Expired

free advice for not to get caught in a scamish procedure

Found 16th May
recently i had applied for paypal credit, within two month i was charged for late payment fee as i am forgetful and could not manage to apply for direct debit, each time i tried a generic error try later , was appearing, after few attempt in few dais i forgot once again.

this month after calling an operator i discovered that the link for set up a direct debit in the first page only work if you have activated something else that is tree click away not so obvious to spot.

operator told me is may foult as procedure is explained in terms and condition, and we are obliged to read it !!

yes of course!!! a legal scam!!

here is the mail i sent to the financial ombusman.

I am writing regarding a subtle procedure paypal credit is using to rip off clients. on the landing page of make a payment of paypal credit paypal.com/mya…dit there is a link for set up a direct debit but once filled the form it will give an error like , "our server do not work try later " , I tried this procedure few ties within a week , then forgotten again. this happen to me twice in 2 month after I received the mail that been charged £12+12 for late payment. Finally called them as in tree days I could not manage to set up a direct debit. operator told me that is a two step procedure, and the link in the first page is the second step, the first step to activate a direct debit is tree click away from the main page. so I complained why did not tell me anywhere? she replayed it is wrote in the agreement , it is my responsibility. the scamish procedure lie in the fact that the link in the very first page for a direct debit setup, the one you naturally would click, is the second step and instead of telling you that something else has to be activated, it give you a generic error and tell you to try later, of course busy people with other in mind will forgot in few days of try and paypal will charge thousands, as will be impossible for an average man to fight such a subtle scam. is fraudulently in my opinion as the error given you in the very first page is an generic server error, not mentioning that something else is not have been set up, not to mention the fact that why a second step is on the very first page , while the first step is 3 click away. it is impossible to verify is done on purpose, that is why i ask you to step in , you could ask freedom act how many of first user later payment are before a direct debit is set up , i think that figure will tell you something. Kind regards.
Community Updates
Top comments
lol at legal scam. Why aren't some people willing to accept a bit of personal responsibility these days?

I'm surprised paypal could understand what you were trying to ask them. I gave up after the second sentence.
Edited by: "chocci" 16th May
How is it PayPal's fault that you failed to pay them, and then after trying to pay them online and not being able to you just gave up and failed to pay them again? Why wouldn't you have phoned them in the first instance? And why is it PayPal's fault that you didn't read your documents?
22 Comments
@boecima Moved from Deals to MISC
cant believe that people are expected to read t+c in this day and age
How is it PayPal's fault that you failed to pay them, and then after trying to pay them online and not being able to you just gave up and failed to pay them again? Why wouldn't you have phoned them in the first instance? And why is it PayPal's fault that you didn't read your documents?
brilly4 m ago

I know. I mean, do they expect us to fully understand stuff we're willing to put our names to? Is it not just free money?
Oh... And we've used PayPal credit. Never had an issue setting up payment, found it incredibly straight forward. You've just got to read the questions they ask...
lol at legal scam. Why aren't some people willing to accept a bit of personal responsibility these days?

I'm surprised paypal could understand what you were trying to ask them. I gave up after the second sentence.
Edited by: "chocci" 16th May
deleted396333
Thank God this was free.
Regardless of whatever the terms and conditions say, you know that you borrowed money and had to pay it back so it;s simple just make sure you do, if you can't set up a direct debit then contact them to get it sorted and pay them via an alternative method until it's resolved! The only fault here lies with you!
I'm sorry, I gave up reading after four lines (gave up, fell asleep or passed out through hypoxia through holding my breath waiting for a stop to Breathe).

I think you're email must impress anyone who reads it. Always read T&C's - - terms and conditions. I explain that so you can't accuse me of misleading or scamming (2 M's) you.

If you are not sure what you are signing then don't sign. Simples.
What a load of twaddle. At least the ombudsman will have something to use as a firelighter.
brilly3 h, 53 m ago

Tbf, I'm not sure that the OP can read. They certainly can't write.
deleted79467
will google translate work on this ?
deleted7946716th May

not a chance. Is in no known language
The process is stated in the terms, your ineptitude does not constitute a fault on the part of the company, it’s a fault solely on you, by signing up to the service you agreed to the terms and those were clearly stated in accordance with financial regulations and uk/eu law. The supplier stated they would charge you if you failed to make payments and have because you failed to work out how to pay them which you agreed to do by signing up, so where is the scam in that?

I’d say that your attempting to scam the company by trying to make a claim against a company due to your ineptitude....
One I the paper similar to this the other day, guy an accountant supposedly,was bring kicked out of his home st the age of 70+ because for years he was on an interest only mortgage and was well past the age where banks won’t lend. His excuse was he was not aware he would have to pay his mortgage off!!! People are so stupid, always someone else fault.
Edited by: "eslick" 16th May
On every credit agreement I've ever seen, there is a little box you have to tick that says you've read and understood the terms and conditions.....
You can't complain to the ombudsman before having tried to complaint directly to the company and waited for their response / investigate.
The OP posted this as a deal as well.
Bit of advice for you, close your PayPal credit account, you struggle with the basics of process and technology, the internet is not for you.
@boecima , you did a brilliant action, I wish more people like you do this (contact the authorities). I wonder who analyse all these consumer complaints and identify patterns of abuse of some people using complex and confusing terms and procecures, devise new law to control businessmen in this complex digital age.

1. We all know in a class at school that there are dim ones and there are bright ones, there are methodical ones and there are careless ones. It is nothing wrong with being dim or being bright, methodical or careless, it is a fact of life and mathematical outcome in a statistical normal distribution. If a process fails 5%-10%, say, of its users, whether or not that they are thick or smart, means a failure in executives' intellectual ability in providing ergonomics, end-user friendliness for the entire population

2. However, yet the business executives sign-off and deliver contract terms and end-user interfaces that few ever read or able to comprehend in legalise and contractual terms (as evidenced by how many people just click "yes" to the terms without reading, some, ittle or all of the contract terms) nor able to click intuitively like a grammar school "11+ entrance exam" end user interfaces with 100% score every time (especially for the people who are older, have visual impairment, click buttons which are not obvious, drop down boxes with misleading or too small text... all user interface issues.

3. I am not sure to each extent 1. and 2. applies to your specific case, however, we are open minded, if one person makes a case of a problem statement, then nothing happens is probably the outcome, on the other hand, if hundreds to thousands make a case individually, then we have a huge problem with this company's process of management, no matter whether the people are thick or smart, lazy or diligent, the fact that large numbers cannot cope could mean that tens of thousands more are affected. A classic case is Brexit , without getting into politics, we have a large enough percentage of people in our population who are unable, dim or smart, careless or methodical, to determine the meaning and consequence of "£350 million pledge to fund the NHS". One questions how many could even understand the consequence of what they click on the hundreds of screens daily with 100% success rate.
deleted7946716th May

You could be exceptionally stupid if your manager caught you using Google translate when you received a customer complaint letter.

(Addendum: the name "Google Translate" indicates what it says on the tin, it does machine translation, it does not do comprehension.)
psychobitchfromhell16th May

not a chance. Is in no known language

Edited by: "splender" 18th May
splender56 m ago

You could be exceptionally stupid if your manager caught you using Google …You could be exceptionally stupid if your manager caught you using Google translate when you received a customer complaint letter.(Addendum: the name "Google Translate" indicates what it says on the tin, it does machine translation, it does not do comprehension.)

33817955-7qNHp.jpg
Do apologise for my hypoxia-ing writing, definitely not good at that. but I`ll like to update you, believer and not, that I won and paypal apologised, refunded me my money plus "legal" expenses. They told it was an exceptional case and were glad I found this bug so now they can rectify it. Bye.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants