Found out PS4 is stolen, what should I do?

Found 12th Feb 2016
Went to trade in my ps4 at cex, only to find out its stolen when they checked checkmend. they gave the console back and banned my cex account. What should i do?

EDIT: update, I have found the email correspondence when i sent an enquiry by email. I have the sellers mobile number, at it appears they sell cars for a living. hmmmm what to do.
Community Updates
AskPS4
56 Comments
Where did you buy it from?
Turn it over to the police, lose the console and face a barage of questions for your effort

or

Keep it to yourself and sell it privately.

Depends on your principals
hide and pray it all blows over. Otherwise you can get done for handling stolen goods (whether you knew or not) and nowadays Police are strict and might enter your house with a warrant to check all items incase they find more stolen good.

miikeyblue

Where did you buy it from?

gumtree, 18 months ago
stuarthanley

Turn it over to the police, lose the console and face a barage of … Turn it over to the police, lose the console and face a barage of questions for your effort orKeep it to yourself and sell it privately.Depends on your principals

**** it i'll use it as a dvd player
Was it the seller who reported it stolen to claim insurance?
developers

Was it the seller who reported it stolen to claim insurance?

No idea it's been over a year I don't have their details
keep it & i will keep an eye on the local rag for details of your handling stolen goods conviction

worth a laugh at your expense. You now know its stolen & if you keep it you are guilty full stop.
stuarthanley

Turn it over to the police, lose the console and face a barage of … Turn it over to the police, lose the console and face a barage of questions for your effort orKeep it to yourself and sell it privately.Depends on your principals

Think I'd go with half of the second option, and learn from it.
The cops are probably reading this post and your already busted
willhay555

Think I'd go with half of the second option, and learn from it.

same here.
I didnt know PS4s could show as being stolen on checkmend or anything? o.O
So you can still use it as a PS4? Just you no longer have a CEX account?
Meh, I'd just sell it on privately - I cant actually find anything that says theres a way to tell if a PS4 is reported stolen, only thing I found was it may be banned from going online? But I assume you would have had that problem if that was the case. I have to admit I'm not 100% behind what CEX are saying, from what you've posted.
bex85

I didnt know PS4s could show as being stolen on checkmend or anything? … I didnt know PS4s could show as being stolen on checkmend or anything? o.OSo you can still use it as a PS4? Just you no longer have a CEX account? Meh, I'd just sell it on privately - I cant actually find anything that says theres a way to tell if a PS4 is reported stolen, only thing I found was it may be banned from going online? But I assume you would have had that problem if that was the case. I have to admit I'm not 100% behind what CEX are saying, from what you've posted.

comes up stolen on check mend.
thecoolguy

comes up stolen on check mend.

Hmm, never knew they did anything other than phones/tablets!
Nor that you could check anywhere for anything else other than phones/tablets.
Learn something new every day. Will have to bear that in mind as I've bought and sold consoles off Gumtree many times before.
PSN don't actively ban stolen PS4 consoles so it looks like you're stuck with at least a working PS4 console. Did you get any paper trail with the purchase like an amazon invoice or receipt ?
kester76

PSN don't actively ban stolen PS4 consoles so it looks like you're stuck … PSN don't actively ban stolen PS4 consoles so it looks like you're stuck with at least a working PS4 console. Did you get any paper trail with the purchase like an amazon invoice or receipt ?

They bought it off gumtree
YouDontWantToKnow

They bought it off gumtree

I know but if I bought an console,phone or TV for £200+ I'd expect the original receipt or a printed purchase order.
It's never a good idea to buy from a Gumtree seller (or who knows) but since it's done, what firmware does it have? If it's below 2.xx then there could be a market of people interested to buy it. If it has like the latest, not a whole lot to do, I suppose.
My question is why would you sell stuff to CEX ? Why should they profit ? I always sell on gumtree and rather lose a few quid than sell to cex/game.
I'm actually surprised they sent it back to you as its logged as stolen
Bradleigh

I'm actually surprised they sent it back to you as its logged as stolen

They could also pass details onto the police, Unlikely but they could.
Gamer_U

It's never a good idea to buy from a Gumtree seller (or who knows) but … It's never a good idea to buy from a Gumtree seller (or who knows) but since it's done, what firmware does it have? If it's below 2.xx then there could be a market of people interested to buy it. If it has like the latest, not a whole lot to do, I suppose.

That's not the issue, it still works fine online etc. I could buy new housing from eBay for £20 as the serial number is only attached to the housing, and then trade it to cex with the new serial number on it. But morally it doesn't sound right
Edited by: "thecoolguy" 12th Feb 2016
my friends was stolen and was used online if the original owner had a logged with police and got the codes of sony as soon as you put it online it would of alerted sony and police and they would of came to your door. my friend got his back from doing this.
rochey2

my friends was stolen and was used online if the original owner had a … my friends was stolen and was used online if the original owner had a logged with police and got the codes of sony as soon as you put it online it would of alerted sony and police and they would of came to your door. my friend got his back from doing this.

Considering its almost been two years this is unlikely, I believe the original owner may have done insurance fraud?!
Edited by: "thecoolguy" 12th Feb 2016
thecoolguy

That's not the issue, it still works fine online etc. I could buy new … That's not the issue, it still works fine online etc. I could buy new housing from eBay for £20 as the serial number is only attached to the housing, and then trade it to cex with the new serial number on it. But morally it doesn't sound right

So that's a no. The seller you bought it from on Gumtree stole it and then sold it to you.

Hope for the best.
Gamer_U

So that's a no. The seller you bought it from on Gumtree stole it and … So that's a no. The seller you bought it from on Gumtree stole it and then sold it to you.Hope for the best.

Hi i still have the phone number of the person that sold it to me!
thecoolguy

Hi i still have the phone number of the person that sold it to me!

So tell the police and get your money back (_;)
Gamer_U

It's never a good idea to buy from a Gumtree seller (or who knows) but … It's never a good idea to buy from a Gumtree seller (or who knows) but since it's done, what firmware does it have? If it's below 2.xx then there could be a market of people interested to buy it. If it has like the latest, not a whole lot to do, I suppose.

what difference does firmware have to do with it? you getting this ps4 mixed up with hackable ps3's.

@op. only thing to do here is take it to the police. end of the day, its stolen. you might have bought it, but you don't actually own it. someone else does, the person who it was stolen from. how would you feel if it was stolen from you.

and if it turns out it is not stolen, and cex made a mistake. you will get it back
Edited by: "Deedie" 13th Feb 2016
also, you have to assume that the method of stealing this ps4 was breaking into the persons house. I'm pretty sure the house breaker didn't just walk in and see a ps4 and leave. they would have searched the whole house and stolen numerous small items like jewellery, cash etc. the total loss to the victim could run into the thousands of £'s. not to mention the mental trauma associated with victims of house breaking.

you taking the ps4 and phone number of seller and email correspondence to the police could mean that the same thing doesn't happen to anybody else for a while.
Deedie

not to mention the mental trauma associated with victims of house … not to mention the mental trauma associated with victims of house breaking.you taking the ps4 and phone number of seller and email correspondence to the police could mean that the same thing doesn't happen to anybody else for a while.

^^^^^ this 100%

you have an obligation to tell the police or face handling stolen property charges if reported but whether or not reported by cex you are still guilty of it unless you report it yourself
rang 101, police are gonna come take a statement tomorrow.
YouDontWantToKnow

^^^^^ this 100%you have an obligation to tell the police or face handling … ^^^^^ this 100%you have an obligation to tell the police or face handling stolen property charges if reported but whether or not reported by cex you are still guilty of it unless you report it yourself

you got down voted for this comment. I got down voted on the comment you quoted.

maybe the person who broke into the house is a hotukdeals member. if not, the person who clicked the down button is condoning their actions. that's quite worrying.

be a man and own up, and explain why you disagree with doing the right thing.
thecoolguy

good on you.

hopefully for your sake, and any potential victims, that its all been a mistake.
Edited by: "Deedie" 13th Feb 2016
Deedie

good on you. hopefully for your sake, and any potential victims, that its … good on you. hopefully for your sake, and any potential victims, that its all been a mistake.

googled the phone number and it appears they own a company and has address listed. results. should be an easy case for the police.
thecoolguy

googled the phone number and it appears they own a company and has … googled the phone number and it appears they own a company and has address listed. results. should be an easy case for the police.

whats the company, so we can all avoid it lol
thecoolguy

well done

its the right thing to do
sad people on hukds marking down & are in favour of handling stolen goods. Its a very sad state of affairs in todays society
YouDontWantToKnow

sad people on hukds marking down & are in favour of handling stolen … sad people on hukds marking down & are in favour of handling stolen goods. Its a very sad state of affairs in todays society

watch this comment get minus 15 negs by morning.
thecoolguy

And hopefully the insurance people that own it might let you buy it for £20 or something for being honest.
thecoolguy

Read through the comments you did the right thing cool guy there are alot of idiots on HUKD who really talk about stuff they really dont know.

Back a couple of years ago a friend managed to buy a pc for £800 in similar fashion he found out it had been stolen after wanting to exchange a graphics card, he did the right thing went to the police who took a statement, they confiscated it for 3months before returning it. The police also gave him a letter for game who reinstated his reward account
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants