Fortnite, PS4... and keyboard?! (Help a clueless parent!)

Posted 1st Oct
Hello any help appreciated!
my son has asked for a keyboard and mouse for his birthday to play fortnite. He currently plays on his PS4 with the regular controller.
He doesn’t have a pc. But is sure he can connect a keyboard and a mouse, to his PS4? Is this right? Can you play fortnite ( his favourite) this way on PS4 using keyboard to control?and which other games can you play this way on this console?

any recommendations of keyboards and mouses (mice?!) that would be compatible for his “needs” would help too. I’m not sure if it has to be “gaming keyboards” or not either..

thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
I’m sure you can play fortnite but I don’t know about what other games
Yep PS4 is fully comparable with any keyboard and mouse and Fortnite will make use of it.
No need to get right into gaming keyboard just yet. Start with a midrange one and see if he sticks with it first.
MarkWeir01/10/2019 21:15

Yep PS4 is fully comparable with any keyboard and mouse and Fortnite will …Yep PS4 is fully comparable with any keyboard and mouse and Fortnite will make use of it. No need to get right into gaming keyboard just yet. Start with a midrange one and see if he sticks with it first.

You can use a keyboard and mouse on the PS4 in the menus and certain apps, but if you actually want to play most FPS games with keys and mouse you'd need a Xim/Cronus adapter. I don't know about Fortnite specifically but for the likes of Battlefield 1/V, Apex, Black Ops, etc. you can't just plug a KB & M straight in to the console and play without using a device. One thing to bear in mind though is that if your son is used to using a controller and hasn't been playing PC games the plugging in a keyboard and mouse won't automatically make him a better player instantly as would take him some period to get to the feel of using that set-up rather than a pad, there's definitely some learning curve there.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 1st Oct
MarkWeir01/10/2019 21:15

Yep PS4 is fully comparable with any keyboard and mouse and Fortnite will …Yep PS4 is fully comparable with any keyboard and mouse and Fortnite will make use of it. No need to get right into gaming keyboard just yet. Start with a midrange one and see if he sticks with it first.

Thanks do you think the one linked above would do the job
Haircut_10001/10/2019 21:29

. but if you actually want to play most FPS games with keys and mouse …. but if you actually want to play most FPS games with keys and mouse you'd need a Xim/Cronus adapter.

Thank you. What does this ^mean please I have no idea
hes only 10 so won’t play anything much different to fortnite
claire751901/10/2019 21:30

Yes my son does exactly the same, he uses this keyboard & mouse. You can …Yes my son does exactly the same, he uses this keyboard & mouse. You can always upgrade if he uses it.Keyboard and Mouse... amazon.co.uk/dp/B07432V11H?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks that’s exactly like the one he pointed out! Very cheap I wasn’t expecting to pay a lot more but reviews seem good?!does yours son play fortnite With it On is ps4?
also doesn’t minecraft work this way too??
pricklychin01/10/2019 21:47

Thank you. What does this ^mean please I have no idea hes …Thank you. What does this ^mean please I have no idea hes only 10 so won’t play anything much different to fortnite

gizmodo.com/this-usb-hub-gives-your-ps4-and-xbox-superpowers-1784772207

Some PS4 games can be played with a keyboard and mouse without any kind of adapter, but the vast majority would need something like this device which enables you to actually play games on the PS4 with mouse and keys and developers often disable the input from them in their games. A few games work without an adapter device, hopefully someone here will be able to confirm if Fortnite is one of them.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 1st Oct
pricklychin01/10/2019 21:48

Thanks that’s exactly like the one he pointed out! Very cheap I wasn’t exp …Thanks that’s exactly like the one he pointed out! Very cheap I wasn’t expecting to pay a lot more but reviews seem good?!does yours son play fortnite With it On is ps4?

Yeah he does, he prefers it more than using his control pads for some weird reason
claire751901/10/2019 22:06

Yeah he does, he prefers it more than using his control pads for some …Yeah he does, he prefers it more than using his control pads for some weird reason

Controls and aiming is a lot, lot easier and more precise with a keyboard / mouse if you get used to it. The best PC player will always beat the best console player.
Vencurse01/10/2019 23:55

Controls and aiming is a lot, lot easier and more precise with a keyboard …Controls and aiming is a lot, lot easier and more precise with a keyboard / mouse if you get used to it. The best PC player will always beat the best console player.

That’s probably why he asked if he can have a gaming pc next year then
Think all the kids must want to play like this now. My son got keyboard and mouse too for his ps4
The adjective gaming when attached to keyboards is primarily a styling description. There are no major functionality or compatibility differences compared to any other USB keyboard.
EndlessWaves02/10/2019 13:22

The adjective gaming when attached to keyboards is primarily a styling …The adjective gaming when attached to keyboards is primarily a styling description. There are no major functionality or compatibility differences compared to any other USB keyboard.

i mean not really, whilst there are plenty of "gaming" keyboards that are membrane, id say that actual mechanical gaming keyboards are certainly different to normal keyboards, its not all just marketing.
pcdealhunter02/10/2019 14:18

i mean not really, whilst there are plenty of "gaming" keyboards that are …i mean not really, whilst there are plenty of "gaming" keyboards that are membrane, id say that actual mechanical gaming keyboards are certainly different to normal keyboards, its not all just marketing.

Hard plastic vs. rubber dome keyswitches only affect how it feels to press a key. And hard plastic switches have been used in high end typists keyboards long before they became fashionable for gaming ones.

They don't affect what you can do in a game or what games or systems the keyboard works with.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 2nd Oct
Any USB mouse and keyboard combination will work.
Does anyone know if minecraft PS4 supports keyboard
Yes, you can map any keyboard button in the settings.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants