Groups

For the kitchen floor: Tiles or Vinyl?

Mrs Bloke says I can't put off doing the kitchen any longer, so it's now on order.

What we can't decide is whether to put vinyl on the floor, or porcelain tiles.

Vinyl is relatively easy and cheaper, plus we can do that after the units are in.

The downside is that vinyl could be damaged by stuff being dragged across it, knives being dropped, etc.

Tiles are nice to look at and hard wearing. They're a bit more expensive and need to go in before the units for best effect.

What I don't know is how easily they are damaged - dropping bottles and the like, and how good they are to live with.

Have any HUKD-ers put down tiles in a kitchen? Was it a great idea or would you go back to Vinyl if you could?

Thanks for your views and advice.

22 Comments

vinyl, 7" or 12"

I have tiles, and yes they look nice and are hard wearing, but my god are they cold!!!!!!
    I think if I had my time again I would 100% have gone for underfloor heating!!!
    So if thats not an option then vinyl sounds good!! Plus you can get some lovely ones now.
    Have you considered aqua loc, its laminate that looks like tiles, very nice. I have it in my bathroom

this is the stuff above post has got i have it in kitchen and bathroom
    easy put down had it about 4yr still looks brand new cleans very easy very happy
    diy.com/diy…lse

What sort of floor is it? wood or solid?
    We have tiles on underfloor heating and they are great. Easy to clean, hardwearing, look good after 6 years of hard wear. Tiles go down easy on solid floors but can move a bit on wood unless it is hardboarded out etc.

We had Travetine Tiles put down, thankfully with underfloor heating, cos boy do they get cold. Only problem is the cost of the underfloor heating, we can only afford to run it in the most extreme weather. I would go for the Floorloc system as already recommended or a good quality vinyl if I had to choose again.

Go for some Karndean

rchan

Go for some Karndean

This is good stuff but you will pay more to fit it than the cost per sqmetre.

I have had a good quality vinyl in my kitchen for 20yrs. No faiding, still looks good. Odd dint from knives etc but not noticable. Dragging wahing machine our etc.....just make sure old cloth on the floor and no damgage.

We are about to change, only because re-doing kitchen soon. Have been warned AGAINST laminates for a kitchen area....really thinking about good vinyls again

ive got cream tiles on my kitchen floor yes they look stunning , but they are cold, and get dirty really quick, and the grouting looks grubby about a few washes so its a job with bleach and scrubbing brush every few months, and if the smallest thing drops on them they crack

I'd go for tiles as they do look nicer and will last longer, plus if you are going to sell your house on then it will no doubt increase the value.
    If you can't afford underfloor heating look into little electric heaters which go into the base of the kitchen cabinets, you hardly notice them, they are pretty efficient as you only turn them on when you need a burst of heat and it would be a very good compromise.

rchan

Go for some Karndean

We've got Kardean (Hall, passage, downstairs bog and kitchen) and it does pick up the odd scratch but its much warmer than tiles and very hard wearing.

Original Poster

Thanks all and each.

The floor is concrete and there's no scope for underfloor heating, so I think it's gonna be either vinyl or Karndean.

vinyls cheap and easy to lay and can look nice , ether way the floors going to be cold

get tiles and don't go barefoot into the kitchen - jobs a good un

Banned

tiles every time. Look far nicer and very hardwearing and easy to clean.

also, you can put them down after as the unit kick boards should just come off so tile just under the edges.

Be careful putting them under appliances as you may find the appliance will no longer fit under the worktops!

I dont find them cold either! Then again, I wear slippers as think its a bit weird walking around a kitchen in bare feet lol
    Edited by: "csiman" 6th Apr 2011

not as hard wearing though i have vinyl but if i could afford would have tiles which would last much much longer and probably cheaper in the long run as you wont have to replace so often.

brock101

vinyls cheap and easy to lay and can look nice , ether way the floors … vinyls cheap and easy to lay and can look nice , ether way the floors going to be cold

I had tiles down for 12 months and went back to vinyl. They were cold got really dirty and never seemed to be cleaned properly,always looked dirty. The vinyl is great and you can afford to change it if it does get damaged.

Get tiles with underfloor heating

Bring back Lino that's what I say X)
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_y9TyYzixPJg/TX1zjVtibgI/AAAAAAAAGYs/hILwucX4g3A/s400/DSC03922.JPG

This thread is from 2011

Pandamansays

This thread is from 2011

2011 AD

themachman

I had tiles down for 12 months and went back to vinyl. They were cold got … I had tiles down for 12 months and went back to vinyl. They were cold got really dirty and never seemed to be cleaned properly,always looked dirty. The vinyl is great and you can afford to change it if it does get damaged.

I'm sure the choice was made 6 years ago.

I'd go for lino stuff anyway, the council place i was raised in had tiles in every room, very cold to walk on in bare feet, if you dropped something heavy bam smashed tiles, very slippery when wet too.

can people stop reviving these old query threads? i feel a right plonker replying to them because i did not realise how old they are! stop it people!!!!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 8914
      2. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2458
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?24104
      4. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2849

See more discussions