Free antivirus

Found 11th Jan
Hi all.

My Norton is about to expire. What is the best free antivirus available?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskSoftware & Apps
21 Comments
deleted1597344
If you have Windows 10 then no need to use anything other than Windows Defender.
Original Poster
Sorry forgot to say. Windows 7 and android devices.
Panda free is ok. Windows defender doesn’t protect against very much.
loads of free. avg avast Kaspersky
I have spybot search and destroy installed on all computers and laptops. I’ve used it for years and swear by it. It’s free or you can donate. Choose the safer networks download link without adds. It has always sorted out my issues up to now. On new pcs you can do a whitelist immediately prior to internet access. Have a look at it it seems to pick up on malware and adware issues that normal virus stuff doesn’t..
discozohan23 m ago

Barclays were giving their customers free kaspersky but have now said they will stop offering it as it could be used by the Russians to spy. They'd be bored with my account!!
Pretty much tried them all over the years, last 5 years have been using Windows own, never had a problem, Defender for Win10 (Built in) and Microsoft Security Essentials for 7 and 8.

Download - microsoft.com/en-…201
All the security podcasts that I have listened to say trust Microsoft. They are best placed to understand and implement virus protection. 3rd party virus software might.. I say might...Have vulnerabilities yet to be exploited.Virus software sits deep in the operating system so you need to be confident that it's secure and doesn't open another gate to a possible attack..
ESET for Android (be sure to unsub from the newsletters etc) has kept me safe for years and always alerted to crapware that came pre-installed on cheap Chinese phones.

For Windows AVAST does the job without constantly nagging you about upgrading to a paid version + Malwarebytesfor the occasional manual scan for adware.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 11th Jan
discozohan55 m ago

Avg sells your history, Kaspensky goodness know what they do Avast on your list is a good one but Avira is better.
markozzy41 m ago

I have spybot search and destroy installed on all computers and laptops. …I have spybot search and destroy installed on all computers and laptops. I’ve used it for years and swear by it. It’s free or you can donate. Choose the safer networks download link without adds. It has always sorted out my issues up to now. On new pcs you can do a whitelist immediately prior to internet access. Have a look at it it seems to pick up on malware and adware issues that normal virus stuff doesn’t..

Spybot is not an antivirus it's just anti mal/adware.
You still want a proper av then run programs like spybot on a schedule or every so often.
zirk39 m ago

Pretty much tried them all over the years, last 5 years have been using …Pretty much tried them all over the years, last 5 years have been using Windows own, never had a problem, Defender for Win10 (Built in) and Microsoft Security Essentials for 7 and 8.Download - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5201

What he said, small footprint, lite on resources and does the job well. Knowledge is power, if you know how you get them in the first place then it's easy to avoid them.

If you're installing iffy software then invest in Sandboxie as well.
discozohan1 h, 59 m ago

The question was "which is best"
Avast. Comes as number 1 in a lot of reviews as best free antivirus and also uses very little resources so it doesn't affect PC performace.
Another vote for Avast, have used it for at least the last 5 years.
As well as an AV download malware bytes and run a scan weekly. Free version is fine.
dont bother about mobile devices. no such thing as viruses on android (and iOS) if you dont download dodgy apps, and even if so....
anyone that says differently needs to learn what sandboxing is
I've been using Avast for at least 6 years and as others have said it uses few resources and doesn't slow down performance unlike AVG which I found to be a huge drain.
Sophos Home is absolutely no nags, not sure if it's the strongest though, the last tests I recall were not among the top

Avast and Avira free are worth a look

Bitdefender Free, (full is a consistent top scorer at av-test)
Copy & paste from Which?

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition £0.00 75%

LAUNCHED SEP 2017 REVIEWED NOV 2017

Which? verdict Best Buy protection - for nothing

Want to protect your computer from malware for free? Well, Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition could be right up your street. In our testing, it easily dealt with ransomware, but can free security software really offer as good protection as a package you pay for? Find out in our Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition review.

Similar excellent protection to paid package, a Best Buy for free

Lacks more premium features, limited support options, only protects one PC

This proves you don't have to pay to get Bitdefender's fantastic security protection. If you want to safeguard your PC from threats at no cost, get Bitdefender Free Antivirus.

What is it?

It is a basic antivirus software package from Romanian cyber security firm, Bitdefender, that's designed to protect your PC from malware for free.

How well will I be protected?

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition expertly eliminates online threats. It doesn't bother you with confusing messages, nor does it quarantine files that are actually safe. As well as dealing with Windows malware we threw at it, the software also coped admirably with Mac and Android nasties, too. Even though it doesn't claim to have an anti-ransomware feature, it still easily dealt with the ransomware we threw at it. The anti-phishing protection is slightly better on the paid package but, apart from that, the free version is just as good in terms of safeguarding your computer from threats.

What's it like to use?

The fact that there aren't many features in Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is actually a help when it comes to how easy it is to use. While Bitdefender Internet Security has a rather cluttered user interface, the free version benefits from a very clear, simple and clean menu system that is logical to navigate.

Is there anything I should watch out for?

So, why bother with the paid package? Well, with the free edition you miss out on a number of things. You can only protect one PC and, while you do get strong phishing protection, that's pretty much it in terms of features. There's no password manager or safe banking browser. Support is also limited just to online and live chat options.

Is there anything else I should know?

If you have Windows 10 on your PC, you are probably wondering if Bitdefender is worth having over Defender. Although we don't give Windows 10 Defender a score, we have tested it and can confirm that Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition provides a better level of protection. You don't get tools for speeding up your PC, but these are available elsewhere.

Should I install it?

If all your want is basic protection for one PC, Bitdefender's free edition scores the same as Norton and Trend Micro Best Buys, but costs nothing. Plus, downloading Bitdefender is better than just relying on Windows Defender alone.
Avast Free Antivirus 2018
£0.00
72%
LAUNCHED SEP 2017 REVIEWED NOV 2017

Which? verdict Good malware protection for a free package
Avast Free Antivirus 2018 offers a basic level of malware protection for your PC, at no cost. It can handle the dreaded ransomware without breaking sweat, but what's its overall protection like? Can you really rely on a free software package to keep your PC safe? Get all you need to know in our Avast Free Antivirus review.
Solid online malware protection, doesn't slow down your PC (what we call 'use of resources'), excellent at dealing with ransomware
Limited to just online support, feature-light
Although Bitdefender's free antivirus package scores higher, Avast's free version is a solid back up choice. It lacks features, but offers good protection for your PC for free.

What is it?
It's the free antivirus package from Czech cyber-security giant, Avast Software. Install it, and you can protect one PC for no cost. It offers basic protection against malware and viruses, but not much else in terms of features.
How well will I be protected?
It more than adequately protects your PC. The online protection it offers is fantastic and, while you can pay extra for a 'ransomware protection' feature, we're not sure why you would need to as the package aced our ransomware tests. It doesn't pester you with confusing messages, and doesn't quarantine files that are actually legitimate. It doesn't quite get full marks, however. It struggled a little dealing with Mac and Android malware, and didn't complete blitz our phishing tests. Overall, though, it offers an adequate level of protection.
What's it like to use?
It's a fairly clean and simple to use system. Messages flagging up required actions are easy to understand. However, during the installation process the package didn't automatically add all browser extensions, and so we had to re-install them manually. It's not the end of the world, just a little annoying.
Is there anything I should watch out for?
Avast free has anti-spyware and anti-phishing protection, and unusually for a free package, it also offers a tool for you to store and manage your passwords. There isn't much else in terms of features. We test antivirus packages for how much space they take up on your computer and how much they slow it down, and Avast did well on both counts.
Is there anything else I should know?
It supports all versions of Windows right back to Windows XP (although, we'd urge anyone on XP to upgrade as it is no longer supported by Microsoft). The package lacks a firewall features, but it does offer a network scanner.
Should I install it?
Yes. If all you want is basic protection for your PC and aren't fussed about getting lots of features or support for more devices, Avast Free Antivirus is well worth a look.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants