Groups
    EXPIRED

Food steamer suitable for a single person.

Does anyone know of a food steamer that is small enough for a single person? I have looked but they all seem to be too big. Thank you.

12 Comments

As a single person I find the bamboo type that sit on a pan easiest, takes up hardly any space when not using it. Although these days I've become lazy and bought the frozen veg portions in bags that you microwave, bamboo one only used now for stuff they don't do in those bags.

As you are probably aware OP finding even foods "for one" is a difficult task in itself

poing

As a single person I find the bamboo type that sit on a pan easiest, … As a single person I find the bamboo type that sit on a pan easiest, takes up hardly any space when not using it. Although these days I've become lazy and bought the frozen veg portions in bags that you microwave, bamboo one only used now for stuff they don't do in those bags.

I agree small bamboo one from a local Chinese supermarket would be best. Should be around £5-£6 with lid

Original Poster

I did think about a bamboo one but it is for my mother who is 70+ and I would prefer an electric one as I think it will be safer and easier for her to use.

A small rice cooker is the answer. As well as being able to cook rice, it also works fantastically as a steamer.

How long does it take to cook rice? Can you just shove in rice, sauce, peas and pork pieces to cook together?

I have started using steam bags that you use in micro and they work great. Dunhelm have them in different sizes. £1 for 30 small or 25 large.
    Edited by: "quine" 12th Dec 2014

Original Poster

quine

I have started using steam bags that you use in micro and they work … I have started using steam bags that you use in micro and they work great. Dunhelm have them in different sizes. £1 for 30 small or 25 large.

Lol! See you have changed it to Dunhelm instead of Dungeon! Unfortunately my mother doesn't have a microwave but I think I will give them a go as they seem to be a really good price.

Col67

Lol! See you have changed it to Dunhelm instead of Dungeon! Unfortunately … Lol! See you have changed it to Dunhelm instead of Dungeon! Unfortunately my mother doesn't have a microwave but I think I will give them a go as they seem to be a really good price.

Yeah that predictive text!

They sell those steam bags in Home Bargains as well. They have 2 types and different sizes. There's the microwave ones and they have bags that can be used in a conventional oven. They have vegetable bags and bigger ones for chicken.

clostridium_botulinum

A small rice cooker is the answer. As well as being able to cook rice, it … A small rice cooker is the answer. As well as being able to cook rice, it also works fantastically as a steamer.

I bought one recently for £10 from Lidls and it's still in the box. But I never thought about using it as a steamer. So thanks for that, I'm going to try that on Sunday. This is definitely the best answer and the safest way to cook.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xiaomi phones57
      2. Buying crypto currencies22
      3. Sky or virgin66
      4. Best graphics card between £100-£15022

See more discussions