Posted 1st Feb 2022
Hi can you please advise me whats the best totally free antivirus software available and how do i get it

Tia
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
The one built in to windows assuming you have a recent version?
15 Comments
  1. Avatar
  2. Avatar
    groenleader01/02/2022 09:03

very true, i use to have antivirus, spyware blaster and ccleaner all installed now with win 11 only have windows built in software.
  3. Avatar
    With so many devices around you need to tell us what platform (Windows, Android phone, tablet, even a Mac)

Assuming Windows 10 or 11 then the security built in to Windows is probably enough for most people.

Click the "Shield" (Windows Security) on the Windows task bar in the bottom right and when it opens you will see all the security available.
  4. Avatar
    I have only used the inbuilt windows one for years now on both mine and my children's machines.
  5. Avatar
    Use Kaspersky Free and it has been problem free for the past 4 years.
  6. Avatar
    Author
    guilbert5301/02/2022 09:47

With so many devices around you need to tell us what platform (Windows, …With so many devices around you need to tell us what platform (Windows, Android phone, tablet, even a Mac)Assuming Windows 10 or 11 then the security built in to Windows is probably enough for most people.Click the "Shield" (Windows Security) on the Windows task bar in the bottom right and when it opens you will see all the security available.

Sorry laptop
  7. Avatar
    Author
    guilbert5301/02/2022 09:47

With so many devices around you need to tell us what platform (Windows, …With so many devices around you need to tell us what platform (Windows, Android phone, tablet, even a Mac)Assuming Windows 10 or 11 then the security built in to Windows is probably enough for most people.Click the "Shield" (Windows Security) on the Windows task bar in the bottom right and when it opens you will see all the security available.

How do i access tje windows one
  8. Avatar
    steveo7301/02/2022 11:30

How do i access tje windows one

Lots of different ways

You can go to the Windows menu in the bottom left (click on the Windows icon which opens the menu).
    Then click on "Windows Security" on the menu

Or in the search field in the bottom left type "Windows Security" and the icon for the Windows Security App will appear on the left and just click on it.

Or click the small "Shield" (Windows Security) on the Windows task bar in the bottom right of the screen and when it opens you will see all the security available.
  9. Avatar
    All security tools are meaningless without proper user education. Please invest some time in this as well especially with people who trust anything quickly.
  10. Avatar
    Avast? avast.com

Up to you if it meets your needs..
    Edited by: "optrex10" 1st Feb
  11. Avatar
    Used Avast free for the last 15 years and no issues.
  12. Avatar
    I use malwarebytes. Free version is scan as you want which is useful as doesn't hog resources. But I also have full version from NatWest as above
  13. Avatar
    You don’t need a third party anti virus unless you don’t connect to the internet to get updates for Windows Security and if you don’t connect to the internet, the liklihood is you won’t get a virus.

Malwarebytes is good for malware.
    Edited by: "2minutenoodles" 1st Feb
  14. Avatar
    While Avast/AVG (same company) are good products, they have a chequered past as well - they were caught selling user data a couple of years ago, which, while supposedly anonymous, was accurate enough to be trackable with access to logs.
Post a comment