Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Found insect in broccoli. What are my rights?

Posted 8th Dec 2021
Hi.
Dad bought some brocolli and we had it for dinner today.

The family were eating away when I got home and as I was plating my dinner noticed something in the water. I thought it was a leaf but its an insect of some sort.

I didn't have the brocolli, but what should we do. Mom and dad are feeling a bit queasy.

it was purchased from Lidl, and was a stalk of brocolli packed in cellophane. Product of origin in Spain.

Please see pic below.

Any ideas what this is?

Thanks for any advice.

3846310_1.jpg3846310_1.jpg3846310_1.jpg3846310_1.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
I imagine this is going to open a can of worms.
Some people are so wet.... Your rights lol
you've found a bug in a plant... the only "rights" you've got are bragging rights you got something extra from lidl
Hate to break it to ya.......

But there were four of them in there originally.
52 Comments
  1. Avatar
    No clue what it is but I’d imagine Lidl would refund you and maybe some small goodwill. It’s not too uncommon to find insects in vegetables.
  2. Avatar
    I imagine this is going to open a can of worms.
  3. Avatar
    There’s no way of knowing that the bug didn’t get introduced from your home once the broccoli was opened and cooked.
  4. Avatar
    that looks like a small alien

as said above, you are meant to wash the vegetables thoroughly before eating it. you are also meant to cook it thoroughly as well if it is brocili.

reminds me of when we went to a restaurant for a works do and the salad dish had a carterpilla in it. we complained to the manager and he let us off the food bill then a colleague asked if she could take the carterpilla home
  5. Avatar
    I found 2 very small snails in a Birds Eye bag of peas a couple of months back. I'm still here. Cant remember when I had a similar experience. Must be decades ago. Luck of the shop

Depends on your starting point. Trading Standards and the local PC brigade could rally behind this and make life a trifle difficult for Lidl if that's your wish but I notice you didn't say your preparation included washing fresh veg and that might well be the response you get from them. Standard advice is to wash veg.

If your dead in the morning, make sure someone knows of this.
  6. Avatar
    mutley108/12/2021 20:25

that looks like a small alien as said above, you are meant to wash the …that looks like a small alien as said above, you are meant to wash the vegetables thoroughly before eating it. you are also meant to cook it thoroughly as well if it is brocili.reminds me of when we went to a restaurant for a works do and the salad dish had a carterpilla in it. we complained to the manager and he let us off the food bill then a colleague asked if she could take the carterpilla home

I once complained about a weird thing in a pizza and they took a tenner off. On the receipt they'd written 'SOMETHING IN PIZZA'
  7. Avatar
    Im guessing earwig based on google images

Do hope you aren't veggie/vegan
  8. Avatar
    You do realise that is a protected species, you will be lucky not to be fined at the very least.
  9. Avatar
    You are at fault
  10. Avatar
    you've found a bug in a plant... the only "rights" you've got are bragging rights you got something extra from lidl
  11. Avatar
    It's a vegetable, and guess what insects live in and eat vegetables. Try soaking strawberries, blackberries or raspberries and see what crawls out.
  12. Avatar
    My mum taught me to always soak broccoli in salted water for a while before rinsing and cooking, that helps to bring out anything living in it.
  13. Avatar
    What are your rights?…

You found it, you keep it. Don’t let mum or dad tell you any different.
    Edited by: "cuzzy" 8th Dec
  14. Avatar
    You don’t want to get lettuce then, quite often have little bugs in them, especially in the summer! It nearly puts me off eating it
    Which also makes me wonder what a vegan would think about this type of thing, the amount of insects being killed as part of the fruit and veg cultivation process?
    Edited by: "darkovo" 8th Dec
  15. Avatar
    On a plus note, it seems they haven't plastered your broccoli with pesticides
  16. Avatar
    Some people are so wet.... Your rights lol
  17. Avatar
    You would get a refund. I have had it a few times, some bugs in a pack of strawberries and some weird mutant thing in an egg once.

Anyway, crushed insects are used to make a common food dye carmine or European Union food additive E120. Also, if I recall correctly - chocolate is allowed a certain element of insect remains which are the main pollinators..
  18. Avatar
    looks Spanish
  19. Avatar
    Hate to break it to ya.......

But there were four of them in there originally.
  20. Avatar
    Azwipe08/12/2021 20:41

It's a vegetable, and guess what insects live in and eat vegetables. Try …It's a vegetable, and guess what insects live in and eat vegetables. Try soaking strawberries, blackberries or raspberries and see what crawls out.

21. Avatar
    Your rights are you get to keep the insect unless its parents contact you and fight for custody.
  22. Avatar
    Your rights are a refund and an apology - you can’t expect any retailer to comb the contents of all fruit and veg for extras.

Look on the bright side - you didn’t eat it and mail online may pay you £100 to use your story.

Just make sure you’ve kept your receipt.
  23. Avatar
    No wonder so much of fruit & vegetables are wasted because they aren't perfectly shaped, given expectations / entitlements like this. OP should have celebrated getting extra protein with the vegetables.
  24. Avatar
    It's an earwig or a miniature dragon.

46342690-OPJYF.jpg
  25. Avatar
    You've most likely eaten quite a few bugs in your life without knowing considering just how well bugs can hide in veg. As already mentioned I expect your best bet would be to take it to a tabloid as this is shocking news to the sort of people who read them..
  26. Avatar
    It looks like an earwig - I am confident Lidl are covered as it will state on the packet to wash before use...
  27. Avatar
    I found a green piece of plastic in some Chorizo slices I bought from Aldi, and took it back for a refund. They got me to fill in a incident form, and later on they sent me £20 of vouchers...
  28. Avatar
    Author
    Thanks for the replies.

The veg was washed and cut before being cooked but the bug wasn't found.
    Wife's vegetarian so she felt a bit off when I showed it to her.
    Yes it looks like an earwig.
    Will see what the olds decide to do in the morning.
    It does look disgusting though and really puts u off your dinner.
  29. Avatar
    Sending thoughts and prayers x
  30. Avatar
    pKaTz08/12/2021 22:50

Thanks for the replies. The veg was washed and cut before being cooked but …Thanks for the replies. The veg was washed and cut before being cooked but the bug wasn't found. Wife's vegetarian so she felt a bit off when I showed it to her. Yes it looks like an earwig.Will see what the olds decide to do in the morning. It does look disgusting though and really puts u off your dinner.

Have it for lunch instead then.
  31. Avatar
    pKaTz08/12/2021 22:50

Thanks for the replies. The veg was washed and cut before being cooked but …Thanks for the replies. The veg was washed and cut before being cooked but the bug wasn't found. Wife's vegetarian so she felt a bit off when I showed it to her. Yes it looks like an earwig.Will see what the olds decide to do in the morning. It does look disgusting though and really puts u off your dinner.

I don't know what you're worried about. I once found half an insect in my dinner. At least you know where all of your insect is.
  32. Avatar
    joyf453608/12/2021 20:33

You do realise that is a protected species, you will be lucky not to be …You do realise that is a protected species, you will be lucky not to be fined at the very least.

Really?what type of bug is it?
  33. Avatar
    aLV42608/12/2021 22:22

It looks like an earwig - I am confident Lidl are covered as it will state …It looks like an earwig - I am confident Lidl are covered as it will state on the packet to wash before use...

Devil's coach horse, isn't it?

link
  34. Avatar
    Never grow calabrese then, you will find a lot of bugs in it.
    Btw you swallow flies, spiders etc while you sleep
  35. Avatar
    They won't charge you any extra?
  36. Avatar
    dxx08/12/2021 23:51

Devil's coach horse, isn't it? link

Similar but the Devil's Coachman (as I've always called it) is black and not as long as this.

Although your picture is of the larva so you could be right.
    Edited by: "xenophon" 22 h, 0 m ago
  37. Avatar
    ReecesWaffle9508/12/2021 20:17

No clue what it is but I’d imagine Lidl would refund you and maybe some s …No clue what it is but I’d imagine Lidl would refund you and maybe some small goodwill. It’s not too uncommon to find insects in vegetables.

I found a catapillar in my Asda raspberry’s so I rang them up. They asked me to bring it back and guess what!!! They gave me a exchange!!! F nothing else like an apology. They waisted my fuel too !
  38. Avatar
    Judging by the decayed wings and body shape and tail type.

I think its a Thrip.

46343958_1.jpg
    Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 21 h, 48 m ago
Post a comment
Top Merchants