Foreign Office advising against all but essential travel to Gambia

Editor
The government have advised against all but essential travel to Gambia due to the deteriotating political situation and potential military intervention follwing the countries recent elections.

The advice is if you are currently in Gambia that you should leave if you have no essential need to stay there.
Basically the outgoing president is contesting the election results in the supreme court and the president elect has left the country. The economic community of West African States (ECOWAS) has said it may intervene including possible military action if the outgoing president does not step down on the scheduled handover date which is 18/19th January.
There is also an underlying threat of terrorism and Banjul International Airport could be closed at short notice.

Stay safe!

FOREIGN OFFICE LINK HERE

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/587e8b32e5274a1303000164/170117_Gambia_jpeg.jpg

14 Comments

Bummer. I was heading there later today to buy a tonne of ivory, diamonds and firearms. Does that count as essential travel?

Lots of people go on holiday there...Thomas Cook flying people back to the UK.

Thousands of Thomas Cook holidaymakers will be returned to the UK from The Gambia after the Foreign Office changed its travel advice.
The firm plans to bring home 985 customers from package holidays over the next 48 hours.

They wont be missing much, its only a tad better than Tunisia.

peeej1978

Bummer. I was heading there later today to buy a tonne of ivory, diamonds … Bummer. I was heading there later today to buy a tonne of ivory, diamonds and firearms. Does that count as essential travel?

As long as you don't plan on practising any type of "Witchcraft" activities whilst you're out there,you should be OK.
Be safe.
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 18th Jan

who in their right mind would go there

Banned

snowflake75

who in their right mind would go there

People that like exploring Africa & Safaris

YouDontWantToKnow

​Gambia isn't a place to go for safari.

YouDontWantToKnow

​good luck with the safari

DarkEnergy2012

What are you talking about, it looks amazing

I wish there was some way of telling who has the copyright for that picture.

Banned

rhinopaul

​Gambia isn't a place to go for safari.

Yes it is. (No it isnt... Yes it is)

YouDontWantToKnow

​I talk from experience and having traveled and worked extensively in Africa. So no it isn't buy there is a lot of bird life.

g8spur

I wish there was some way of telling who has the copyright for that … I wish there was some way of telling who has the copyright for that picture.

If only!! It'll remain a mystery.

YouDontWantToKnow

Except this time you're wrong. So "no it isn't" wins.

YouDontWantToKnow

Absolutely not a place for safaris. I went on a trip with college once to take supplies to schools out there, and aside from being an eye opening experience, I can't understand why anyone would go there on holiday! It's too dangerous to leave the hotel complexes without a guide, even at the best of times
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2640
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions