EXPIRED

FORD KA HELP WHEEL BEARINGS AND FRONT ARMS (BOTH SIDES)

well hopefully we have some experts out there cause im far from one when it comes to cars!

ive been told i need two new front arms on my ford ka (54 plate) and a front wheel bearing (drivers side i think - is it necessary to know exactly which side?)

ive been quoted £157 but i called a place which says they will take £65 to do the work - is that reasoanble or is it easy to do the work myself??? They said i can buy the parts. does anyone know where i could buy them?

i found some on ebay see here

cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOR…318

(although i note this is for 2 is this the right one - told you im clueless!) total £30

and 2 front arms for £4O see here

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/…dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330299095323

so £70 plus £65 = £135 ( i can count!)

wot do u think?????

17 Comments

If you're clueless with cars theres no way I'd suggest you do that work yourself.

£157 doesn't sound too bad, but all the parts on ebay are new so if you think this cheaper garage sound ok, go with them!

The wishbones you can do yourself but the bearing will need a press. Considering how cold it is at the moment, get somebody else to do the lot :lol:

Original Poster

chrishill;4079153

If you're clueless with cars theres no way I'd suggest you do that work … If you're clueless with cars theres no way I'd suggest you do that work yourself. £157 doesn't sound too bad, but all the parts on ebay are new so if you think this cheaper garage sound ok, go with them!

is there a place on net where i could buy them all at once for say same price/or less as ebay?

i need 2 x arms
1 x wheel bearing
ford ka 54 plate
(the ebay one gives 2 x wheel bearing)

Just looked at your ebay link, you did notice they were REAR bearings I take it :?

Engine size of the KA, manual or power steering? I'll check my normal supplier....

Original Poster

Shengis;4079412

Just looked at your ebay link, you did notice they were REAR bearings I … Just looked at your ebay link, you did notice they were REAR bearings I take it :?Engine size of the KA, manual or power steering? I'll check my normal supplier....

oops no i didnt ! told u i was cluless its power steering ta

buypartsby.co.uk

They don't list the bearing on the site but you can ring them on 0800 027 6525. Or just ring your local motor factor. Don't bother ringing Ford as the wishbones will probably be about £80 each :lol:

If that £157 is all in i'd just drop it off with them tbh.

yeah from your post id say take it to the garage rather than take the risk!!

Original Poster

marko4ever24;4079486

oops no i didnt ! told u i was cluless its power steering ta

just had a quote of £70 delivered from ]247spares.co.uk
new parts

Original Poster

marko4ever24;4079635

just had a quote of £70 delivered from ]www.247spares.co.uknew parts

anywhere else i can check?

Original Poster

marko4ever24;4079646

anywhere else i can check?

anyone??

£157 is good, plus if they do the work and have supplied the parts you'll have some peice of mind that if there are any probs with it that they will sort it out, i had a ring round today to get my car serviced, i am actually going with the one that is £50 more cause it extends my warrenty by 1 more year and seeing as i have not long ago had to have a steering rack i figure £50 for peice of mind is really good.

£157 is a good price for the work.
Is £65 for labour only? Sounds too cheap IMO.
Don't forget, cheap parts = early grave. Inferior components are not made to last, and you would not want an arm snapping, or wheel bearing collapsing whilst on the motorway.
Do not do the job yourself if you do not have a clue. I would say the repairs would take about 2 hours so £157 is a cheap price.
I have motor trade experience and have seen some real bodge jobs. Life needs to be valued.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

The Therapist;4083990

£157 is a good price for the work. Is £65 for labour only? Sounds too c … £157 is a good price for the work. Is £65 for labour only? Sounds too cheap IMO.Don't forget, cheap parts = early grave. Inferior components are not made to last, and you would not want an arm snapping, or wheel bearing collapsing whilst on the motorway. Do not do the job yourself if you do not have a clue. I would say the repairs would take about 2 hours so £157 is a cheap price.I have motor trade experience and have seen some real bodge jobs. Life needs to be valued.:thumbsup:

yes £65 for labour only. going to bye the parts - new of course from ]247spares.co.uk for £70 wot u think

More worryingly is how you managed to damage you suspension arms in the first place. Do you drive over speed bumps on a regular basis? If you do you may want to slow down as you will end up damaging your shocks too.
£65 for labour is a good price as my local garage charges £48.50 an hour which is exactly half the price of my main dealer.
So if they will fit parts that you have bought for £65 I'd go for it.
On my old cars I used to do everything, now just take it to the garage. Things that you think will take you a few hours end up taking a whole day as you end up trying to do things without the correct tools.

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;4085287

More worryingly is how you managed to damage you suspension arms in the … More worryingly is how you managed to damage you suspension arms in the first place. Do you drive over speed bumps on a regular basis? If you do you may want to slow down as you will end up damaging your shocks too.£65 for labour is a good price as my local garage charges £48.50 an hour which is exactly half the price of my main dealer.So if they will fit parts that you have bought for £65 I'd go for it.On my old cars I used to do everything, now just take it to the garage. Things that you think will take you a few hours end up taking a whole day as you end up trying to do things without the correct tools.

wot happend was that i was driving on a road that i hadnt been on before and didnt notice the road had a bump - not the single ones but one that went all along the road - i hit it at about 30 mph.

wot would happen if i damaged my shocks? is that an expensive job?

marko4ever24;4085230

yes £65 for labour only. going to bye the parts - new of course from … yes £65 for labour only. going to bye the parts - new of course from ]www.247spares.co.uk for £70 wot u think

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 247 spares are a 'breakers yard' site?
Not sure where you are located in the UK but try [COLOR=red]]THIS[/COLOR][COLOR=black]link for local Unipart. Ask them to give you trade discount. They sell quality parts at cheap prices. Most reputable garages use them. Also the likes of the Fast Fit tyres & brakes etc. companies use them.[/COLOR]

Original Poster

The Therapist;4090415

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 247 spares are a 'breakers yard' site?Not … Correct me if I'm wrong, but 247 spares are a 'breakers yard' site?Not sure where you are located in the UK but try [COLOR=red]]THIS[/COLOR][COLOR=black]link for local Unipart. Ask them to give you trade discount. They sell quality parts at cheap prices. Most reputable garages use them. Also the likes of the Fast Fit tyres & brakes etc. companies use them.[/COLOR]

not sure about that but had already called unipart tehy wanted £85 called

buypartsby.co.uk/

got them for £47 delivered brand new. from now on i will be buying the parts and getting a garage to do the labour have been getting ripped off me thinks
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)58
    2. Anyone use a FitBit Surge?11
    3. seller asked for IMEI87
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1925

See more discussions