Expired

ford focus mk2 1.6 vs vauxhall astra h 1.4/1.6

Found 27th May 2014
Hi I'm looking to buy my first car (2k max, ideally less) wohoo checked lots of car insurance prices and pretty much get the same price for a polo as for ford focus. Previously was set to buy ford focus mk1 but seeing that insurance is more or less the same as for mk2 I'm having second thoughts.

So in terms of reliability is ford focus better than Vauxhall? I'm doing around 180 miles a week in commuting and hopefully gonna use the car to travel a bit in the summer. Would there also be a big of a difference in servicing cost?

Thanks

Tax: £175 (all of them)
MPG: Astra 1.4> mk2 focus/astra 1.6>mk1 focus (small margins)
Insurance: Astra 1.4 (again small margins)
Mileage: high for all of them
Looks: Astra>focus mk1>mk2
Space: looks like focus mk2 but could it be too wide for a first car? hmm
Astra has a chain instead of timing belt like focus

Going to test drive them all but so hard to decide

10 Comments

The Ford Focus is a very reliable car. I have owned 2 over the past 5 years (2000 and 2003 models) and they never let me down.

I completely disagree, had both and the astra is brilliant. to be honest, it's all going to be personal experience. my focus was constant disappointment yet the astra is amazing. I've never had problems with vauxhall, and have vowed to never buy another make of car. just get a reliable and independent check on the car you are thinking of buying and pay a little extra for one with a full service history.

I think if you look at the JD Power reliability surveys, the Ford will be better than the Vauxhall.

airbus330

I think if you look at the JD Power reliability surveys, the Ford will be … I think if you look at the JD Power reliability surveys, the Ford will be better than the Vauxhall.

Yeah, but make sure you start looking around the 30-40 mark. Higher up the list is dominated by reliable cars from the land of the rising sun.

true

Focus is easy winner, Astra is ok but they like to burn oil.

Frankly I always found the Fords to be not so well put together and felt a bit cheap feeling from that era, can't comment on more recent ones. The Astra's from the same era are a button fest in my experience (sneeze and that's how they decided the positions). OP with the miles you are looking to have you considered a diesel?

The price for one will be much the same as a petrol, as previous owners will have taken that hit for the age of cars you are looking at. It's a bit more expensive to buy the fuel but you should go further on a tank and save money long term. Insurance wise they are generally similar in price unless you pick something specifically sporty.

Toyota Corolla is another option to consider and probably more reliable if the surveys and figures are to be believed than both the Astra and the Focus.

Also things like the VW Golf are strong contenders, I've just seen a £2000 example with a 2005 plate in reasonable condition with acceptable mileage.

It's also worth looking outside the box as some cars can be cheap to insure despite what you might think. A Volvo V50 is one example I put through an insurance engine in relation to an enquiry and surprisingly with a young drive it was about the same money to run so it's worth considering all possible doors.

Another point on insurance is look to add other drivers even if they will never drive the car. My parents have both been on and off my insurance policy over the last 10 years because sometimes it brings it down as much as 25% despite the fact they never drove the car for the entire period. It's also convenient should they want to borrow the car when visiting.

Another point is if you enjoy a night out with friends, consider adding a female friend to the policy who may on occasion take the designated driver post, you may find it's a win win for you
Edited by: "Astec123" 27th May 2014

Focus is a good car, good handling, good engines. Can't really say that about Vauxhall.

Original Poster

Astec123

Frankly I always found the Fords to be not so well put together and felt … Frankly I always found the Fords to be not so well put together and felt a bit cheap feeling from that era, can't comment on more recent ones. The Astra's from the same era are a button fest in my experience (sneeze and that's how they decided the positions). OP with the miles you are looking to have you considered a diesel? The price for one will be much the same as a petrol, as previous owners will have taken that hit for the age of cars you are looking at. It's a bit more expensive to buy the fuel but you should go further on a tank and save money long term. Insurance wise they are generally similar in price unless you pick something specifically sporty. Toyota Corolla is another option to consider and probably more reliable if the surveys and figures are to be believed than both the Astra and the Focus.Also things like the VW Golf are strong contenders, I've just seen a £2000 example with a 2005 plate in reasonable condition with acceptable mileage. It's also worth looking outside the box as some cars can be cheap to insure despite what you might think. A Volvo V50 is one example I put through an insurance engine in relation to an enquiry and surprisingly with a young drive it was about the same money to run so it's worth considering all possible doors. Another point on insurance is look to add other drivers even if they will never drive the car. My parents have both been on and off my insurance policy over the last 10 years because sometimes it brings it down as much as 25% despite the fact they never drove the car for the entire period. It's also convenient should they want to borrow the car when visiting. Another point is if you enjoy a night out with friends, consider adding a female friend to the policy who may on occasion take the designated driver post, you may find it's a win win for you

tried volvo and it was £600 more than the mk2 focus not sure that I need a diesel as well cuz most weeks are 180 miles but not all the time, Im estimating that I will be doing around 6500 miles and most will be A roads and not motorway. So with extra maintenance cost for diesel..... Parents don't drive so cheap insurance for me is a dream lol £2k with autosaints is average for me, stupid box will be a pain tho

tince666

tried volvo and it was £600 more than the mk2 focus not sure that I … tried volvo and it was £600 more than the mk2 focus not sure that I need a diesel as well cuz most weeks are 180 miles but not all the time, Im estimating that I will be doing around 6500 miles and most will be A roads and not motorway. So with extra maintenance cost for diesel..... Parents don't drive so cheap insurance for me is a dream lol £2k with autosaints is average for me, stupid box will be a pain tho

The volvo was just an example that worked for me and was more just to indicate that it can be worth trying some other options more outside of the box. I was quite surprised when I was still in the used car market at some of the insurance deals I was able to find on cars that were ones I considered entirely unlikely possibilities. Even adding someone like a grandparent/aunt/uncle can often take the price down. It's more that it's a responsible adult than anything else even when your not a teenager.

Another avenue to consider depending on your opinion of it, is consider a cheap new/nearly new car on a PCP type deal. Below is a few quick examples but I've seen similarly good deals on nearly new cars which also helps with insurance to bring the price down.

lingscars.com/Sko…tml

appliedleasing.co.uk/per…145

appliedleasing.co.uk/per…253

appliedleasing.co.uk/per…847
Post a comment
@
    Text