Forgot to cancel Tastecard. Help

Posted 21st May 2019
I had a 60 day trial for Tastecard for £1 during this time I never used it. Forgot to cancel and on the 17th May they took £39.99 for a years membership when I noticed this on the 18th May I emailed to cancel this and asked for a refund they have refused. Have I got any chance of a refund. Thank you all.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
In one word, no
20 Comments
In one word, no
tastecard.co.uk/ter…ons

• Your 14-day cooling off period starts the day after you agree to go ahead with the service, this does not apply to subsequent renewals.
depends if they count the trial as the initial contract ?
Like all these cheap/free trials , they rely on you forgetting to cancel to make their money . Just check how many other such deals you have signed up to .
No chance of a refund. But next time put a reminder on your phone for a few days before
Wadda21/05/2019 12:02

No chance of a refund. But next time put a reminder on your phone for a …No chance of a refund. But next time put a reminder on your phone for a few days before

or cancel immediately upon starting the trial
Thank you all for your comments.
Hmm you could try this. In affect you have signed into a contract but do have a 14 day cooling contract.
However a contract needs something if value to be exchanged.
As payment was made on the 17th , than you could argue technicaly that was when the contract became binding & from that day the 14 day cooling period should commence.
Worth a try.
37692293-B1fVw.jpg
14 day cooling off started when you took the £1 promo so has passed that. I had the same done to me with PureGym, my fault. No chance of refund.
Lesson learned, I never sign up for even free trials as I’m to lazy to cancel. It’s the only way these things make money by people dining this. You lost your money but cancel the repeat now so it doesn’t happen again
robbbowen21/05/2019 12:44

Thank you all for your comments.

Make sure you really have cancelled it for next year; best done by informing your bank or card company not to pay Tastecard any more money - and best done in old fashioned writing, with a copy kept and sent registered post just in case your bank/CC denies ever receiving your request.
If you ever join these schemes, do it by direct debit which you can cancel with your bank and then it's DEAD. I don't trust credit card continuous authority mandates.
Your renewal date is the expiry date shown on your physical and digital membership card. We will not be *liable for any non-receipt of communication from us, including non-receipt of the renewal reminder.

6.1 The 14-day cooling-off period starts the day after you agree to go ahead with the service. This does not apply to subsequent renewals.

they have got you on the t&c's

*that bits dodgy imho but probably perfectly legal...
Stu_Mcmoo21/05/2019 14:38

Your renewal date is the expiry date shown on your physical and digital …Your renewal date is the expiry date shown on your physical and digital membership card. We will not be *liable for any non-receipt of communication from us, including non-receipt of the renewal reminder.6.1 The 14-day cooling-off period starts the day after you agree to go ahead with the service. This does not apply to subsequent renewals.they have got you on the t&c's*that bits dodgy imho but probably perfectly legal...

Don't assume t&c are written in stone, can be challenged.
if you haven't authorised the transaction, ring your back and have them issue a chargeback.
deleted67360
Asura21/05/2019 19:15

if you haven't authorised the transaction, ring your back and have them …if you haven't authorised the transaction, ring your back and have them issue a chargeback.

HE did, by not cancelling the trial on time!
tardytortoise21/05/2019 13:47

...and sent registered post just in case your bank/CC denies ever …...and sent registered post just in case your bank/CC denies ever receiving your request.

I now rarely use (registered) signed for service for letter comms as it simply provides the recipient an opportunity to actively show not received if the item is rejected for any reason or signed for by anybody other than the intended recipient. Just retain combination of postage receipt + freebie cert of posting from PO and if ever challenged about successful delivery just quote S7 Interpretation Act 1978.
adamderak21/05/2019 17:38

Don't assume t&c are written in stone, can be challenged.

...at a court of law (having paid legal fees), when it is perfectly legal, and having already confessed he "forgot", for the price of £39.99 ?

"ok".
Stu_Mcmoo22/05/2019 13:04

...at a court of law (having paid legal fees), when it is perfectly legal, …...at a court of law (having paid legal fees), when it is perfectly legal, and having already confessed he "forgot", for the price of £39.99 ?"ok".

I suspect the only hope for legal challenge would be incomplete contractual disclosures (not) provided at the appropriate time, although OP has not stated if all required disclosures were disclosed at the correct time or even any other point in time.
I have also been stung with this. i have raised a Pay Pal dispute as i did contact them and got no response. the Account section there website might as well not exist i see no where on there website that tells me about what details they had , more fool me for not being thorough but i saw no mention of auto renewel or what payment types they had for me. isnt there rules these days about that
clause 6.2 state;

To cancel your membership, please call us on tastecard: 0800 5677 242, Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm, or you can cancel online. Upon cancellation, you will receive a confirmation email; it is recommended that this is kept for your own personal records.

I tried to call their offices one day before my renewal date to learn that their offices are closed due to COVID-19. I then tried to cancel the membership online and it stated an error advising me to call their offices.

My opinion is that their terms and conditions are out of date and they are now saying I should have contacted them via social media. There is nothing in the contract terms and conditions stating this.

Would I be eligible for a refund? I think so!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants