Groups

Footage captures shooting of unarmed black man in Oklahoma

Banned
    Authorities in the US state of Oklahoma say a black man fatally shot by police last week, was unarmed.
    The Police chief in the city of Tulsa, where the shooting took place, says no weapons were found on 40-year-old Terence Crutcher when he was killed last Friday. Investigators say Crutcher was approached by officers who were probing a vehicle when he was shot. Crutcher's family is calling for a federal investigation and criminal charges against the officers. The incident comes amid a spike in police shootings, primarily targeting African Americans across the country.

17 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Examine the footage carefully and read the comments. If a suspect ignores the instructions, and warnings of an armed Police Officer, then attempts to reach down (at the scene of the car) whether armed or not, that individual will be deemed as having an intent (to cause injury or harm). Thus the Officer for his safety has no option to protect themselves must use lethal force. The procedure is similar in this country with our armed Police.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 22nd Sep 2016

The incident comes amid a spike in police shootings, primarily targeting … The incident comes amid a spike in police shootings, primarily targeting African Americans across the country.

I find that a rediculous and inflammatory comment by LiveLeak. It makes it sound like the US police are specifically hunting down black people to kill.

Final total of people killed by US police officers in 2015 shows rate of death for young black men was five times higher than white men of the same age.
    May seems to suggest something ridiculous and inflammatory (though unsure whether police, society or victim or all?)
    theguardian.com/us-…men

splender

Final total of people killed by US police officers in 2015 shows rate of … Final total of people killed by US police officers in 2015 shows rate of death for young black men was five times higher than white men of the same age.May seems to suggest something ridiculous and inflammatory (though unsure whether police, society or victim or all?)https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

i suspect there will be similar figures for those eaten by lions...

splender

Final total of people killed by US police officers in 2015 shows rate of … Final total of people killed by US police officers in 2015 shows rate of death for young black men was five times higher than white men of the same age.May seems to suggest something ridiculous and inflammatory (though unsure whether police, society or victim or all?)https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

It's not difficult ....."typically more black men and women are shot and killed by police as black Americans commit more violent crime is rough area's".

nemesis is wrong,I agree the suspect should have followed police instructions instead of walking to the car and looking like he was reaching inside the car,but as there was clearly no weapon on display why was he not tazered 1 or 2 times as for U.K. Police no they do not use deadly force without due reason,that is why the Tazer is issued,look at the statistics of Police actually firing a gun or killing through a gun and it is extremely rare and yes we have a lot of bad people here but Police must show restraint unless it is obviously life threatening

OP knows what type of responses they'll get here by posting that. I don't blame them but if they were expecting a nuanced debate about the socio-economic conditions that black people in America live in and the cultural hangover from centuries of oppression of certain groups....nah.

Invariably, no matter what the video shows, he had it coming. Rinse, repeat.

I think these videos give people a sense of detachment, as does internet anonymity, such that we should remind ourselves that these are human beings. They're not actors, they're not videogame sprites, they're people who will have a mother grieving over them and possibly a child who won't get to hug their dad again.

bavis1

nemesis is wrong,I agree the suspect should have followed police … nemesis is wrong,I agree the suspect should have followed police instructions instead of walking to the car and looking like he was reaching inside the car,but as there was clearly no weapon on display why was he not tazered 1 or 2 times as for U.K. Police no they do not use deadly force without due reason,that is why the Tazer is issued,look at the statistics of Police actually firing a gun or killing through a gun and it is extremely rare and yes we have a lot of bad people here but Police must show restraint unless it is obviously life threatening

for some reason i can't clearly hear the commands due to sirens and radio chatter, but all in all, procedure from armed police seems very poor, like the forming of a "wall" between the nearest car cam and why four officers need to be pointing guns, why has not one or two drawn tasers after the first two covered with firearms... all seems very messy.

nemesiz

Examine the footage carefully and read the comments. If a suspect ignores … Examine the footage carefully and read the comments. If a suspect ignores the instructions, and warnings of an armed Police Officer, then attempts to reach down (at the scene of the car) whether armed or not, that individual will be deemed as having an intent (to cause injury or harm). Thus the Officer for his safety has no option to protect themselves must use lethal force. The procedure is similar in this country with our armed Police.

I have no issues with the above and the actual shooting procedure

What I have issues with are
    1 - the number of shots fired. In one recent shooting (can't remember and haven't checked if it's this one) 16 rounds were shot at one suspect. Now if you (as a law enforcement) feel that your life is in danger and you cannot disarm or render a suspect incapacitated with one or two rounds then you shouldn't be law enforcement.

2 - After shooting a suspect your job is not done - you should ensure the suspect is treated medically and lawfully humanely. You are not judge, jury and executioner. If it was the same story this man bled out for a good few minutes (probably whilst the cops were getting their story together).

Predikuesi

I find that a rediculous and inflammatory comment by LiveLeak. It makes … I find that a rediculous and inflammatory comment by LiveLeak. It makes it sound like the US police are specifically hunting down black people to kill.

It isn't Liveleak that puts that message. It's either the media source or the poster of that media source.

splender

Then put that figure into context and look at the figures for black on black homicide

More black African Americans are killed by black African Americans than any other race/ethnic group

But when innocent children are gunned down in gang related tit for tat do we here #BLM rioting and looting because of this? When a young child is hit by a stray bullet fired into the family home through the window do we here #BLM rioting and looting because of this?

The main problem I see in many of those "shootings" is black African Americans not following simple commands / resisting arrest. And in most instances they or their family members say "He didn't do nothing" or He was a good boy" yet evidence proves that those facts are untrue.

Edited by: "philphil61" 22nd Sep 2016

We are now at a stage where there is more sympathy for a cat stuck on a tree than another black guy being gunned down by a cop in the USA

Just one more black African American who I'd like to shake his hand and thank him and if I could - take his parents out for a meal or something as a thank you.
    ***Contains some swearing*** but I think most of it is used in a good manner for expression
    That Guy T - #BlackLivesMatter: I'm sick of you .........

philphil61

Just one more black African American who I'd like to shake his hand and … Just one more black African American who I'd like to shake his hand and thank him and if I could - take his parents out for a meal or something as a thank you.***Contains some swearing*** but I think most of it is used in a good manner for expression That Guy T - #BlackLivesMatter: I'm sick of you .........

Are you a fan of Milo or Breitbart?

This was a bad kill, I don't think anyone can deny that

nemesis is wrong,I agree the suspect should have followed police … nemesis is wrong,I agree the suspect should have followed police instructions instead of walking to the car and looking like he was reaching inside the car,but as there was clearly no weapon on display why was he not tazered 1 or 2 times as for U.K. Police no they do not use deadly force without due reason,that is why the Tazer is issued,look at the statistics of Police actually firing a gun or killing through a gun and it is extremely rare and yes we have a lot of bad people here but Police must show restraint unless it is obviously life threatening

In the UK Tasers until quite recently were only trialed in certain forces, initially with Firearms Officers testing the equipment. It is only recently adopted by 43 Polices Forces. Only Officers that are trained to handle and use a Taser can carry the equipment as it's not standard issue.

Unfortunately don't know the procedures for each US State. Although if the Tasers were available wouldn't those officers used more appropriate force? Also like the UK Forces have strict procedures when not only death occurs in their custody, but also when lethal force is used or authorized. The Independent Police Complaints Commission are requested to automatically investigate whether excessive or acceptable force was used by Firearms Officers in this instance.

What I have issues with are1 - the number of shots fired. In one recent … What I have issues with are1 - the number of shots fired. In one recent shooting (can't remember and haven't checked if it's this one) 16 rounds were shot at one suspect. Now if you (as a law enforcement) feel that your life is in danger and you cannot disarm or render a suspect incapacitated with one or two rounds then you shouldn't be law enforcement.

Are you referring to the Jean Charles de Menezes or Mark Duggan case? Both cases highlight the arguments and discussions of whether lethal force should be used by specially trained firearm officers.

A thorough and detailed interview by an-ex Firearms Officer after the Mark Duggan affair can be found here. Also Wikipedia has a detailed explanation about Armed Response Teams, discussing the use of force.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 22nd Sep 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions