Fredompop not free anymore

Found 29th Jun
Plan Change Alert

We hope you are enjoying your FreedomPop service and want to inform you of upcoming changes to your plan. Due to an increase in fraud and abuse, the 200 Basic Free plan will be replaced by the upgraded new Essential plan which consists of 5x more data, 1GB per month with the same 200 minutes / 200 sms. The price of the new value Essential plan will be just £3.49 per month.

If you don't take any action by July 29th, your will account be enrolled in new Essential plan. If you do not wish to continue with this plan, please change to any other plan or cancel your account by July 29th. Your account can be accessed by logging onto the FreedomPop site
Community Updates
Misc
30 Comments
Its a shame but could have understood and possibly considered staying with them. But the lies and dodgy auto-enrolment are shameful.
Fraud and abuse?

They offered the service free, and people have used it I guess. How is that fraud and abuse?!
Maybe they aren't making as much money as they original thought, by selling off people's data to 3rd parties. And now they have to charge for the service.

Or maybe they planned a paid service right from the very start
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell5 m ago

Maybe they aren't making as much money as they original thought, by …Maybe they aren't making as much money as they original thought, by selling off people's data to 3rd parties. And now they have to charge for the service.Or maybe they planned a paid service right from the very start

Freedompop US is still free, so it was a uk issue.

Good post from 1D1F on MSE
"Got the same email. Major blow, as I run two occasional use phones on it. Guess it was always too good to be true. Though implying we're 'fraudsters' and 'abusers' leaves a bad taste!
The people who run the UK operation just did a poor job enticing users onto paid plans. I might have paid a small sub for a small data plan, but the dreadful quality of their phone service was always a turn off. Maybe GDPR is a factor in this, as they probably can't now send offers to monetise us.
Lets hope it doesn't give Three ideas, as their free 200gb a month data sim must have been influenced by FPop."
I have a couple of free freedom pop sim cards which i use for registering on website who i don't want to give out my normal number or things like insurance quotes and ebay.

Anyway been enjoying it being free, don't use it much and as it connects via a 3g connection or wifi the free service doesn't make calls via the normal way most mobile calls do as its basically a SIP/internet call.

So tonight i get the following which basically says pay £3.49 or cancel.. nice bit of notice.:
Same thing here! Due to fraud lol, it's the only reason people joined them in the first place! I'm cancelling my SIM, app was a useless VOIP one - will be using 3 Data Rewards instead.
Cancelling mine, app was terrible. 3 Data Rewards it is!
I'm going to pay the £3.49. I use fpop sim in spare phone as different network too main phone and as a sat nav. Can never understand how they can offer for free anyway.
Edited by: "wayners" 30th Jun
fraud and abuse
Didn’t know about the free Three Data Sim so will grab that instead.

Seems that not everyone has got the email yet. I have a few friends that use them but non of them have had the email yet.

Wondering if they are just testing the water I submitted a ticket for a bit of clarification
wayners3 h, 9 m ago

I'm going to pay the £3.49. I use fpop sim in spare phone as different …I'm going to pay the £3.49. I use fpop sim in spare phone as different network too main phone and as a sat nav. Can never understand how they can offer for free anyway.

ID mobile is only £3.99 but they offer genuine calls and texts not free minutes over the internet which ive found pretty hopeless.
davidian8414 h, 29 m ago

Its a shame but could have understood and possibly considered staying with …Its a shame but could have understood and possibly considered staying with them. But the lies and dodgy auto-enrolment are shameful.

The missing offending letter seems to lack a statement to express, unless you enrol to new essential plan, your service will auto-terminate.

Another key piece of missing info, is that do you need to install that Freedompop App for new £3.49 plan?
davidian8418 m ago

ID mobile is only £3.99 but they offer genuine calls and texts not free …ID mobile is only £3.99 but they offer genuine calls and texts not free minutes over the internet which ive found pretty hopeless.

I was thinking that, but the £3.49 plan offers 1GB data whereas ID's only offers 500mb. If you want more data over minutes, FreedomPop is the better deal.
jamie01516 m ago

I was thinking that, but the £3.49 plan offers 1GB data whereas ID's only …I was thinking that, but the £3.49 plan offers 1GB data whereas ID's only offers 500mb. If you want more data over minutes, FreedomPop is the better deal.

I dont think you can say a better deal its completely different. Currently it has advertising, internet calls instead of normal calls, and a very poor internet by comparison. Plus they seem like a dishonest company. But obviously its different for everyone and suits different peoples needs
Edited by: "davidian84" 30th Jun
davidian8414 m ago

I dont think you can say a better deal its completely different. Currently …I dont think you can say a better deal its completely different. Currently it has advertising, internet calls instead of normal calls, and a very poor internet by comparison. Plus they seem like a dishonest company. But obviously its different for everyone and suits different peoples needs

It is a better deal if people use data only. I use my SIM in a dual SIM phone and keep the FreedomPop SIM for data only (the other for calls).
Anyone remember Ovivo mobile lol. I got a good two years out of them and I remembered they kept increasing the allowances every few months lol
34197401.jpgTrying 4 times now…
Edited by: "sisqoboy2" 30th Jun
This is so awful. If you don't cancel there is a fee £3.xy… I could vomit
sisqoboy211 m ago

[Image] Trying 4 times now…

I managed to cancel earlier on.
Can they legally start charging people without permission as presumably no one ever agreed to pay for the service?
Benjimoron36 m ago

Can they legally start charging people without permission as presumably no …Can they legally start charging people without permission as presumably no one ever agreed to pay for the service?

They are giving reasonable notice. I assume there would have been something about raising prices in the terms and conditions agreed when signing up.
Edited by: "jamie015" 30th Jun
sisqoboy249 m ago

This is so awful. If you don't cancel there is a fee £3.xy… I could vomit

Try removing your payment details. I used a prepaid card which has since expired. Never had to pay for FreedomPop as I got the SIM card free too.
toyota18 h, 52 m ago

Anyone remember Ovivo mobile lol. I got a good two years out of them and I …Anyone remember Ovivo mobile lol. I got a good two years out of them and I remembered they kept increasing the allowances every few months lol

Ovivo was the absolute best network - completely free, never saw an ad, and allowances constantly increasing. Shame Vodafone screwed them over, just like they do to all taxpayers.
Anyone remember Ovivo mobile ?
zworld1st Jul

Anyone remember Ovivo mobile ?

Anyone read earlier posts
jouster53 m ago

Anyone read earlier posts

Both posts were made at the same time, so I didn't see the other one.
zworld34 m ago

Both posts were made at the same time, so I didn't see the other one.

No it was the day before
just to update.

Had clarification from FreedomPop that everyone will eventually get the email I did and those using the sims more heavily than others will find out first.

I cancelled the two sim we had in our house and the two my parents used when they came over from Spain the U.K. (which they no longer need with free roaming in Europe anyway).

Just required a few clicks on the site once signed in and an email pops up in your inbox shortly after.
Edited by: "jouster" 10th Jul
any alternative app only out there.. basically i want an app on my phone to give me a 2nd number either for free or very little
kiefer35 m ago

any alternative app only out there.. basically i want an app on my phone …any alternative app only out there.. basically i want an app on my phone to give me a 2nd number either for free or very little

You can use Sipgate with Zoiper, but only receiving calls is free, not making them. Otherwise you can get a Three data rewards SIM and make calls over WhatsApp for free if not on WiFi, or use WhatsCall (which lets you pay for calls by watching ads).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants