for those not wanting windows10 upgrade another sneaky...

Found 14th Jan 2016
This is advice for those NOT wanting the windows 10 upgrade (for many reasons)
This latest automatic update listed as important/recommended and not 'optional'. It the latest sneaky attempt to force the win10 update wrapped up in another 11updates issued today, make sure you dont have autoupdates otherwise you know.
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)
Download size: 4.6 MB
Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
support.microsoft.com/kb/…664
this part is only after you check the full info:
"This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."

youtube.com/wat…z2M explains some of the sneak ways already installed on your PC
Community Updates
MiscWindows 10
51 Comments
An update was forced on me this morning. It wasn't Windows 10, I am still using 7. I was a bit miffed there was no warning though. Normally I get three warnings before it forces me to reboot.
ceres

You really should stop posting this nonsense. The update which you have … You really should stop posting this nonsense. The update which you have picked at random does not force anyone to have anything they do not want. It doesn't install Windows 10. It is not a Windows 10 update wrapped up in anything else. It merely makes changes to Windows 7 so that IF AND WHEN YOU CHOOSE to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade process is as smooth and troublefree as Microsoft can make it. That's a good thing.People need to keep their current version of Windows patched and uptodate. Warning them off updates which you clearly don't understand is not at all helpful.

what does it do then? or are you mad
"This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."
Edited by: "effingandjeffing" 14th Jan 2016
Why don't you want Win 10?
ceres

Read my post again - it tells you what it does. And haritori has also … Read my post again - it tells you what it does. And haritori has also explained it.

it is not listed as OPTIONAL so most will download and install this automatically. If they haven't upgraded to win10 this isn't the 1st time microsoft used this trick this cumulates the previous, SO desperate are they to get everyone on win10.
i actually do check what i'm downloading.
After that famous notice that popped up every hour with no other option than upgrade or hide
the other 11 updates are not related so should be downloaded
if you have upgraded then what are you moaning about really?
deleted57959

It doesn't force you to upgrade. it makes it easier if you choose too. … It doesn't force you to upgrade. it makes it easier if you choose too. its just Pre-installation files.

so any benefit for me or anyone else not wanting windows10?
none is the answer

Towelie

Why don't you want Win 10?

lots of security, privacy & compatibility concerns
effingandjeffing

lots of security, privacy & compatibility concerns

there has been a few hiccups but I actually prefer it to win 7 now
The lack of privacy is what seems to be the most concerning.

pass
trott3r

The lack of privacy is what seems to be the most concerning.pass

you've already paid for your version of windows(wether you wanted to or not)when you bought a computer, this is a way to further monetise your use. Your data in your private files or your usage stats is worth money / for use by govt.(here or abroad). push adverts , forced updates ,
win10 changes the terms and conditions for use giving microsoft and partners full access/ownership to all your files/folders
and mostly it's my choice
i dual boot linux / mint
wozukSilencer

there has been a few hiccups but I actually prefer it to win 7 now

You can change the privacy settings if you like though?

I'm still on Windows 7 on my desktop but want to update my tablet to Win 10 but most of/all of the privacy issues I have read about can be turned off.
ceres

You really don't understand this. I'll try again. It makes changes to … You really don't understand this. I'll try again. It makes changes to your current operating system (Windows 7) so that IF AND WHEN YOU CHOOSE to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade process will be as smooth and trouble-free as possible. It DOESN'T install Windows 10. It is NOT a sneaky way of installing or making you take Windows 10. You can choose not to have Windows 10. The update in question was classified as Recommended - the control is in your hands, you can choose to accept or reject Microsoft's recommendation.I'm on Windows 7. I don't have Windows 10. I do have update kb2952664 installed.

whatever update was installed last summer has attempted to install win10 at least 100times its in the update history.
THIS doesn't install win10 i'm not saying IT does. This DOES install the latest attempt to force you to in conjunction with all of last years attempts.
If you haven't/don't want to upgrade this 'update' is just malwale

SO: you use win7, you've rejected win10 all year
but you're happily downloading this to help you upgrade! great logic

Towelie

You can change the privacy settings if you like though?I'm still on … You can change the privacy settings if you like though?I'm still on Windows 7 on my desktop but want to update my tablet to Win 10 but most of/all of the privacy issues I have read about can be turned off.

not all of them.
isn't it a faff to have to search out and pick the good bad and ugly in something thats advertised as free and great
who the hell really has to time to bother? you just want your devices to work

effingandjeffing

not all of them.isn't it a faff to have to search out and pick the good … not all of them.isn't it a faff to have to search out and pick the good bad and ugly in something thats advertised as free and great who the hell really has to time to bother? you just want your devices to work

What can't be turned off then?

Not trying to cause an argument but generally interested as I'm about to upgrade myself and from the little I had read, it seemed you could overcome the privacy downfalls on data harvesting.

It is a bit of a faff agreed, but it's always expected that software nowadays is bundled with some sort of junk you don't really want. Give this is free it's to be expected even more so imo as all companies are out there to make money in one way or another.
a couple of apps installed and all done no tracking etc. no faffing around at all
I do seem to have a persistent Windows 10 icon in my system tray I can't just right click and close now.

I didn't have choice about installing this. It downloaded in the back ground and forced a restart as soon as I woke up laptop back up. I agree, that isn't very cool, at all.

However, the old notification kept crashing over and over again. So it did need some type of update. Shame it looks like I am going to have an annoying space wasting icon in the tray forever. But I do intend to at least try Windows 10 at some point soon. Mostly because people keep pestering me for help with it and it's getting annoying.
Edited by: "MSK." 14th Jan 2016
Towelie

What can't be turned off then?Not trying to cause an argument but … What can't be turned off then?Not trying to cause an argument but generally interested as I'm about to upgrade myself and from the little I had read, it seemed you could overcome the privacy downfalls on data harvesting.It is a bit of a faff agreed, but it's always expected that software nowadays is bundled with some sort of junk you don't really want. Give this is free it's to be expected even more so imo as all companies are out there to make money in one way or another.

here is a list of what you need to turn off. I have to rely on others for my information as i refuse to upgrade
you can do all this and it's still not as secure as win7
Microsoft Privacy Statement and the Services Agreement
ceres

I support an 87 year old user who has only ever used Windows 7 and as it … I support an 87 year old user who has only ever used Windows 7 and as it ain't currently broke, I'm not going to risk distressing them by fixing it. My set-up mirrors theirs so that I can troubleshoot if/when required. I will upgrade to Windows 10 at the earliest possible opportunity that doesn't upset that particular apple-cart. No paranoid conspiracy tin-foil hatttery here.

To be fair, yes it does. I have an annoying icon I can't dismiss now. But it isn't forcing me to do anything. Other than having that annoying icon.
Edited by: "MSK." 14th Jan 2016
effingandjeffing

This DOES install the latest attempt to force you to in conjunction with … This DOES install the latest attempt to force you to in conjunction with all of last years attempts.

effingandjeffing

SO: you use win7, you've rejected win10 all yearbut you're happily … SO: you use win7, you've rejected win10 all yearbut you're happily downloading this to help you upgrade! great logic

you are quite abusive. but I suppose that's your view
moneysavingkitten

To be fair, yes it does.

moneysavingkitten

But it isn't forcing me to do anything.

So we are in agreement then?
moneysavingkitten

To be fair, yes it does. I have an annoying icon I can't dismiss now. … To be fair, yes it does. I have an annoying icon I can't dismiss now. But it isn't forcing me to do anything. Other than having that annoying icon.

if its just annoying you looking at it , download gwx control panel and you can hide it
wozukSilencer

if its just annoying you looking at it , download gwx control panel and … if its just annoying you looking at it , download gwx control panel and you can hide it

Thanks, I'll look into that.
moneysavingkitten

if its just annoying you looking at it , download gwx control panel and … if its just annoying you looking at it , download gwx control panel and you can hide it

Thanks, I'll look into that.[/quote]

also turn off automatic updates so you can review updates before they install

effingandjeffing

Thanks, I'll look into that.[/quote]also turn off automatic updates so you can review updates before they install[/quote]

yeah you can just uninstall update KB3035583 and it should go but for some users it tends to pop back up which is probably automatic updates on
Edited by: "wozukSilencer" 14th Jan 2016
effingandjeffing

you are quite abusive. but I suppose that's your view

effingandjeffing

or are you mad

oh you sound quite mad, but abusive as well
wozukSilencer

also turn off automatic updates so you can review updates before they install[/quote]
yeah you can just uninstall update KB3035583 and it should go but for some users it tends to pop back up which is probably automatic updates on [/quote]

that's still not enough!
youtube.com/wat…z2M a five min vid explaining better than I can how actually hard this is, I recommend ceres watches it(altho I don't understand why she's constantly in this thread she loves win10 and this is for those that choose not to)

effingandjeffing

also turn off automatic updates so you can review updates before they … also turn off automatic updates so you can review updates before they install

yeah you can just uninstall update KB3035583 and it should go but for some users it tends to pop back up which is probably automatic updates on [/quote]
that's still not enough!youtube.com/wat…z2M[/quote]

yep gwx control panel to hide it is the only option really or just join all the cool kids on windows 10
Edited by: "wozukSilencer" 14th Jan 2016
On git hub you can download a script called "WindowsLies Blockwindows"
github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows/

it's a batch file for uninstall the telemetry updated, Deleting GWX.exe from system32 and hiding the updates from windows update. (The script is open source so anyone can read it before someone shouts backdoor or whatever) I've done this on all of my computers and turned windows update to notify only and I choose what to install after checking it out online.

**I did not write this script, I found it on a security website before someone jumps on me for it**
Protoype

On git hub you can download a script called "WindowsLies Blockwindows" … On git hub you can download a script called "WindowsLies Blockwindows" github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows/it's a batch file for uninstall the telemetry updated, Deleting GWX.exe from system32 and hiding the updates from windows update. (The script is open source so anyone can read it before someone shouts backdoor or whatever) I've done this on all of my computers and turned windows update to notify only and I choose what to install after checking it out online.**I did not write this script, I found it on a security website before someone jumps on me for it**

would you agree it is not a good idea to keep downloading these periodic windows auto updates pointing towards win10?
ceres

I'm in this thread because I have an aversion to the posting of blatant … I'm in this thread because I have an aversion to the posting of blatant misinformation. I'll pass on the Youtube thanks.

scared you might actually be wrong again?
effingandjeffing

would you agree it is not a good idea to keep downloading these periodic … would you agree it is not a good idea to keep downloading these periodic windows auto updates pointing towards win10?

Yes with Microsoft ramming win10 down peoples throats I'd avoid updates and install after doing research. Providing you remember and know how to look up an update and check it out.

Win7 has support (not mainline) until 2020 if I remember correctly so it annoys me they are trying to force everyone over to Win10 which eventually you will have to pay for security updates and patches as Microsoft move to a subscription model like Office365.
A lot of my family have been moved over to Linux (distro Mint) as it can be set up to be nearly like Win7/Win XP which they are familiar with. Obviously there are draw backs dual booting will be the option for gaming as Linux drivers aren't on par with Windows counterparts yet.
I upgraded with a new six month old laptop and it messed it up. Crashing all the time etc. Restored it back and still not right and Windows is forcing my laptop to upgrade again. I have a good spec laptop what's runs like an old couple XP machine.
dorey69

I upgraded with a new six month old laptop and it messed it up. Crashing … I upgraded with a new six month old laptop and it messed it up. Crashing all the time etc. Restored it back and still not right and Windows is forcing my laptop to upgrade again. I have a good spec laptop what's runs like an old couple XP machine.

try linux maybe 'mint' linuxmint.com very different from windows(but quickly learnt) if you've never used anything, very secure, fast. free and can be dual booted if you don't want to lose windows.
Could be the fix for the laptop

moneysavingkitten

On the off chance that you haven't looked into this yet, if you don't want to start installing things, you can right-click the taskbar, click 'Properties', then click 'Customize...' in the 'Notification Area' section. You can then tell it to always hide the icon (as well as others). I know it's not actually gone, but at least it's not visible.:)
effingandjeffing

try linux maybe 'mint' http://www.linuxmint.com very different from … try linux maybe 'mint' http://www.linuxmint.com very different from windows(but quickly learnt) if you've never used anything, very secure, fast. free and can be dual booted if you don't want to lose windows.Could be the fix for the laptop

Thanks. It's still under guarantee at the mo. So gonna ring Acer. But thanks for the tip
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
The program called GWX Control Panel can get rid of all upgrade to Windows 10 related stuff and enable it again if you change your mind later.
thanks op, you ranting made me sure windows 10 was the right thing to do.

http://www.gwally.com/news/photos/catintinfoilhat.jpg
brilly

thanks op, you ranting made me sure windows 10 was the right thing to do.

I hope you haven't just stolen someones image and used it without their permission!
brilly

thanks op, you ranting made me sure windows 10 was the right thing to do

i see you like giving it away for free
Not sure what's wrong with trying to post some info to try and help people. Anyway thanks for sharing OP.
ceres

If you read the thread, it will become clear to you.

I did.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants