For sale sign removal.

Posted 25th Jul
Anyone notice if for sale signs are being collected?
It’s been a few week and no one has collected ours.
I’m going to ring the estate agents next week but just wondered if they are back at work.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If you've brought then property then just skip it
I honestly thought this would have been a Mutley question.
Stick it outside their shop.
37 Comments
ndyanem25/07/2020 21:09

Awesome attitude
Yeah - as above. They didn’t want it back and we put ours in the skip. This was in January way before the Covid situation.
Purchased several properties over the last few years and they have never been collected.
Binned mine many years ago...waited a month or so and then chopped it up...seems to be the norm with estate agents, they use it as free advertising after property is sold...
Reuse the wood it should be long enough for a washing pole... or at least ur new fire pit..

It’s part of the seller fees I’m sure one estate agent wanted £50 for one when we were selling up.
I honestly thought this would have been a Mutley question.
Stick it outside their shop.
I’ve seen vans with different for sale signs on the roof. I assumed they recycled them. They really ought to. No reason not to.
joxeruk200025/07/2020 21:51

I’ve seen vans with different for sale signs on the roof. I assumed they r …I’ve seen vans with different for sale signs on the roof. I assumed they recycled them. They really ought to. No reason not to.

The thing is, there are multiple angles to this. The estate agents wants a nice new sign up every time so it attracts buyers and looks professional. The vendor wants a new sign up for the same reasons, but also a battered sign makes it looks like the property has been up for sale for a while and could put people off viewing so they too want a new sign. Prospective buyers see a battered sign leaning over in the same way they see an unkept garden, no one cares about the property. Paying signage companies to collect a damaged or faded sign is uneconomical and would just be added to the estate agent fees. There really is no valid commercial reason to reuse them and I know you mean well about recycling but some things just can’t be done, the environment impact of the van coming to collect it would outweigh the benefits of reusing it.
They like to have sold signs around the neighbourhood, makes them look good.
I'm amazed people even notice signs anymore. I thought they were only useful for neighbours seeing how much next door reckon their house was worth.
They’re slow to collect them as it’s advertising for them, just take it down and lay it on the front, tell them you’ve taken it down and you want it collected ASAP or will skip it.
ArcadeAssassin25/07/2020 22:10

The thing is, there are multiple angles to this. The estate agents wants a …The thing is, there are multiple angles to this. The estate agents wants a nice new sign up every time so it attracts buyers and looks professional. The vendor wants a new sign up for the same reasons, but also a battered sign makes it looks like the property has been up for sale for a while and could put people off viewing so they too want a new sign. Prospective buyers see a battered sign leaning over in the same way they see an unkept garden, no one cares about the property. Paying signage companies to collect a damaged or faded sign is uneconomical and would just be added to the estate agent fees. There really is no valid commercial reason to reuse them and I know you mean well about recycling but some things just can’t be done, the environment impact of the van coming to collect it would outweigh the benefits of reusing it.

You raise some good points.
i have always had to call the estate agent to ask for the sign to be removed. they never do it themselves, the lazy so and so.
Just say you will invoice them for removal costs. Worked for me
Ive been here since the 21st of Feb since we moved it. its not in the garage. i swear they dont care
Did someone mentioned that it's included in their fees? So it's been paid for and maybe they expect the buyer to get rid of?
really ?its a sign,if you have an issue take it down and leave it at the side of your house it wont be yours for too much longer.
madoka_ayukawa26/07/2020 00:21

Did someone mentioned that it's included in their fees? So it's been paid …Did someone mentioned that it's included in their fees? So it's been paid for and maybe they expect the buyer to get rid of?

no, the sign remain the property of the estate agent, but they don't bother removing them until you call them and ask for it to be removed. i often have to ask them twice before they will do so. they like to leave it there for as long as possible as it is free advertising for them, and it is not them that collects it, but a third party that does.
themorgatron25/07/2020 22:21

I'm amazed people even notice signs anymore. I thought they were only …I'm amazed people even notice signs anymore. I thought they were only useful for neighbours seeing how much next door reckon their house was worth.

Your house gets valued by the estate agent you don’t do it yourself.
Pandamansays25/07/2020 22:16

They like to have sold signs around the neighbourhood, makes them look …They like to have sold signs around the neighbourhood, makes them look good.

This is what I have always assumed - advertises the fact they can sell.
Lived in three "sold" properties and they have never come to remove the sign.
They all use a company for sign boards. Ring your agent up to get rid.
They have been working in the lockdown because they came to change my logo signboard

They use them to reuse in another house
winzzz26/07/2020 07:27

Your house gets valued by the estate agent you don’t do it yourself.

I'm fairly sure anyone with half a brain will already know what their house is worth, and not be relying on the word of an estate agent.
themorgatron26/07/2020 09:52

I'm fairly sure anyone with half a brain will already know what their …I'm fairly sure anyone with half a brain will already know what their house is worth, and not be relying on the word of an estate agent.

this is not true. property value changes very quickly, so what your house is worth today, can be very different to how much it was worth 6 months ago, or 6 months from now.

only an estate agent can tell you its true value at any particular point in time as they know the market. and even then it is only a best guesstimate as a property is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
joxeruk200025/07/2020 21:51

I’ve seen vans with different for sale signs on the roof. I assumed they r …I’ve seen vans with different for sale signs on the roof. I assumed they recycled them. They really ought to. No reason not to.

Estate agents don't fit the signs or remove them they use a sign company who does work for different agents.

The van you had seen was one going around fitting them.

In responce from the op I would take it down, send them an email to advise they have 28 days to collect or it will be recycled.
deleted1451412
markvirgo26/07/2020 13:22

Estate agents don't fit the signs or remove them they use a sign company …Estate agents don't fit the signs or remove them they use a sign company who does work for different agents.The van you had seen was one going around fitting them. In responce from the op I would take it down, send them an email to advise they have 28 days to collect or it will be recycled.

Agree very sensible answer. I’d give them a week or if it really winds you up deliver it back to them. People don’t just bin it. The agents may genuinely not know it’s still there. As above. They contact a different business to erect and install the signs and the signs aren’t overly cheap so wouldn’t want them destroyed. Just remember whatever you think about estate agents they’ve had a pretty ruff time with brexit and covid.
ndyanem25/07/2020 21:09

I suggest you take it down & place it out of the way & give them a chance to remove it with 30 days notice.

It is the property of the agent & in their terms will be that fact.
I’ve taken it down just now. It’s got a huge metal bracket too. Very heavy. Worth something for scrap I expect. I’ve placed them at the side of the house for collection or disposal, depending on what the estate agent says.
joxeruk200026/07/2020 16:45

I’ve taken it down just now. It’s got a huge metal bracket too. Very hea …I’ve taken it down just now. It’s got a huge metal bracket too. Very heavy. Worth something for scrap I expect. I’ve placed them at the side of the house for collection or disposal, depending on what the estate agent says.

Just give them 30 days to remove in writing & then do whatever you want if they haven't picked it up. You will not get in any trouble that way.
Every house I've brought or family that have rented have always scrapped them. Your house becomes a free advertising board for estate agents. They're not interested in the sign or recycling them.
joxeruk200025/07/2020 22:41

You raise some good points.

Just been skimming through and read your comment. You make valid points but at the end of the day, the property in question bought is not the estate agents property anymore so if it bothered the home owner that much for it needed to be collected then is it not illegal to leave the sign up as it may be classed as tipping? (on the estate agent's behalf that is)
ndyanem26/07/2020 17:39

Every house I've brought or family that have rented have always scrapped …Every house I've brought or family that have rented have always scrapped them. Your house becomes a free advertising board for estate agents. They're not interested in the sign or recycling them.

Where are you bringing the houses from?
or do you mean bought ?
cainer127/07/2020 09:06

Where are you bringing the houses from?or do you mean bought ?

Oh I'm sorry my English is not that good but I'm sure people know what I meant
themorgatron25/07/2020 22:21

I'm amazed people even notice signs anymore. I thought they were only …I'm amazed people even notice signs anymore. I thought they were only useful for neighbours seeing how much next door reckon their house was worth.

They're also useful for people who like to have a drive round areas they would like to live to see what's available.
veedubjai27/07/2020 22:19

we had a for sale sign stuck outside our house by mistake! my tenants came home one day and called me to say that there is a for sale sign outside our house and wanted to check we haven't put the house on sale without telling them!

turns out the idiotic estate agents had put the sign on the wrong house!
Post a comment
@
    Text