Expired

For those just taken LIFE sim cards BEWARE!!!

Found 12th Jun 2016
BEWARE!!!

Having just received a sim and had a quick look at the usage on the website, it appears that they take into account ANY data used regardless of whether its over the network OR your house WiFi. I can be 100% sure that i am correct as the sim is for my sons phone and he has only used it in the house since the sim card was activated and we cannot get any mobile signal indoors let alone enough to use the internet oh and the obvious fact that its connected to my WiFi.

I have just sent them an email asking why and will update when i have an answer.

1. Misc
  2. Card
  3. Sim
76 Comments

Banned

Nah

Your son probably had his data switch turned on & his phone selected that as preference

That doesn't sound right. The SIM card literally has no way of telling how much data was sent/received via your home WiFi, unless you have some sort of LIFE Mobile Android/iOS app installed that reports that info back to them.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 12th Jun 2016

Rubbish.

Definitely incorrect. Check data usage on his phone, you should be able to see a breakdown of usage per app and which apps are using background data.
Edited by: "DVS_Dee" 12th Jun 2016

Original Poster

So while i'm in the house i get NO mobile signal (Life use EE and i'm was with T-Mobile now EE) so i know for a fact that WiFi usage has been taken into account in the data usage.

most of the 350mb has been on you tube.

Oh and WiFi overrides ANY mobile signal.

Clear your facts dude.

Its probably some app that has enabled data. I had similar experience and was charged £2 everything for few seconds every Sunday for few weeks until I called Vodaphone and they switched off data.

having worked in a call centre myself...its customers like this that really annoy u have a clueless and blame the network

Switch the phones Wifi off and I bet I still connect via data.

Not true, I only use Wifi at home (data switched off) and have never been charged more than normal.

Sim can't reed WiFi data usage!

Is this a wifi assist issue?

You can find Wi-Fi Assist in settings under Settings - Mobile Data and then scroll right to the bottom of the screen, where you have the option to switch it off.
People with unlimited data plans can obviously carry on watching funny cat videos without having to worry.
Some people don't like Wi-Fi Assist at all.
Not everyone's against the feature - well, we could only find this one person but...
There's a similar feature on Android phones as well as various apps which force your device to switch from poor wi-fi signal to cellular data.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/CD1F/production/_85811525_wifi.jpg
Edited by: "davelfc" 13th Jun 2016

mclovin9091

Oh and WiFi overrides ANY mobile signal.

Depends on the settings of your phone.

Another in-factual statement from you.

Hmm my other half made a similar claim to OP recently, and she's on Life mobile too. Not had a chance to check her iPhone settings yet .

mudddy

Hmm my other half made a similar claim to OP recently, and she's on Life … Hmm my other half made a similar claim to OP recently, and she's on Life mobile too. Not had a chance to check her iPhone settings yet .

If you think about it, what you're saying is Life mobile are charging you for using Sky/BT/whoever's broadband service. Illegal and impossible.

funny, subbed

User error.

a lot of conspiracy theories here. here is what i suspect the problem is:

your son has been sneaking out his bedroom window every evening after bedtime to go and pork little Jenny from round the corner. they have been watching some naughty movies on his phone to get them in the mood. Clearly he can't admit to this as Jenny is a bit of a tubby so he finds it easier to blame LIFE mobile

Original Poster

Just to clarify, there is NO mobile signal in the house full stop, so unless he is climbing out his window that's not the problem.

WiFi assist may be on (will check later) but as mobile data is only there to help poor WiFi it can't be that due to the previously mentioned lack of signal.

Banned

mclovin9091

Just to clarify, there is NO mobile signal in the house full stop, so … Just to clarify, there is NO mobile signal in the house full stop, so unless he is climbing out his window that's not the problem.WiFi assist may be on (will check later) but as mobile data is only there to help poor WiFi it can't be that due to the previously mentioned lack of signal.

How could you honestly embarrass yourself sending them an email asking why you're being charged for using your home broadband.

They will think you are winding them up.

Banned

Seems you aren't the only person to question this, but as this post suggests it is YOUR SETTINGS.

There are numerous threads about people being charged (usually 31 per day) by O2 for data usage even though they are using wifi.

The problem here is that you will almost certainly have your cellular data turned on. Even if you are not using your phone, the cellular data can still run in the background as many apps will run or update in the background and overnight.

You can turn your wifi and cellular data on and you will get charged for data even if you are browsing the internet and using apps through wifi.

All phones are different but you can find your cellular data options in the settings. Disable cellular data to turn off the cellular data and allow you to run your phone only through wifi.

You cannot get refunded from O2 for these charges as it is the users fault for having their cellular data turned on.

The best thing the user can do to prevent being charged for data usage (and also to preserve battery life) is to have one or the other on. So if you at home and you have a wifi signal then use only wifi and keep the cellular data turned off. Or if you are at the shops and there is no wifi signal available then turn wifi off and turn cellular data on. It is common sense really but sometimes people do not understand that the phone will still run off both and not just to wifi until you turn cellular data off.

Edited by: "MrScotchBonnet" 13th Jun 2016

Original Poster

I went onto the Life website and was having a look round the my account area when I noticed the data usage.

So I don't see how I'm embarrassing myself.

I now kind of hope someone gets stung by this to prove the point, albeit only for a fiver (providing the cap is applied)

Original Poster

MrScotchBonnet

Seems you aren't the only person to question this, but as this post … Seems you aren't the only person to question this, but as this post suggests it is YOUR SETTINGS.There are numerous threads about people being charged (usually 31 per day) by O2 for data usage even though they are using wifi.The problem here is that you will almost certainly have your cellular data turned on. Even if you are not using your phone, the cellular data can still run in the background as many apps will run or update in the background and overnight.You can turn your wifi and cellular data on and you will get charged for data even if you are browsing the internet and using apps through wifi.All phones are different but you can find your cellular data options in the settings. Disable cellular data to turn off the cellular data and allow you to run your phone only through wifi.You cannot get refunded from O2 for these charges as it is the users fault for having their cellular data turned on.The best thing the user can do to prevent being charged for data usage (and also to preserve battery life) is to have one or the other on. So if you at home and you have a wifi signal then use only wifi and keep the cellular data turned off. Or if you are at the shops and there is no wifi signal available then turn wifi off and turn cellular data on. It is common sense really but sometimes people do not understand that the phone will still run off both and not just to wifi until you turn cellular data off.

​I appreciate the copy and paste however can you answer this;

How can the mobile data work in the background when there is no signal?

mclovin9091

So while i'm in the house i get NO mobile signal (Life use EE and i'm was … So while i'm in the house i get NO mobile signal (Life use EE and i'm was with T-Mobile now EE) so i know for a fact that WiFi usage has been taken into account in the data usage.most of the 350mb has been on you tube.Oh and WiFi overrides ANY mobile signal.

Just because YOU dont get any signal using Tmobile, it doesn't automatically mean your sons phone or Life sim won't!!!
Check your sons phone in different areas of the house & i'm almost certain you will find it is getting a signal somewhere, hence the mobile data charges!

Edited by: "amis1975" 13th Jun 2016

mclovin9091

​I appreciate the copy and paste however can you answer this;How can the m … ​I appreciate the copy and paste however can you answer this;How can the mobile data work in the background when there is no signal?

Mobile signal can come and go at times.
It fluctuates.
Some phones have better mobile reception than others.

Mobile networks only charge you for data that passes via their core network, through the billing systems and then on to the user.

NOT WIFI

Banned

mclovin9091

​I appreciate the copy and paste however can you answer this;How can the m … ​I appreciate the copy and paste however can you answer this;How can the mobile data work in the background when there is no signal?

Ok mate I think Ofcom themselves would tell you it must be your settings and you wouldn't believe them.

Anyway, it's very hard to keep track of mobile signal 24/7. You may find you get increased coverage at night time when you are asleep and it goes to work then. Bottom line is, it is YOUR SETTINGS.

mclovin9091

So just turn data off, check your data usage.

Watch a YouTube video. Check your data usage.

Now , I don't know how often usage updates, so take that into account, but before you've "proved" it can't be 4G, you need to conduct that test.

Feel free to report back.

I love threads like these when they pop up. The OP is always adamant that the rules of physics and logic don't apply and they are undeniably correct.

There is no way a sim card can charge you for wifi, it will be a setting on your phone and/or the constant connect/disconnect to the cellular network counting as data (although I would imagine it would take thousands of connects to amass a big amount)

Without a doubt you are NOT getting charged by Life Mobile for your home wifi

this happened with my sons phone and Vodafone, he used to sit in his room watching football matches etc thinking he was using WiFi unbeknownst to him his phone wasn't connecting to WiFi and ended up with £800 data bill as Vodafone told him his phone will always default to using the network which is what I guess has happened here.

u do realise your phone signal and data signal are not the same

Original Poster

niconelove

u do realise your phone signal and data signal are not the same

​Your not going to get data sent without a signal.

Original Poster

StevenBrown

I love threads like these when they pop up. The OP is always adamant that … I love threads like these when they pop up. The OP is always adamant that the rules of physics and logic don't apply and they are undeniably correct.There is no way a sim card can charge you for wifi, it will be a setting on your phone and/or the constant connect/disconnect to the cellular network counting as data (although I would imagine it would take thousands of connects to amass a big amount)Without a doubt you are NOT getting charged by Life Mobile for your home wifi

​Where do I say the sim card charges me?

You are correct in that I won't be getting charged by life for data usage on my BT broadband.

However it still doesn't negate the fact that I nor my son get any signal indoors, I have to be about 3m out my front or back door to get a weak-medium signal. Not tested his phone but I don't see the point as we are both on the EE network and have Moto Gs.

Again to clarify in the past couple of days my son used 350mb and life recon ALL of it was using the mobile network. That is facts taken by what I have seen on his phone and the life website.

I can argue all day because I know that is right, there may be settings in the phone that choose to use a strong mobile signal over a weak WiFi, but there is none that choose to use a non existent mobile signal over a strong WiFi signal. If he is not connected to the WiFi NO videos or internet will load and they either "time out" or state that there is no internet connection.

Aliens did it.

My wife and I are both on EE. In different parts of the house we get varying signal strengths.
Anything from none to 4 bars, 3G to 4G.

You have admitted to getting signal 3m outside your own door, so there is signal strength available. Your son's bedroom maybe a little better than the rest of the house. A place I used to work in was more or less underground. We didn't get any signal, however we noted that if we plugged our phones into charge or sat them on plug sockets we'd get texts. I suspect when he charges his phone, he may get a slightly better signal. Also depending on your broadband setup, he may not get a strong WiFi signal in his room.

Unless you 100% disable the data option or use the phone yourself and monitor it 100% of the time, you cannot categorically say he never gets any signal.

Banned

mclovin9091

​ I have to be about 3m out my front or back door to get a weak-medium s … ​ I have to be about 3m out my front or back door to get a weak-medium signal. Not tested his phone but I don't see the point as we are both on the EE network and have Moto Gs.

You are definitely winding us up please say yes oO

mclovin9091

​Where do I say the sim card charges me?You are correct in that I won't b … ​Where do I say the sim card charges me?You are correct in that I won't be getting charged by life for data usage on my BT broadband.However it still doesn't negate the fact that I nor my son get any signal indoors, I have to be about 3m out my front or back door to get a weak-medium signal. Not tested his phone but I don't see the point as we are both on the EE network and have Moto Gs.Again to clarify in the past couple of days my son used 350mb and life recon ALL of it was using the mobile network. That is facts taken by what I have seen on his phone and the life website.I can argue all day because I know that is right, there may be settings in the phone that choose to use a strong mobile signal over a weak WiFi, but there is none that choose to use a non existent mobile signal over a strong WiFi signal. If he is not connected to the WiFi NO videos or internet will load and they either "time out" or state that there is no internet connection.

Could be worth a try before you contact them. Different phones get signal in different ways and sometimes different places.

I used to be on giffgaff and tended to have a better signal in my house than the Mrs on o2. Same relationship as life and EE.

Sounds like he is getting signal somewhere. Disable all data settings and it won't happen again.

I'd be incredibly wary of Life Mobile as I've heard some terrible things about their business practices. Apparently they fit antennas up the backsides of the elderly to improve signal coverage around supermarkets (mainly around the Werther's Originals aisle). True story. Why do you think they shuffle?!?!?!?!?

One has to ask
https://67.media.tumblr.com/6acc13f9627292186bc8a4f23f5fa411/tumblr_no8966BdkC1u58bayo2_250.gif

We're all being trolled, this is surely a wind up.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions