Groups

Found a jacket I like, only trace of said jacket appears on Ebay. Is it genuine?

Banned
    I'm looking for a new jacket and found one that took my fancy on ebay (listed quite a few times) so decided to look for the same jacket from a reputable website. When I try to find this reversible jacket using google using both search and image search, the only hits I get are ebay listings.

Of course, this rings alarm bells for me, but it may just be out of season or something. Below I have linked to the jacket in question, can anyone confirm or help me find out if this a genuine line of jackets from Ralph Lauren?

Thanks.

ebay.co.uk/itm…604?hash=item2efa2be63c:g:jC0AAOSwZQRYZT6h
    ebay.co.uk/itm…992?hash=item43fbf56800:g:CMoAAOSwiONYMWQw

They come in a range of colours too, different colour inside and outside.

48 Comments

I had a look and i wouldnt buy it, also states no returns. ask them where its from ?

The first link was originally purchased from the Ralph Lauren Outlet in Bicester Village - you could call them and ask about it - as in when it was originally in stock and so on - showing the a piccy of said jacket....

The second one states a RRP - again that can be verified too and you COULD ask the seller on EBay where and when he or she purchased it from - and is this verifiable - to safeguard against fakes etc.

Give me a nudge or shout if you need any other ideas.

Cloud the Cat

I don't like it - it doesn't look like a quality item, I don't like the way things don't line up at the back, unless it hasn't been straightened properly, the pic makes it look cheap.

Cant see it anywhere. But this is similiar and cheaper too and its not a fake. jsbwindows.co.uk/ral…tml

Original Poster Banned

cloudthecat

The first link was originally purchased from the Ralph Lauren Outlet in … The first link was originally purchased from the Ralph Lauren Outlet in Bicester Village - you could call them and ask about it - as in when it was originally in stock and so on - showing the a piccy of said jacket....The second one states a RRP - again that can be verified too and you COULD ask the seller on EBay where and when he or she purchased it from - and is this verifiable - to safeguard against fakes etc.Give me a nudge or shout if you need any other ideas.Cloud the Cat

There are quite a few listings past and present for this type of jacket, but it worries me the only trace of it is on eBay. Looks genuine enough but just need clarification this was an authentic product.

Original Poster Banned

caroline777upnorth

I don't like it - it doesn't look like a quality item, I don't like the … I don't like it - it doesn't look like a quality item, I don't like the way things don't line up at the back, unless it hasn't been straightened properly, the pic makes it look cheap.

Lol, thanks for your help.

Original Poster Banned

farmeruk1

Cant see it anywhere. But this is similiar and cheaper too and its not a … Cant see it anywhere. But this is similiar and cheaper too and its not a fake. http://www.jsbwindows.co.uk/ralph-lauren-polo-mens-coat-jackets-black-white-logo-p-944.html

Not bad that but prefer the one I'm looking for

Ask for a phoiphoito of the care for label, it shposhpoyld give you a good indication if it's a fake or not. Found a jumper from at a charity shop, which sells everything for £1, and was dubious if it was a real one or not ( not that it would mattered much at that price, but was going to give it to my dad ) and the care label was what help me decide it was genuine if they're selling it as a real rh, they won't care you're asking, if not, don't go near it

Bicester sells things that are a couple of seasons (sometimes more) old so that would explain a lack of them online but I'd expect to at least find one usually.
    I got a Vivienne Westwood bag there and never found it anywhere else online or in stores but it was definitely genuine.
    They currently have Pandora frogs there and they were retired ages ago so wouldn't surprise me if the jacket was a few years old.

You could always email Ralph Lauren and ask them,give them an Ebay item number.

On this listing I just looked at it states this :

The garments in this listing are guaranteed to be authentic, and manufactured by ralph lauren . Do not hesitate to email for additional pictures of the item, or pictures of the store receipt to validate authenticity

Personally I'd walk away. Not selling anything else, someone selling such a valuable item I'd expect to be selling others too. Not a huge amount of feedback and not much as a seller. If I was buying a RL coat I'd want the seller to be perfect. .. They aren't perfect enough.
    Edited by: "steedam" 5th Jan

farmeruk1

Cant see it anywhere. But this is similiar and cheaper too and its not a … Cant see it anywhere. But this is similiar and cheaper too and its not a fake. http://www.jsbwindows.co.uk/ralph-lauren-polo-mens-coat-jackets-black-white-logo-p-944.html

Mmmm. That's 100% fake btw. (_;)

Edited by: "OldEnglish" 5th Jan

looking at the pics to me looks genuine and the seller has a Ralph Lauren outlet close by @ York.. I say close because I have to travel alot further and I still go.. Any 2014/2015 products will gave a purchase order label sewn in with the tags.. this should have a number on that is also on the paper tag. the outlet printers are crap and the printed tags with price and RRP are terrible.. so don't just look at the paper tags to judge. They are now faking the purchase order in the tags, so the best way is the horse. I've purchased from eBay with 100% genuine stated and over 50 sold.. they were fake.. 1st sign was the RL bag.. (Most don't have a branded bag) I only ever saw one original in a brand bag. catalogues and Amazon are about the only places you might find a branded plastic bag and obviously anyone reselling from those places. The ebay fake had the purchase order so I was thinking wow I got a real RL T-shirt better than the outlet sale price.. I was wrong.. I carefully checked the horse and could see minor errors. the more I looked the easier it was to see it was fake..

on looking for the same jacket looking like an eBay exclusive version.. so will be fake. the good news is if you find one to purchase via ebay and can prove to ebay it's fake you should be able to get a full refund.. usually the seller does not get the item back as once you are aware it's fake you should actually destroy it..
    I've had a fake Chinese kipling bag seller want pics of it cut up to get a refund.. we didn't tell them we knew it was fake as it was faulty.. so quite happy to cut it up anyway.

deb8z

You could always email Ralph Lauren and ask them,give them an Ebay item … You could always email Ralph Lauren and ask them,give them an Ebay item number.On this listing I just looked at it states this :The garments in this listing are guaranteed to be authentic, and manufactured by ralph lauren . Do not hesitate to email for additional pictures of the item, or pictures of the store receipt to validate authenticity281509949413

​do you have an email they will reply to you.. I've tried to report listings and get a reply that they can't help...

Original Poster Banned

Dawsy

on looking for the same jacket looking like an eBay exclusive version.. … on looking for the same jacket looking like an eBay exclusive version.. so will be fake. the good news is if you find one to purchase via ebay and can prove to ebay it's fake you should be able to get a full refund.. usually the seller does not get the item back as once you are aware it's fake you should actually destroy it..I've had a fake Chinese kipling bag seller want pics of it cut up to get a refund.. we didn't tell them we knew it was fake as it was faulty.. so quite happy to cut it up anyway.

Yeah that was my worry, I've searched high and low but only managed to find it on eBay. There is zero trace of this jacket anywhere.

Looking at all auctions including expired/ended it's been sold quite a few times by people who look like genuine people.

I'm 50/50 and as you say I may take a chance seeing as I'll be protected.

My gut feeling just doesn't sit right with it though.

MrScotchBonnet

Yeah that was my worry, I've searched high and low but only managed to … Yeah that was my worry, I've searched high and low but only managed to find it on eBay. There is zero trace of this jacket anywhere.Looking at all auctions including expired/ended it's been sold quite a few times by people who look like genuine people.I'm 50/50 and as you say I may take a chance seeing as I'll be protected.My gut feeling just doesn't sit right with it though.

In addition to last season's stock, seconds etc. some outlet stores sell merchandise that is produced only for outlets. i.e. in this case it is possible that you can't find any trace of the jacket because it was never sold at Ralph Lauren, but only RL outlets, hence no online sales, no department stores, no exposure in fashion publications etc. So it may only appear on eBay because people buy it at a discount at the outlets and think they can make some quick cash. No idea if that's the case in this instance, but it definitely happens.
    Edited by: "Muir" 5th Jan

Original Poster Banned

Muir

In addition to last season's stock, seconds etc. some outlet stores sell … In addition to last season's stock, seconds etc. some outlet stores sell merchandise that is produced only for outlets. i.e. in this case it is possible that you can't find any trace of the jacket because it was never sold at Ralph Lauren, but only RL outlets, hence no online sales, no department stores, no exposure in fashion publications etc. No idea if that's the case in this instance, but it definitely happens.

That's interesting to know, thanks.

I seen a website that links threw to ebay, they sold 77 of these jackets and has good reviews. Also sold other ralph lauren items.

Warning.....

.WARNING
    But the seller you are thinking about buying from isnusing someone else's photo. the 2nd photo has been copied from elsewhere. I would definitely give it a miss.

ralphlaurenxxl.biz/bnw…php
    Edited by: "farmeruk1" 5th Jan

Original Poster Banned

farmeruk1

I seen a website that links threw to ebay, they sold 77 of these jackets … I seen a website that links threw to ebay, they sold 77 of these jackets and has good reviews. Also sold other ralph lauren items.Warning......WARNINGBut the seller you are thinking about buying from isnusing someone else's photo. the 2nd photo has been copied from elsewhere. I would definitely give it a miss.

Yeah I only used to links in the OP as an example of the jacket, I would have avoided buying new from him.

All i can say is i would expect anyone selling just the 1 now with no tags is probally used.

Original Poster Banned

farmeruk1

All i can say is i would expect anyone selling just the 1 now with no … All i can say is i would expect anyone selling just the 1 now with no tags is probally used.

Yeah I guess I'll probably end up just giving it a miss, but it's my ideal jacket.

MrScotchBonnet

Yeah that was my worry, I've searched high and low but only managed to … Yeah that was my worry, I've searched high and low but only managed to find it on eBay. There is zero trace of this jacket anywhere.Looking at all auctions including expired/ended it's been sold quite a few times by people who look like genuine people.I'm 50/50 and as you say I may take a chance seeing as I'll be protected.My gut feeling just doesn't sit right with it though.

​I brought the T shirt knowing that I was protected and that was under £20
    if you did get the tags via pic both paper and garment care with purchase order I bet I could verify it.. (myself)
    I did buy a £500 RL M43 Combat jacket from York for about £50.. I did intend to keep it but it was just a little tight and not quite my style.. using the tags I managed to find a cached copy of it on the RL USA site so listed it on eBay using stock pictures as it was an embroidered design which was difficult to get to look good.
    I did of course take pics of my tags.

The quilted bomber style jacket with stitching around elbow and front shoulder (shooting gun area) look compatible with many quilted Ralph Lauren jackets. I personally don't like the look of the large logo as the number 12 seems irrelevant bearing in mind there are only 4 players in a team. The inclusion of dogs is also peculiar if the logo is in the polo range. I've looked online and all the quilted hunting jackets only have the small polo rider logo, none that I can see have dogs included or words.
    I've found this old listing oneBay. The 10th photo shows a clear picture of the price tag with barcode (albeit upside down). Perhaps you can find more using the additional info on the tag.

Toptrumpet

I've found this old listing oneBay. The 10th photo shows a clear picture … I've found this old listing oneBay. The 10th photo shows a clear picture of the price tag with barcode (albeit upside down). Perhaps you can find more using the additional info on the tag.

​a quick look at that tag and it looks genuine from the outlets.. see how it's not lined up at the bottom.. that's how most of the outlet ones look. like half of the tag is printed in store and not lined up the same...

Do find the hunting dogs a little strange also. especially reversible with the polo player..
    Edited by: "Dawsy" 5th Jan

There isna lot of similiar jackets, i searched for ralph lauren quilted polo and the looked through images.on goolge. Saw some nice jackets.

Also, it's reversible. Never seen a reversible in the Ralph Lauren shop in London

Original Poster Banned

Toptrumpet

Also, it's reversible. Never seen a reversible in the Ralph Lauren shop … Also, it's reversible. Never seen a reversible in the Ralph Lauren shop in London

That's what I really like about it.

That first listing which ended today, something's not quite right with the auction bidders.
    If you click on bid history and then on the bidders, the winning bidder g***j shows % bid activity with the seller to be 80% and the second highest bidder z***t shows their bid activity with the seller to be 100%.
    Either both bidders are buying all or most of their stuff from only this one seller or possibly the seller has multiple accounts - bidding themselves to run the auction price up??

Original Poster Banned

Toptrumpet

That first listing which ended today, something's not quite right with … That first listing which ended today, something's not quite right with the auction bidders.If you click on bid history and then on the bidders, the winning bidder g***j shows % bid activity with the seller to be 80% and the second highest bidder z***t shows their bid activity with the seller to be 100%.Either both bidders are buying all or most of their stuff from only this one seller or possibly the seller has multiple accounts - bidding themselves to run the auction price up??

Z**t was me X)

In that case is the 100% bid activity shown correct?

Original Poster Banned

Toptrumpet

In that case is the 100% bid activity shown correct?

I have no idea what that is. This is the first time I have used ebay for years as stumbled across this jacket so needed to login. So if it's based on what you bid on, I guess it's correct as I haven't bid on anything else.

The only other thing I can suggest is to wait and look at sellers detailed feedback comments from the buyer and see if he gave a positive or negative feedback. Alternatively as suggested earlier get any sellers to upload the tag and care label (probably sewn in the pocket). The care label should show Ralph Lauren's address etc.

Original Poster Banned

farmeruk1

Lol. Just gone back to have a look at some of the stuff and realised the name of the site. JSB windows???

Original Poster Banned

OldEnglish

Mmmm. That's 100% fake btw. (_;)

It looks like a company by this name do exist, but they don't sell clothes!!

Dawsy

​do you have an email they will reply to you.. I've tried to report l … ​do you have an email they will reply to you.. I've tried to report listings and get a reply that they can't help...

I didn't mean to report the listing as such but ask them whether it was a current range for example.

If you suspect an Ebay listing is counterfeit you need to report the listing to Ebay.

OP,why don't you contact this seller as I previously mentioned,see what they get back to you with.

On this listing I just looked at it states this :

The garments in this listing are guaranteed to be authentic, and manufactured by ralph lauren . Do not hesitate to email for additional pictures of the item, or pictures of the store receipt to validate authenticity

Original Poster Banned

deb8z

OP,why don't you contact this seller as I previously mentioned,see what … OP,why don't you contact this seller as I previously mentioned,see what they get back to you with.On this listing I just looked at it states this :The garments in this listing are guaranteed to be authentic, and manufactured by ralph lauren . Do not hesitate to email for additional pictures of the item, or pictures of the store receipt to validate authenticity281509949413

I will see what they say. Thanks

MrScotchBonnet

I will see what they say. Thanks

It may show you whether it's an outlet only item.

Found this listing on eBay but forgot to add it to this thread. It's a different colour but the 4th picture shoes the RL size label and care label which is sewn into an inside pocket. The care label shows Made in Bangladesh but omits to show for Ralph Lauren and the Switzerland address as is usual.
    Can anyone else have a look and give their feedback on the labels for op please.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Decent Mp3 Player?89
      2. Anyone got a spare Argos 10% code from the Xbox Minecraft mistake?66
      3. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door22
      4. DVD storage22

See more discussions