in extreme cases.Reduce intake of coffee as too much coffee is bad for you generally but also bad for your skin. Tea on the other hand is very good for you but dont take sugar and use low fat milk if you can.Avoid foods that are high in fat like chips and roast potatoes where they are coated witg fat. Foods with fat and sugar are bad in increasing cholesterol in the blood which can cause heart disease even if they dont cause weight gain.Do drink too much alcohol as excessive alcohol is a killer. Dont drink too much fizzy drinks, even the diet ones as they are bad for your teeth.

Pork is red meat

mattsokolinski

Please remove yourself from planet earth.

I was really hoping this would help put me to sleep. But no such luck. Can't believe how argumentative someone can be
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. American Road Trip11
    2. Iptv810
    3. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    4. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33

See more discussions