Ford Kuga PHEV - Home Charging

Posted 2nd Feb 2022
Hi all, i've just had delivery of my Ford Kuga PHEV and it's been delivered with a 3 pin charger.

Is it safe to use an existing socket to charge this (located in my porch on a ring with downstairs sockets), or do I need to get someone to fit an external socket going direct to the fuse box?

I'm not in a position to install a fast charger at the moment!

Any help much appreciated! Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Personally I'd put a circuit breaker between the socket and plug. Dirt cheap from Toolstation / Screwfix etc and adds another level of protection.
    Why get a PHEV without doing research? What plug did you expect to get with it??
    Yes as long as its not plugged into a coiled up extension lead. Although there is many a debate on the internet about fires when using 3 pin plug chargers, (edited)
    3 pin charger is fine. Make sure its a decent quality socket and the plug fits well - I've seen a melted socket when the socket was recessed and the cable put strain on the plug fitting into the socket.

Ideally I'd run a dedicated circuit on an rcb but you'll be fine. You can get reasonably priced chargers that go into a commando socket.
    Yep, we charged our first LEAF on the outside garden socket for weeks before our home charger was installed. No issues.
    But avoid extension leads, as already stated.
    Be aware that the 3-pin plug and socket themselves are not waterproof even if the rest of the unit may be. So if you're charging in the rain you want to use a socket far enough indoors it's not going to get wet.
    I've had a Kia Niro phev for 3 years and been very happy with it. A discussion regarding 'granny chargers' can be found here:

speakev.com/thr…18/

Enjoy the new motor.
    Author
    fiestasteve4402/02/2022 16:25

Why get a PHEV without doing research? What plug did you expect to get …Why get a PHEV without doing research? What plug did you expect to get with it??

I’m not saying I expected a different charger. I’m saying I’m not in a position to get a quick charger installed professionally at the moment. So wanted to know the drawbacks of the 3 pin method before I use it.
    LOL, you bought the car without properly checking how you gonna charge it?
    Author
    senukas03/02/2022 07:40

LOL, you bought the car without properly checking how you gonna charge it?

LOL yep. Amazing how helpful people are on here keep up the good work!
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants