Groups

Food bank donations

Banned
    Hi

I hope this is the right place to make people aware of the difficult times some people are having at this time of year concerning food banks. Many families that are dependant on this means of feeding themselves will be dealing with the extra burden of not receiving free school meals for their children during the summer term break.

Please consider supplying whatever you can spare.

64 Comments

I always buy a little extra for the food bank when shopping, you never know I might need it one day.

I try and remember to add essentials, salt, cooking oil, pulses, rice, pasta, passata it's all very very cheap and helps make a substantial meal.

I tend to put a quids worth of extra stuff in the trolley when I shop . I don't miss it and it might make all the difference to someone

Well I guess it needs to be said but it's a sad indictment when in today's society, in the UK, we're talking about food banks being essential for the less well off.

5th richest economy yet we have this stain on our conscience but wait we CAN afford billions on trident , invading other countries and supporting illegal immigrants?

The government would rather feed the war machine than the poor.

shauneco

The government would rather feed the war machine than the poor.

To be fair there is a much better ROI on feeding the war machine, you don't get much back from the poor however much money you throw in their direction.

Unfortunately people will always make poor life choices and pay the consequences for them, its simply human nature and we will continue to have food banks and a benefits system to hopefully catch the vulnerable in society.

DKLS

To be fair there is a much better ROI on feeding the war machine, you … To be fair there is a much better ROI on feeding the war machine, you don't get much back from the poor however much money you throw in their direction.Unfortunately people will always make poor life choices and pay the consequences for them, its simply human nature and we will continue to have food banks and a benefits system to hopefully catch the vulnerable in society.

What sort of warped argument is that ?
    the poor are not spending their money on a zillion pound villa in the Seychelles ffs

DKLS

To be fair there is a much better ROI on feeding the war machine, you … To be fair there is a much better ROI on feeding the war machine, you don't get much back from the poor however much money you throw in their direction.Unfortunately people will always make poor life choices and pay the consequences for them, its simply human nature and we will continue to have food banks and a benefits system to hopefully catch the vulnerable in society.

Poor life choices? What like losing your job out of no fault of your own. Or illness? Or caring for someone full time.

I'm going to take your response as trolling.

DKLS

Being poor isnt a poor life choice! It might be for a tiny amount of people, but most people are stuck in situations out of their control.

haritori

Being poor isnt a poor life choice! It might be for a tiny amount of … Being poor isnt a poor life choice! It might be for a tiny amount of people, but most people are stuck in situations out of their control.

I do apologise, I tend to forget that its never their fault that they are struggling.

EN1GMA

Poor life choices? What like losing your job out of no fault of your own. … Poor life choices? What like losing your job out of no fault of your own. Or illness? Or caring for someone full time. I'm going to take your response as trolling.

Not for all granted but there are actually a few who do make poor choices that can lead to their own downfall a lot also still have their priorities wrong. They can't eat but can have internet cigs booze sky etc
    In this country the likes of the "genuinely" disabled should never need the services of the food banks but also too many young girls in the past saw having a baby straight out of school was the way to go for the future security under the old social system
    I was always taught to only have kids if you could afford to raise them and unfortunately there are others who ignored that advice and looked to the taxpayer to prop them up
    For those who lose their job there should be much better provision in place to enable them to get back into a position where they can support their family as soon as possible but it's hard for that to happen now due to the imported cheap labour
    All the benefits and the child benefit exported all over Europe have to be paid from somewhere and with the extra financial pressures at the moment of the ever expanding public services and the monies sent abroad in aid there is only so many pennies to be shared around
    Hopefully the young ones in this country in the future will think carefully about obtaining life skills and trades more seriously

DKLS

I do apologise, I tend to forget that its never their fault that they are … I do apologise, I tend to forget that its never their fault that they are struggling.

A lot of the time it is

Always throw a few extra things in my trolley or offers to put in the local food bank.
    Not everyone on benefits or low wages are scroungers.

themachman

Always throw a few extra things in my trolley or offers to put in the … Always throw a few extra things in my trolley or offers to put in the local food bank.Not everyone on benefits or low wages are scroungers.

I agree and do the same as some in society such as genuinely
    Disabled and ex servicemen and old folk who have paid into the system all their lives but to be treated differently when not paying in any more really do deserve better

Perhaps the supermarkets should give away their waste. Joke.

I always wondered why the likes of Tesco allowed food bank volunteers to collect food at the entrance of their stores, more revenue for Tesco.

I can't understand how you can not afford to eat. Food is rediculously cheap in this country.

Kg Rice <50p
    Kg Lentils <£2
    Kg Spaghetti <50p
    Kg Potatos/Onion <£1/<50p

In addition there's countless fruit and veg offers in Lidl/ALdi, often matched by the big 4.

Something about giving a man a fish...

themorgatron

I can't understand how you can not afford to eat. Food is rediculously … I can't understand how you can not afford to eat. Food is rediculously cheap in this country.Kg Rice <50pKg Lentils <£2Kg Spaghetti <50pKg Potatos/Onion <£1/<50pIn addition there's countless fruit and veg offers in Lidl/ALdi, often matched by the big 4.Something about giving a man a fish...

Maybe also something to do with some people not knowing how to cook properly anymore. Lots of dishes can be made really cheaply from scratch, but if schools no longer teach "home economics" as it was in my day , and families aren't passing down the skills to cook properly, then I guess your food bill will cost more.

tinkerbellian

Maybe also something to do with some people not knowing how to cook … Maybe also something to do with some people not knowing how to cook properly anymore. Lots of dishes can be made really cheaply from scratch, but if schools no longer teach "home economics" as it was in my day , and families aren't passing down the skills to cook properly, then I guess your food bill will cost more.

In total agreement here . Kids aren't taught how to cook properly . You can cook a healthy nutritious meal very cheaply. It's a life skill we should be focussing on . Maybe if we did that there would not be the Reliance on food banks there is ,but there will always be someone put into emergency b&b accommodation who needs some tea bags and a couple of cans of beans just to keep them going . For this reason I'll keep on spending my extra quid . There but f o r the Grace of God and all that

Graham1979

Teesside MP criticised for claiming £2.25 mileage to open food bankHis … Teesside MP criticised for claiming £2.25 mileage to open food bankHis friend was the MP that claimed for a WREATH for REMEMBERANCE DAY

Scroungers

Agreed that basic skills on cooking should be taught. But that's got nothing to do with people actually needing food banks.

themorgatron

I can't understand how you can not afford to eat. Food is rediculously … I can't understand how you can not afford to eat. Food is rediculously cheap in this country.Kg Rice <50pKg Lentils <£2Kg Spaghetti <50pKg Potatos/Onion <£1/<50pIn addition there's countless fruit and veg offers in Lidl/ALdi, often matched by the big 4.Something about giving a man a fish...

No you are just wrong sorry
    **** happens
    I don't know what saddo's spammed my comment (_;)

tinkerbellian

Maybe also something to do with some people not knowing how to cook … Maybe also something to do with some people not knowing how to cook properly anymore. Lots of dishes can be made really cheaply from scratch, but if schools no longer teach "home economics" as it was in my day , and families aren't passing down the skills to cook properly, then I guess your food bill will cost more.

I Watched some Channel 5 scroungers on benefits or something, and the mum of a family of about 15 made Spaghetti and Hot dog sausages, she used about 5 packs of spaghetti and about 10 packs of hotdog sausages sliced up.

So I priced that at about £15.00, for the same price she could've used some spaghetti, passata a bit of garlic and some proper meatballs which would of been more tasty, filling and nutritious, but your right its lack of knowledge.

I've always said schools should be teaching fundamentals,,

Cooking, Cleaning, Textiles, Basic Tool Workshops, Finances, Banking including Credit Loans & Mortgages.

all these we expect adults to know. yet who teaches them?

If someone can promise me that any donations to a food bank are not to : -
    Support a 6 pack of Lager so the kids can eat
    Allow for keeping a satellite/cable package
    Keep money going up in smoke.

Then I will give to the food banks. I know where I came from, I'm not stereotyping and have suffered elements of poverty in my time so not being high and might either.

Oneday77

If someone can promise me that any donations to a food bank are not to : … If someone can promise me that any donations to a food bank are not to : - Support a 6 pack of Lager so the kids can eatAllow for keeping a satellite/cable packageKeep money going up in smoke. Then I will give to the food banks. I know where I came from, I'm not stereotyping and have suffered elements of poverty in my time so not being high and might either.

(1)Well get a life or learn how others live theirs
    (2) get real
    (3)see my comment above

thewongwing101

(1)Well get a life or learn how others live theirs (2) get real(3)see my … (1)Well get a life or learn how others live theirs (2) get real(3)see my comment above

My problem is I want it to go to the genuine people who have hit it hard. I know to well from when I was growing up that there are people who will milk schemes like this to their own end, that is from personal experience. Not the tabloids or benefit claimant beaters.

I do give to charity. I give away about £1.500 of toys every year at Christmas with some work colleagues. So I'm not speaking out of turn.

Half a dozen free range eggs 89p . Pack of peppers 79p . Couple of onions 20p . Punnet of mushrooms 89p . Heap of grated cheese 50p . Handfuls peas and sweetcorn 30p . Frittata for four under a quid a head and several of your five a day .

Oneday77

My problem is I want it to go to the genuine people who have hit it hard. … My problem is I want it to go to the genuine people who have hit it hard. I know to well from when I was growing up that there are people who will milk schemes like this to their own end, that is from personal experience. Not the tabloids or benefit claimant beaters. I do give to charity. I give away about £1.500 of toys every year at Christmas with some work colleagues. So I'm not speaking out of turn.

My problem is I don't want it to go to the lazy bankers and there chumps in the Westminster bureaucracy

really people with kids are struggling? what does the child benefit and tax credits go on?

tinkerbellian

maybe people should have had some basic life skills lessons instead of spreading their legs to get a free flat and a weekly income.

There's no excuse not to be able to cook from scratch.

Oneday77

My problem is I want it to go to the genuine people who have hit it hard. … My problem is I want it to go to the genuine people who have hit it hard. I know to well from when I was growing up that there are people who will milk schemes like this to their own end, that is from personal experience. Not the tabloids or benefit claimant beaters. I do give to charity. I give away about £1.500 of toys every year at Christmas with some work colleagues. So I'm not speaking out of turn.

While I certainly agree there are scumbags who will milk the system there are also those in genuine need . It must be heart breaking to admit you cannot feed your family . If you donate to a reputable food bank you can be sure the applicants have been assessed as needing help . I'd rather give five packets of noodles knowing that at least four will go to needy people than not give them in case one packet went to a scrounger .

thewongwing101

My problem is I don't want it to go to the lazy bankers and there chumps … My problem is I don't want it to go to the lazy bankers and there chumps in the Westminster bureaucracy

We agree on something then. Though is that any better than the 'responsible' adults in the house spending £8 on 20 fags or £5 on some tins of Super.
    One group are completely clueless and oblivious to poverty. The other group can see first hand what hand has been dealt but still choose themselves first.
    It's the forgotten group in the middle I want donations to go to.

Oneday77

We agree on something then. Though is that any better than the … We agree on something then. Though is that any better than the 'responsible' adults in the house spending £8 on 20 fags or £5 on some tins of Super. One group are completely clueless and oblivious to poverty. The other group can see first hand what hand has been dealt but still choose themselves first. It's the forgotten group in the middle I want donations to go to.

The group spending a zillion whatever on where ever ?

haritori

I've always said schools should be teaching fundamentals,,Cooking, … I've always said schools should be teaching fundamentals,,Cooking, Cleaning, Textiles, Basic Tool Workshops, Finances, Banking including Credit Loans & Mortgages.all these we expect adults to know. yet who teaches them?

Parents? What are parents meant to teach?

School gets you prepared for a working life. Other life lessons should be taught by parents.

Edited by: "A1512" 9th Aug 2016

Aiden1512

:|Parents? What are parents meant to teach? School gets you prepared for … :|Parents? What are parents meant to teach? School gets you prepared for a working life. Other life lessons should be taught by parents.

You mean my son won't have to wait till he is five to learn please, thank you and oops I've pee'd myself. Glad to hear we took the initiative before he looked silly at school.

Oneday77

You mean my son won't have to wait till he is five to learn please, thank … You mean my son won't have to wait till he is five to learn please, thank you and oops I've pee'd myself. Glad to hear we took the initiative before he looked silly at school.

Nope. He can learn at 3 when he starts nursery.

Oneday77

We agree on something then. Though is that any better than the … We agree on something then. Though is that any better than the 'responsible' adults in the house spending £8 on 20 fags or £5 on some tins of Super. One group are completely clueless and oblivious to poverty. The other group can see first hand what hand has been dealt but still choose themselves first. It's the forgotten group in the middle I want donations to go to.

Not by any means who wants to be reasonable ffs ?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions