Football Association offered £800m to sell national football stadium

Found 26th Apr
The Football Association has received an offer, thought to be worth £800m, to sell Wembley Stadium.

Shahid Khan, the owner of Fulham and NFL team Jacksonville Jaguars, is the prospective buyer.

It is understood the approach includes £500m for the stadium and £300m for the FA to keep the Club Wembley debenture and hospitality business.

NFL executive vice-president Mark Waller said having stadium options in London has been "critical to the NFL".

His statement added: "The potential purchase of Wembley Stadium is a further powerful sign of their commitment to the UK and their vision to help us grow the sport.

"This new relationship would allow for even greater flexibility in scheduling future NFL games in London."

The matter was discussed at an FA board meeting on Thursday.

The 90,000-seat stadium, which is the largest in the United Kingdom, cost £757m to build and opened in 2007.

Tottenham have played their home Premier League games at Wembley this season while work on their new stadium takes place.

Spurs also have a deal with the NFL to stage a minimum of two games a season over 10 years once the new stadium is complete.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said the link-up with the NFL was a "compelling and exciting partnership".

bbc.co.uk/spo…272
Community Updates
Misc
13 Comments
It would be pretty crap for the FA, the wealthiest national football association in the world, to sell the national stadium in my opinion. Selling what many would consider part of a national identity in terms of the sport for short term gains I doubt would sit well with many England fans.
It was always a poor idea to have it at the same location as the old one, and people will tell you that it is difficult to travel in and out and lacks atmosphere.

The millennium Stadium is a much better stadium imo.
The FA should bite their hands off and plan a proper national stadium.
So, are they offering 500million for the stadium which cost 757million to build some 10 years ago. I hadn’t realised London property prices had fallen by 1/3rd
Chiptivo11 m ago

It was always a poor idea to have it at the same location as the old one, …It was always a poor idea to have it at the same location as the old one, and people will tell you that it is difficult to travel in and out and lacks atmosphere. The millennium Stadium is a much better stadium imo. The FA should bite their hands off and plan a proper national stadium.

I think that the plan would be to still play home games - as well as domestic cup finals - at Wembley, so building another national stadium appears to be out of the question - especially considering the spiralling costs of Wembley throughout its development. I think the FA want to wash their hands of it.

Taken from The Guardian

"Khan stressed that Wembley would remain “home to the England national teams” and that Fulham would stay at Craven Cottage in a message to the club’s fans. “The Football Association would be able to focus on its core mission of developing players with the best player developers and facilities anywhere in the game, thanks in part to the vast financial benefit that would result from the transaction,” he said.

“I trust many, if not most of you, are also supporters of the England national teams, so I hope you welcome the potential of this becoming a reality. Always know Wembley would be home to the England national teams, and that we would strive every day of the year to be the best possible steward for a venue that is iconic and beloved here and throughout the world."
Edited by: "RossD89" 26th Apr
RossD8953 m ago

I think that the plan would be to still play home games - as well as …I think that the plan would be to still play home games - as well as domestic cup finals - at Wembley, so building another national stadium appears to be out of the question - especially considering the spiralling costs of Wembley throughout its development. I think the FA want to wash their hands of it.Taken from The Guardian"Khan stressed that Wembley would remain “home to the England national teams” and that Fulham would stay at Craven Cottage in a message to the club’s fans. “The Football Association would be able to focus on its core mission of developing players with the best player developers and facilities anywhere in the game, thanks in part to the vast financial benefit that would result from the transaction,” he said.“I trust many, if not most of you, are also supporters of the England national teams, so I hope you welcome the potential of this becoming a reality. Always know Wembley would be home to the England national teams, and that we would strive every day of the year to be the best possible steward for a venue that is iconic and beloved here and throughout the world."

if this were true he'd simply hire the stadium when he wanted to showcase NFL games rather than buy it.
davewave16 m ago

if this were true he'd simply hire the stadium when he wanted to showcase …if this were true he'd simply hire the stadium when he wanted to showcase NFL games rather than buy it.

He already has an agreement in place with the FA for his NFL franchise the Jacksonville Jaguars to play at Wembley. According to a statement he released on Fulham's website his plan is to buy the stadium so that other franchises cannot use the venue to host their own games and to strengthen the Jacksonville Jaguar's profile in London.

"As you likely know, in addition to the privilege of serving as Chairman of Fulham Football Club, I am also owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the U.S. The Jaguars have played regular season home games at Wembley Stadium in each of the past five NFL seasons and will continue to do so at least through the 2020 season. The games the Jaguars play at Wembley are essential to the financial stability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville, which is one of the smallest markets in the NFL. If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars’ position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville."
Edited by: "RossD89" 26th Apr
RossD8938 m ago

He already has an agreement in place with the FA for his NFL franchise the …He already has an agreement in place with the FA for his NFL franchise the Jacksonville Jaguars to play at Wembley. According to a statement he released on Fulham's website his plan is to buy the stadium so that other franchises cannot use the venue to host their own games and to strengthen the Jacksonville Jaguar's profile in London."As you likely know, in addition to the privilege of serving as Chairman of Fulham Football Club, I am also owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the U.S. The Jaguars have played regular season home games at Wembley Stadium in each of the past five NFL seasons and will continue to do so at least through the 2020 season. The games the Jaguars play at Wembley are essential to the financial stability of the Jaguars in Jacksonville, which is one of the smallest markets in the NFL. If my ownership interests were to include Wembley Stadium, it would protect the Jaguars’ position in London at a time when other NFL teams are understandably becoming more interested in this great city. And the stronger the Jaguars are in London, the more stable and promising the Jaguars’ future will be in Jacksonville."

Seems his move is not in the spirit that the FA was set up in.
davewave30 m ago

Seems his move is not in the spirit that the FA was set up in.

And what spirit was that? I always thought that the FA's function was to operate a closed shop and make sure that the big money went to the club owners. Did you think it was something more altruistic?
Stop whinging about ur national stadium u could have hampden Park which cost £56m and a crap atmosphere
Scotland131435 m ago

Stop whinging about ur national stadium u could have hampden Park which …Stop whinging about ur national stadium u could have hampden Park which cost £56m and a crap atmosphere

You get to watch more entertaining football though.

Jokes aside - if the sale goes through then England won't have a national stadium, so....
RossD8926th Apr

It would be pretty crap for the FA, the wealthiest national football …It would be pretty crap for the FA, the wealthiest national football association in the world, to sell the national stadium in my opinion. Selling what many would consider part of a national identity in terms of the sport for short term gains I doubt would sit well with many England fans.

Its far too good a stadium for the England team, somewhere more fitting would be a pitch where a Sunday league pub team play, somewhere in the midlands so its easy to get to and Ideally with patchy grass, broken bottles of blue wkd and numerous dog eggs to truly reflect how pizz poor the England team are.

It should be sold to the highest bidder asap.
DKLS3 h, 1 m ago

Its far too good a stadium for the England team, somewhere more fitting …Its far too good a stadium for the England team, somewhere more fitting would be a pitch where a Sunday league pub team play, somewhere in the midlands so its easy to get to and Ideally with patchy grass, broken bottles of blue wkd and numerous dog eggs to truly reflect how pizz poor the England team are.It should be sold to the highest bidder asap.

Welcome to the hyperbole...
RossD8910 h, 31 m ago

Welcome to the hyperbole...

A bit like when the england team say they are going to win the world cup this time ?

They have got the under promise and over deliver the wrong way round for decades.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants