Groups
    EXPIRED

Formatting to FAT32 Issues!!

How do I format to FAT32? I am using Vista and the external HD is 40GB and do not have an option to do it!!!!

Tried doing it via CMD but no luck!!

16 Comments

download swissknife freeware program you can do it with this, even if you could FAT 32 format through vista will give max capacity of 32Gb

Original Poster

elflembo;4783846

download swissknife freeware program you can do it with this

Keeps freezing, may not work with Vista?

had the same problem, can't remember how i fixed it but did eventually work Sorry

in vista try Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management and then right click your drive to be formatted and select create new volume .... follow prompts!

Swissknife but right click on shortcut and run as administrator,

Original Poster

DVS_Dee;4783982

in vista try Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk … in vista try Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management and then right click your drive to be formatted and select create new volume .... follow prompts!

No option for FAT32?

tonyg1962;4784060

Swissknife but right click on shortcut and run as administrator,

Freezes when choose External HD!! :x

I believe this is the software I used last time for a large fat32 format:

softpedia.com/get…tml

As correctly mentioned above, XP limits FAT32 partitions to just 32GB so even if you can do it with Vista it's likely to limit you as well. If you can't get any tool working in Windows I'd consider running a bootable CD and doing it that way instead - I'd recommend Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or any of the Linux live CDs.

John

Try the Iomega site or Western Digital site my other half is sure he used a little FAT32 utility from there (we use Vista and external drives)

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;4784219

I believe this is the software I used last time for a large fat32 … I believe this is the software I used last time for a large fat32 format:http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/FAT32format.shtmlAs correctly mentioned above, XP limits FAT32 partitions to just 32GB so even if you can do it with Vista it's likely to limit you as well. If you can't get any tool working in Windows I'd consider running a bootable CD and doing it that way instead - I'd recommend Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or any of the Linux live CDs.John

Thats the CMD which does not work!!

tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/…er/

Thats what ive used on Vista to format an external drive

Original Poster

Wenchybev;4784220

Try the Iomega site or Western Digital site my other half is sure he used … Try the Iomega site or Western Digital site my other half is sure he used a little FAT32 utility from there (we use Vista and external drives)

Could not see anything?

deanos;4784285

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/Thats what ive used on Vista to … http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/Thats what ive used on Vista to format an external drive

Trying it now!!

Original Poster

Right I used the programme above and manged to format it to FAT32 but the PS3 does not pick it up!!! On my PC when you view properties does say FAT32!!

Original Poster

No one? Need to sort out my PS3!!!!!

Hi, since you reported this as no longer needed - did you find a way of fixing this? If so, it might help to post up how it was fixed as it might help other people who stumble upon this thread.

Original Poster

duckmagicuk2;4788796

Hi, since you reported this as no longer needed - did you find a way of … Hi, since you reported this as no longer needed - did you find a way of fixing this? If so, it might help to post up how it was fixed as it might help other people who stumble upon this thread.

Hi, did not mange as had to borrow my mates HD and did it from that, yep might as well keep it open as will be useful! :thumbsup:

]http//ho…543

this should do the trick
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767170
      2. word association Game73844450
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047079
      4. Forza Motorsport 7 Demo goes live on Xbox One and PC (6pm - 19/09)78

See more discussions