Fortnite / internet problems

Found 9th Mar
Could fortnite be the reason my internet is crashing all the time. I have always had very steady internet around 36mbps & 10mbps up never had a problem what's so ever. The only new thing that's changed is my lad playing fortnite on the Xbox one .
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
What do you mean by "crashing"? Regardless, playing Fortnite online shouldn't cause problems.
deleted800342
Faughtnight ruins lives.
As long as your son gets the W’s, it’s all good.
Original Poster
Illusionary42 m ago

What do you mean by "crashing"? Regardless, playing Fortnite online …What do you mean by "crashing"? Regardless, playing Fortnite online shouldn't cause problems.

Internet dropping out. Iv googled the issue and it looks like it's a massive problem. Just need to find a work around. Wondering if others on here having a similar problem.
Original Poster
deleted8003429th Mar

Faughtnight ruins lives.

It's ruining mine haha and I don't even play it.
larrylightweight6 m ago

Internet dropping out. Iv googled the issue and it looks like it's a …Internet dropping out. Iv googled the issue and it looks like it's a massive problem. Just need to find a work around. Wondering if others on here having a similar problem.

Can you link to what you're finding? I'd taken a look too and while I could find a few mentions of issues, these looked to be more in the way of isolated instances rather than anything particularly widespread.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 10th Mar
33412886-IItnG.jpg
You will probably find if your kid is playing it 24/7 then you are probably being traffic managed due to excessive use at peak times. The game bandwidth required although not huge will probably suck up most of the connection whilst you are under traffic management at peak times and he’s probably talking too with voice chat which adds another mb or so.

Changing isp or your tariff to a non traffic managed tarriff would improve things eg vivid 300 gamer from virgin media (no traffic management and 300mb of download/20+mb upload).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th Mar
Prob hitting your bandwidth and getting throttled for 4 hours
cmdr_elito2 h, 27 m ago

You will probably find if your kid is playing it 24/7 then you are …You will probably find if your kid is playing it 24/7 then you are probably being traffic managed due to excessive use at peak times. The game bandwidth required although not huge will probably suck up most of the connection whilst you are under traffic management at peak times and he’s probably talking too with voice chat which adds another mb or so.Changing isp or your tariff to a non traffic managed tarriff would improve things eg vivid 300 gamer from virgin media (no traffic management and 300mb of download/20+mb upload).

How much is 300 gamer
Original Poster
cmdr_elito3 h, 40 m ago

You will probably find if your kid is playing it 24/7 then you are …You will probably find if your kid is playing it 24/7 then you are probably being traffic managed due to excessive use at peak times. The game bandwidth required although not huge will probably suck up most of the connection whilst you are under traffic management at peak times and he’s probably talking too with voice chat which adds another mb or so.Changing isp or your tariff to a non traffic managed tarriff would improve things eg vivid 300 gamer from virgin media (no traffic management and 300mb of download/20+mb upload).

Thanks didn't even think of this just thought the game was gready. This will be it then I only get fttc aswell I'm with EE fiber but I bet they throttle it like you say. After reading alot about it yesterday I'm also of the conclusion this game can have up to 100 players in it after the last update I've asked my lad this morning and he says sometimes he starts the games. This is hosting "right"? If so this takes up more bandwidth "right"?
Original Poster
ashmac1 h, 41 m ago

Prob hitting your bandwidth and getting throttled for 4 hours

Thanks I think you possibly right. I logged a complaint with EE last weekend thinking something was wrong they tested line over the phone then booked appointment with openreach they came out yesterday said tbh mate the line looks good but we'll change a few sockets these are the newer ones that have filters built in he also did a little work in the cabinet at the bottom of the street. Said he'd changed some clips down there. After he'd gone still getting the same problems of internet dropping out later in the evening. I knew the openreach guy so he was happy to spend a little time on it for me I trust him when he says the line is ok. So I knew the only thing changed in my house latly was my lad playing "fortnite"all the time in the evenings and weekends.
Edited by: "larrylightweight" 10th Mar
ashmac1 h, 50 m ago

How much is 300 gamer

About £40 a month, maybe less if you get it on a new customer deal.
larrylightweight42 m ago

Thanks didn't even think of this just thought the game was gready. This …Thanks didn't even think of this just thought the game was gready. This will be it then I only get fttc aswell I'm with EE fiber but I bet they throttle it like you say. After reading alot about it yesterday I'm also of the conclusion this game can have up to 100 players in it after the last update I've asked my lad this morning and he says sometimes he starts the games. This is hosting "right"? If so this takes up more bandwidth "right"?

Yes it is called hosting but it could still be hosted on a server even though initiates the game. In your scenario it could be using more bandwidth, but it depends on the game and how demanding it is.
Gaming uses tiny amounts of bandwidth. From Elito's comment I did wonder if fortnite was an exception but a search suggests it's normal with figures of 50-100MB an hour being suggested.

That's less than 1/1000th of your bandwidth. If it was literally played for 24 hours every day for 31 days then it would be just 55GB, around the same as watching two 4K movies.

If the internet is dropping out across all devices in the house and the line is fine then I'd suspect your router has developed a fault. Sometimes resetting them can help if the software has got itself in a tangle, but that's less a problem than it used to be.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 10th Mar
Original Poster

My lad has also told me he dose this before hosting a game could this be playing apart
When the internet stops working do the lights on the router indicate a problem?

From my understanding if it's working they should be all green ( if you are using the EE supplied router), if the internet or broadband light are not this could indicate a problem.

If the lights are all green is the issue on wireless and wired devices?
Edited by: "twigc" 10th Mar
Original Poster
twigc14 m ago

When the internet stops working do the lights on the router indicate a …When the internet stops working do the lights on the router indicate a problem? From my understanding if it's working they should be all green ( if you are using the EE supplied router), if the internet or broadband light are not this could indicate a problem.If the lights are all green is the issue on wireless and wired devices?

Hi thanks for asking there are four green lights on my EE router that are on almost all the time when the internet drops out the light that says internet goes from a green to a orangey/red then red. Then the wireless light just turns red. Then no connection across all house device's this can stay like this for minutes or hours. Turning the router off and on again sometimes helps but once its started in the evenings it will continue most of the evening. It doesn't happen every evening but most of last week it dropped out at least every day once or twice some evenings I have lost count and just give up. Hence the call to EE
The same thing happens to me and my son plays lots of online games and somebody is usually streaming a film too and sometimes I even have two sons playing games. I’m on BT infinity unlimited and they don’t apply traffic management or do they?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants