Food shortage - the truths?

Posted 20th MarEdited by:"Straycat1967"
I took time out to think about the current so called "panic buying" being to blame for all the food & grocery shortages across all of the UK.

Personally I do not believe we are being told the full truth from supermarket CEO's & Govt officials in regard the shortages from manufacturers/farms to supermarkets.

I believe for one, the fruit & veg supply chain is broken and to a degree the same would go for none perishables to an extent, based on imported ingredients to make basic staple foods whether they be tin tomatoes or pasta. How self sufficient are we in the UK?

Articles like the one below are typical of our imports:

glotechrepairs.co.uk/new…om/

1) Fruit & Vegetables are decimated in every supermarket I go in, why? They have a very short life span so are shopper's really hoarding fruit & veg, maybe, but probably not. I believe because a large proportion of our fruit & veg is imported we are having supply issues. I see frozen veg in the supermarkets but hardly any fresh veg.

I'm the last person that wants to be a scare monger but I am very worried that we as the general population are not being told the full truth when it comes to food & household supply availability to us all.

Are supplies from abroad drying up? Who knows, time will tell.

Furthermore, I am just one of a two person household, have not panic bought based on the advice of the "people in the know". Yet it is impossible to now buy basic essential food & groceries in my neck of the woods. More alarming is the lack of contingencies in place by the" big 5" in respect online/collect & collect ordering. Not one of those supermarkets can offer me a deliver or collection slot over the next 3 weeks (there max order time in advance).
I was lucky, so I thought, to get a random slot for delivery 5 days ago with Asda for delivery on 27th March. However, everyday the picked items have been DIMINISHED one by one to the point my shopping list is almost pointless. Why let people book slots, when rare anyway, if in fact you have an almost zero chance of getting any of your prearranged ordered items. Supermarkets sort it out ASAP!
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
I work for one of the busiest Asda's in the UK, we're getting bigger and bigger deliverys every single night but still can't keep up with the demand, theres only so much we can do.
Chirstmas is obviously our busiest time of the year and we're prepared for this all year, get extra staff and know how it's going to go.
This pandemic has put a massive strain on us all working in Supermarkets, customers going nuts with us for not having the shelves full, yet it's the customers fault buying double triple what they need! If everybody calmed down and bought what they needed none of this panic would be happening.
We actually need staff right now and security, as more people are trying to nick stuff and buy more items that are restricted to 1 or 2 per customer.
Straycat196720/03/2020 23:26

Sorry but posts like this is me speaking my mind on how I feel we are not …Sorry but posts like this is me speaking my mind on how I feel we are not being told ALL the truth. You summed it up, shelf stripping etc.... but this does not help 90% of people who are not prepared to queue when we are told not to go out where their are masses of people. To me it's a contradiction by the govt to on one hand don't go to pubs, gyms etc... yet it's okay to queue with hundreds outside a supermarket. My point of thinking originally is why are our selves void of fruit n veg (perishable item/use within a few days). I get the bread, milk, tins etc because people can store or freeze..but fruit n veg? That's where the whole broken supply chain of imports might be playing a part.

There is no conspiracy. The only thing that’s happening here is you cannot bring yourself to accept that a lot of the people around you are selfish a-holes.
People could be making meals and freezing them. That would explain why fresh fruit and veg is being decimated. (Frozen fruit and veg is being all bought in my area too)

The big 5 do have contingencies. They’ve asked the government to temporarily suspend competition rules so they can come together to get through this panic buying nonsense. They are hiring thousands of staff to cope with the demand.

They cannot magic new supplies out of thin air. Things have to be grown, manufactured etc. There are no shortages. Nobody is going to starve. Supplies/goods are still going through the borders of every country (even the ones in lockdown).

It’s all caused by people hoarding and taking everything off the shelves for some imaginary apocalypse that doesn’t (and will not) exist. Too many muppets listening to other muppets on social media is what is causing it all. They think the world will end if 5% of our population die from this. It won’t.

All it shows is how terrible people are with logic and reasoning. They cannot think for themselves.
Mate works for Sainsbury’s deliveries. He’s a truck driver. There’s plenty in stock just can’t fill the due to the greed of some people.
33 Comments
Chipps20/03/2020 23:03

Comment deleted

care to explain why? Please do not use personal insults too, not necessary thanks.
Supply chain is the problem. I am in the vulnerable group so can go to the supermarket early and get my food. There is plenty but the queue behind me was lengthy. They stripped the shelves. Stop panic buying and there will be plenty of food, also post like this create panic.
Chipps20/03/2020 23:13

Comment deleted

Don't get me wrong, total admiration for those out in the so called firing line! It's the uncovered truths which pee me off mate!
Yea there is shortage because eu borders are closed.

Spoke to a milkman who does deliveries and he says it’s mental and a little shortage already
mcgregor717620/03/2020 23:17

Supply chain is the problem. I am in the vulnerable group so can go to the …Supply chain is the problem. I am in the vulnerable group so can go to the supermarket early and get my food. There is plenty but the queue behind me was lengthy. They stripped the shelves. Stop panic buying and there will be plenty of food, also post like this create panic.

Sorry but posts like this is me speaking my mind on how I feel we are not being told ALL the truth. You summed it up, shelf stripping etc.... but this does not help 90% of people who are not prepared to queue when we are told not to go out where their are masses of people. To me it's a contradiction by the govt to on one hand don't go to pubs, gyms etc... yet it's okay to queue with hundreds outside a supermarket.
My point of thinking originally is why are our selves void of fruit n veg (perishable item/use within a few days). I get the bread, milk, tins etc because people can store or freeze..but fruit n veg? That's where the whole broken supply chain of imports might be playing a part.
I work for one of the busiest Asda's in the UK, we're getting bigger and bigger deliverys every single night but still can't keep up with the demand, theres only so much we can do.
Chirstmas is obviously our busiest time of the year and we're prepared for this all year, get extra staff and know how it's going to go.
This pandemic has put a massive strain on us all working in Supermarkets, customers going nuts with us for not having the shelves full, yet it's the customers fault buying double triple what they need! If everybody calmed down and bought what they needed none of this panic would be happening.
We actually need staff right now and security, as more people are trying to nick stuff and buy more items that are restricted to 1 or 2 per customer.
People could be making meals and freezing them. That would explain why fresh fruit and veg is being decimated. (Frozen fruit and veg is being all bought in my area too)

The big 5 do have contingencies. They’ve asked the government to temporarily suspend competition rules so they can come together to get through this panic buying nonsense. They are hiring thousands of staff to cope with the demand.

They cannot magic new supplies out of thin air. Things have to be grown, manufactured etc. There are no shortages. Nobody is going to starve. Supplies/goods are still going through the borders of every country (even the ones in lockdown).

It’s all caused by people hoarding and taking everything off the shelves for some imaginary apocalypse that doesn’t (and will not) exist. Too many muppets listening to other muppets on social media is what is causing it all. They think the world will end if 5% of our population die from this. It won’t.

All it shows is how terrible people are with logic and reasoning. They cannot think for themselves.
Straycat196720/03/2020 23:21

Don't get me wrong, total admiration for those out in the so called firing …Don't get me wrong, total admiration for those out in the so called firing line! It's the uncovered truths which pee me off mate!

How do you know that they are "uncovered truths"? Sounds a bit conspiracy theory like.
Straycat196720/03/2020 23:26

Sorry but posts like this is me speaking my mind on how I feel we are not …Sorry but posts like this is me speaking my mind on how I feel we are not being told ALL the truth. You summed it up, shelf stripping etc.... but this does not help 90% of people who are not prepared to queue when we are told not to go out where their are masses of people. To me it's a contradiction by the govt to on one hand don't go to pubs, gyms etc... yet it's okay to queue with hundreds outside a supermarket. My point of thinking originally is why are our selves void of fruit n veg (perishable item/use within a few days). I get the bread, milk, tins etc because people can store or freeze..but fruit n veg? That's where the whole broken supply chain of imports might be playing a part.

There is no conspiracy. The only thing that’s happening here is you cannot bring yourself to accept that a lot of the people around you are selfish a-holes.
Mate works for Sainsbury’s deliveries. He’s a truck driver. There’s plenty in stock just can’t fill the due to the greed of some people.
xenophon20/03/2020 23:30

How do you know that they are "uncovered truths"? Sounds a bit conspiracy …How do you know that they are "uncovered truths"? Sounds a bit conspiracy theory like.

Purely on the basis BJ says the supply chain is not broken, I know from my own local supermarkets not ALL basic essentials are being restocked each morning. I understand there is an over demand at present but we do rely heavily on imports and when you are seeing basic fruit n veg not replenished on a day by day basis doesnt it make you wonder why?

Ocada took the right approach with their online ordering, took themselves out of the picture until they could cope in a productive manner. The likes of Asda, Tesco, Sainburys etc.. may as well do the same, impossible to get delivery slots and even if you do get one, inventories are mainly based on local store so most items ordered are amended as OOS. So why bother having an online ordering system if you can't commit to filling the orders. Go offline for a few days, so out your logistics then come back to us.
Edited by: "Straycat1967" 20th Mar
Depends where u go.
Fresh isn't a problem here, the tins, paper products and frozen are decimated.
Might be the time of day or just lucky. (Rationing might feed into mix too)
Misslovely20/03/2020 23:24

Yea there is shortage because eu borders are closed.Spoke to a milkman who …Yea there is shortage because eu borders are closed.Spoke to a milkman who does deliveries and he says it’s mental and a little shortage already

Goods can still flow through.
Straycat196720/03/2020 23:35

Purely on the basis BJ says the supply chain is not broken, I know from my …Purely on the basis BJ says the supply chain is not broken, I know from my own local supermarkets not ALL basic essentials are being restocked each morning. I understand there is an over demand at present but we do really heavily on imports and when you are seeing basic fruit n veg not replenished on a day by day basis doesnt it make you wonder why? Ocada took the right approach with their online ordering, took themselves out of the picture until they could cope in a productive manner. The likes of Asda, Tesco, Sainburys etc.. may as well do the same, impossible to get delivery slots and even if you do get one, inventories are mainly based on local store so most items ordered are amended as OOS. So why bother having an online ordering system if you can't commit to filling the orders. Go offline for a few days, so out your logistics then come back to us.

My local Tesco Express has plenty of fruit and veg, no shortage whatsoever. Pasta and rice have all gone though.
ChuckTheDuck20/03/2020 23:36

Depends where u go. Fresh isn't a problem here, the tins, paper products …Depends where u go. Fresh isn't a problem here, the tins, paper products and frozen are decimated. Might be the time of day or just lucky. (Rationing might feed into mix too)

I must live in a demographic of Vegetarians n Vegans then!
plebbygiraffe20/03/2020 23:37

Oh I thought closed means borders are closed. I wondered how ALDI and Lidl would cope, not to mention our fruit what gets imported
plebbygiraffe20/03/2020 23:37

Be interesting to know if they are still flowing in abundance as before though.
It`s about time the government got together with food suppliers to deliver a box of basic food essentials to every household in the uk .
The prevalence of obesity in the UK is at a all time high. Perhaps those hording are the ones that should take this opportunity to decrease their calorie intake.
Two weeks self isolation with 600 calories a day might help them in the long run.
Edited by: "Sammy86" 21st Mar
mikeportsmouth21/03/2020 06:12

It`s about time the government got together with food suppliers to deliver …It`s about time the government got together with food suppliers to deliver a box of basic food essentials to every household in the uk .

In a melting pot country like UK, the definition of basic essentials varies. This isn't a war, but a situation created by our own selfish hoarding. Let's not punish everyone because of the idiocy of a few.

If we go by the experience of other countries, things should settle down in the next couple of weeks. There is only so much people can hoard. And if anyone tries to return anything, the stores should refuse.

The government also could have moved sooner on relaxing some of the competition rules when panic hoarding had already started a week earlier. Sunday trading restrictions should also be relaxed so that there is no concentration of shoppers in a smaller window.
There is no shortage, only idiots
Just got back from Sainsbury, got everything I wanted. I know a school teacher who went out and bought a chest freezer for her garage and filled it with food. It's these people causing the problem. I live with my daughter and I am disabled, I am used to a low income, I batch cook and eat seasonally. At the moment my life hasn't changed at all, I've been in isolation for years
winzzz21/03/2020 07:24

There is no shortage, only idiots

Let me help you.

There is no shortage, onlyof idiots
Edited by: "Pandamansays" 21st Mar
discozohan20/03/2020 23:32

Mate works for Sainsbury’s deliveries. He’s a truck driver. There’s plenty …Mate works for Sainsbury’s deliveries. He’s a truck driver. There’s plenty in stock just can’t fill the due to the greed of some people.

Would agree with this, I work in an iceland distribution center, and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of stock, just staff as cant pick the orders quick enough, the volumes are bigger than Christmas. I wonder if it's going to be like this for months, hopefully things will calm down soon when people have nowhere left to stock their hoards and can get a little normality back in the supermarkets.
Misslovely20/03/2020 23:24

Yea there is shortage because eu borders are closed.Spoke to a milkman who …Yea there is shortage because eu borders are closed.Spoke to a milkman who does deliveries and he says it’s mental and a little shortage already

I suspect the milk comes from the UK and the cows won't all of a sudden stop producing milk etc.. People panic buying are the problem.
Sammy8621/03/2020 06:18

The prevalence of obesity in the UK is at a all time high. Perhaps those …The prevalence of obesity in the UK is at a all time high. Perhaps those hording are the ones that should take this opportunity to decrease their calorie intake.Two weeks self isolation with 600 calories a day might help them in the long run.

3 things likely - divorces, a baby boom and obesity.
Most stores quiet by lunchtime but shelves empty! Still oddments that can tick off list. (If the Jones don’t want it LOL)
Annoying have to do several trips where before 1 or 2.
Stores sometimes pull a pallet into an aisle in the daytime.
Phew are the idiots still panic buying. Sorry had to use that word because I've seen posts on social media with people's home's full of food in every room!
vixmony22/03/2020 07:38

Phew are the idiots still panic buying. Sorry had to use that word because …Phew are the idiots still panic buying. Sorry had to use that word because I've seen posts on social media with people's home's full of food in every room!

I have no idea TBH! Took a conscience decision to try online delivery ordering for now, would rather not mingle with the masses in the short term.

Re online deliver slots: Just keep looking in the early hours, you will find the odd slot for 14-21 days time if your super lucky! Alternatively look out the square with click n collect from various supermarkets, but you may have to change collect locations.
get a grip
If only people would stop panic buying as I'm sure there is enough for us all.
My local Asda has it all, baby milk powder, loo rolls, pasta, canned veg you name it even RICE!
40162786-nt5hV.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants