Food Ratings (Food Standards Agency) questions

Posted 20th Feb
I have a couple of questions (if anybody knows) regarding the ratings system when it comes to food sold in various establishments.

1. If a restaurant has a rating of 2/5, would you order from them?
2. If said restaurant has a rating of 2/5 which states "Improvement needed", how long would it be before they are reinspected and a issued a new rating?

I used to know someone who worked in a pub and they said that getting a 5 rating is pretty easy, and anything lower than a 3 is pretty bad.

Cheers.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
I'm guessing you've already looked at the website?
food.gov.uk/saf…eme
The main factors when I decide where to order food from is taste and price! I wouldn't even know the hygiene ratings of the places I go to. But if the place looks like a tip I will walk out. I don't need some pencil pusher with a clipboard to tell me that.
all im adding to this is that make sure you do check i ordered from just eat and a few days later found out the restaurant was rated a 1
Was the food bad no however if i knew they had only scored a 1 i wouldn’t of
Saying that ive been ok
I do check the food rating's, the worst place are numerous times where they have scored low over Inspections as you would think the establishment would have got there act together, surely if not something is seriously wrong, to score well it is basic good food hygiene standards & documenting/training to support this, therefore if the food place can't be bothered, are they really bothered about you're food or you're money; could food be out of date perhaps, not kept a right temperatures, lacking cleanliness.
Up to you at the end of the day though
Edited by: "sidhoooooo" 20th Feb
I’m a food science degree holder. Work for a brand that sells to the major retailers and have auditing experience. Getting a 5 is easy you just have to follow strict protocol. But you’d be surprised how easy it is to lapse from the guidelines, I’m starting my own company soon helping businesses achieve 5 star ratings before the annual inspection
If they cannot get a good score despite KNOWING when they are being inspected then imagine how bad it is when the inspector is not there. Whether it is pure incompetence or not giving a monkeys about hygiene / food quality that they serve to the customer the answer is the same.. go elsewhere and don't reward them for it.
People are always put off when they see the waiter touch their food, or the chef not washing their hands and rightly so. A bad rated establishment has bad practices going on behind the kitchen door...
I always check the rating before ordering, if its less than 4 i give it a miss
it's bssic business and hygiene , getting 5 is not easy but easy if you work hard and look after the kitchen. I think anything lower than 3 will be less than what you do at home, and like the person says there no in advance when there have inspection, but just cause you eat at restaurants with 1 ,don't mean you get food posioning , means there don't give a hoot, and your taking higher risk, like leaving your door open unlocked, doesn't mean you gonna get burgled,means you taking unnecessary risk.

good Idea to look at their history, if it gone from 4 or 5 too a low score, maybe there having hiccups but if it always been low for many years,well the food better be cheap lol
DevilsReaper20/02/2020 10:20

I always check the rating before ordering, if its less than 4 i give it a …I always check the rating before ordering, if its less than 4 i give it a miss

Same.
It depends on the reason, my local had high scores for food and hygiene safety but low confidence in management which pulled them down to a 2. As I eat the food and not the management, it didn't bother me.
dcx_badass20/02/2020 11:21

It depends on the reason, my local had high scores for food and hygiene …It depends on the reason, my local had high scores for food and hygiene safety but low confidence in management which pulled them down to a 2. As I eat the food and not the management, it didn't bother me.

A 3 for Management of food safety is:
System or checks in place to ensure that food sold or served is safe to eat, evidence that staff know about food safety, and the food safety officer has confidence that standards will be maintained in future

IF they are below that then I would seriously question whether the score was only satisfactory overall because it was cleaned for the inspection and not because it is their usual process.
i never check an establishment's ratings. i have bought food from kebab shops and fried chicken shops and they don't exactly look like the ritz but i have been fine. i find the food that does me in the most is the chinese restaurants. they seem to disagree with me more than the chinese takeaways. i have had a few episodes of bad tummy and food poisoning from chinese restaurants.
britlad20/02/2020 07:08

I'm guessing you've already looked at the …I'm guessing you've already looked at the website?https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/food-hygiene-rating-scheme

Cheers. So basically 6 months to improve if poorly rated.
Pricklerickle20/02/2020 10:24

if it gone from 4 or 5 too a low score, maybe there having hiccups but if …if it gone from 4 or 5 too a low score, maybe there having hiccups but if it always been low for many years,well the food better be cheap lol

Yep. This is what happened. It was originally rated a 5 which is why I always ordered from them. Recently I had noticed that they dropped to 2, and I was thinking that that is a little too low for my liking.

On the other hand, I have always ordered from them, unknowingly spotting the ratings drop. The food is fantastic, and the service is top notch, but of course, hygiene is a different matter.

This has also happened to the other restaurant I order from, following the inspection recently, they dropped from 5 to 3...

I wasn't sure if the inspections have gotten more intense and increased regulations and some businesses just haven't adapted to the changes yet.
Edited by: "guru404" 20th Feb
guru40420/02/2020 12:06

Yep. This is what happened. It was originally rated a 5 which is why I …Yep. This is what happened. It was originally rated a 5 which is why I always ordered from them. Recently I had noticed that they dropped to 2, and I was thinking that that is a little too low for my liking.On the other hand, I have always ordered from them, unknowingly spotting the ratings drop. The food is fantastic, and the service is top notch, but of course, hygiene is a different matter.This has also happened to the other restaurant I order from, following the inspection recently, they dropped from 5 to 3...I wasn't sure if the inspections have gotten more intense and increased regulations and some businesses just haven't adapted to the changes yet.

what did the scores change from, is it still same owner,.

when I moved into new area, I checked out all scores and found Chinese place has A 1 and still has a 1 but a butcher had a 1 too, I think it was flies that got it down but now it is a 5 and great place, sometimes business need to learn , there might ask for a re score
guru40420/02/2020 12:06

Yep. This is what happened. It was originally rated a 5 which is why I …Yep. This is what happened. It was originally rated a 5 which is why I always ordered from them. Recently I had noticed that they dropped to 2, and I was thinking that that is a little too low for my liking.On the other hand, I have always ordered from them, unknowingly spotting the ratings drop. The food is fantastic, and the service is top notch, but of course, hygiene is a different matter.This has also happened to the other restaurant I order from, following the inspection recently, they dropped from 5 to 3...I wasn't sure if the inspections have gotten more intense and increased regulations and some businesses just haven't adapted to the changes yet.

Hygienic food handling
Cleanliness and condition of facilities and building
Management of food safety

Sometimes the ratings can be low because of the last section, not keeping records etc!

Have you got a link to the place you are talking about?
smashed20/02/2020 11:26

A 3 for Management of food safety is: System or checks in place to ensure …A 3 for Management of food safety is: System or checks in place to ensure that food sold or served is safe to eat, evidence that staff know about food safety, and the food safety officer has confidence that standards will be maintained in futureIF they are below that then I would seriously question whether the score was only satisfactory overall because it was cleaned for the inspection and not because it is their usual process.

I guess but it's a well regarded local place and one of it's gimmicks is that the kitchen is behind the counter so you can directly watch the food being cooked and it always seems clean to me. I just checked now anyway after this thread and it's now gone upto a 4.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 20th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants