Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Free call recording app for the Huawei Honor 8X phone?

Posted 20th Jan
Hello, I need to record a call that I will be making and need to install an app on my Huawei Honor 8X phone. I've googled up about this and the Automatic Call Recorder (ACR) app has been suggested. However, on reading the reviews, a lot of people are saying that when listening back to the recording, they can hear themselves, but not the other person speaking. Can anybody please recommend an app that does work properly? Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
I’m pretty sure on newer version of Android google disabled the ability for call recording apps to work? Not sure what version you’re running on however
It says Android 8.2 on the phone description and I bought the phone a few months ago from Argos.
Sophiasky20/01/2020 21:45

It says Android 8.2 on the phone description and I bought the phone a few …It says Android 8.2 on the phone description and I bought the phone a few months ago from Argos.

That was the description on Argos, however, I've just checked on my phone and it says EMUI version 9.1.0 and Android version 9.
No problem with the need to do it but hope you are aware you would be breaking the law if this was done without the the fully informed consent of all parties. Then there's the minor inconvenience about being completely unable to use it without same.
ccnp20/01/2020 21:53

No problem with the need to do it but hope you are aware you would be …No problem with the need to do it but hope you are aware you would be breaking the law if this was done without the the fully informed consent of all parties. Then there's the minor inconvenience about being completely unable to use it without same.

It depends on the intention of use after the recording exists, &/or whether it is an individual or a business making the original recording.

If it is personal use & listening to the recorded audio is restricted to you for your own personal interests (to recall information within the call, for example) then the existence of the recording is only a civil matter with possible damages incurred for a breach of privacy.

If, however, the recording is shared with a third party (or made available for sale), without the consent of all the parties present on the telephone call, then the existence of the recording is a criminal matter.
I work freelance for a market research company and they have given me an assignment to do where I have to call a Customer Services Department at a place of Education and ask two questions about courses, etc. The market research company then want to see how the Customer Services Officer/person who I talk to, responds. I work freelance for other market research companies as well, and when I have recorded phone work to do, they have their own system which I can use, however, the first company have told me to use my own phone call recording system. I think that I will have to call this company tomorrow and say what people have said about it possibly being a criminal matter due to a breach of privacy.
Recording Apps that record both sides of a conversation off your phone are now illegal to use in the UK.

Best you could do is attached a recording MIC devise to the phone but that is still illegal too unless the other party is recording yours. .
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 20th Jan
Sophiasky20/01/2020 22:28

I work freelance for a market research company and they have given me an …I work freelance for a market research company and they have given me an assignment to do where I have to call a Customer Services Department at a place of Education and ask two questions about courses, etc. The market research company then want to see how the Customer Services Officer/person who I talk to, responds. I work freelance for other market research companies as well, and when I have recorded phone work to do, they have their own system which I can use, however, the first company have told me to use my own phone call recording system. I think that I will have to call this company tomorrow and say what people have said about it possibly being a criminal matter due to a breach of privacy.

It could be a civil matter; not criminal. Re-read what I typed above.

In your capacity as a freelance resource, do you offer your services through an intermediary organisation (such as a recruiter, or an umbrella/payroll processing Company), you own (Limited) Company, or direct to the Market Research Company?

I work freelance for a market research company and they have given me an …I work freelance for a market research company and they have given me an assignment to do where I have to call a Customer Services Department at a place of Education and ask two questions about courses, etc. The market research company then want to see how the Customer Services Officer/person who I talk to, responds. I work freelance for other market research companies as well, and when I have recorded phone work to do, they have their own system which I can use, however, the first company have told me to use my own phone call recording system. I think that I will have to call this company tomorrow and say what people have said about it possibly being a criminal matter due to a breach of privacy.

If the company provides the hardware and mechanism for call recording then you should be able to negate personal responsibility. This could be achieved by being permitted to remotely access the company's outbound call system, where presumably that system may state a disclaimer prior to contacts discussing subject matter.
I'm going to decline the work seeing that the company are not providing me with their own recording system. Thank you all anyway for your advice.

deleted1781220/01/2020 22:40

It could be a civil matter; not criminal. Re-read what I typed above.In …It could be a civil matter; not criminal. Re-read what I typed above.In your capacity as a freelance resource, do you offer your services through an intermediary organisation (such as a recruiter, or an umbrella/payroll processing Company), you own (Limited) Company, or direct to the Market Research Company?

AndyRoyd20/01/2020 22:44

If the company provides the hardware and mechanism for call recording then …If the company provides the hardware and mechanism for call recording then you should be able to negate personal responsibility. This could be achieved by being permitted to remotely access the company's outbound call system, where presumably that system may state a disclaimer prior to contacts discussing subject matter.

...For one of the two Companies; yes.

The other ("the first"), however, has instructed @Sophiasky to use their own recording system. Hence why I queried the nature of the engagement of the services to fulfil the duties of the assignment.
Sophiasky20/01/2020 22:52

I'm going to decline the work seeing that the company are not providing me …I'm going to decline the work seeing that the company are not providing me with their own recording system. Thank you all anyway for your advice.

You could just make the parties you call aware that the call is being recorded, & ask their acceptance before continuing.

If they decline, move on to the next number in your call log.
39724357-QVVa1.jpg
It appears I was talking to myself, or being ignored.
From Android 8 onwards ACR apps do not work. It affects a lot of Market Research/Mystery Shopping call related jobs.
Sophiasky20/01/2020 22:52

I'm going to decline the work seeing that the company are not providing me …I'm going to decline the work seeing that the company are not providing me with their own recording system. Thank you all anyway for your advice.

You could actually do the work from the internal phones of the company. No doubt the employees have been told they would be recorded for quality & marketing purposes.
cicobuff20/01/2020 23:11

From Android 8 onwards ACR apps do not work. It affects a lot of Market …From Android 8 onwards ACR apps do not work. It affects a lot of Market Research/Mystery Shopping call related jobs.

Err, it does. Sorry. But it doesn't work work automatically now on the app I user. I now have to enable it each time I want to use it.
As for the legality, someone said it is now illegal to record both sides of a conversation. B'llocks I say, And I'll argue it in court. When you phone any company thay say they record calls 'for training (yeah, right) and quality (does customer service every improve?) purposes.
All I do, to cover my own back is, as their recording tells me they record the call, I tell it that I record the call too. Not my fault if they are too lazy or tight to employ a human to answer a call - after all how do they know/ can they prove that I heard their recorded voice telling me they are recording it? I have a recording of me telling them that I am recording it. And they answered the phone. It worked with a large media organisation when they lied to me about what they said earlier. I told them I recorded it, they said you can't, I said "I have a recording of me warning you that I'm going to, after you answered my call". They backed down!!
Ringfinger20/01/2020 23:33

Err, it does. Sorry. But it doesn't work work automatically now on the …Err, it does. Sorry. But it doesn't work work automatically now on the app I user. I now have to enable it each time I want to use it. As for the legality, someone said it is now illegal to record both sides of a conversation. B'llocks I say, And I'll argue it in court. When you phone any company thay say they record calls 'for training (yeah, right) and quality (does customer service every improve?) purposes. All I do, to cover my own back is, as their recording tells me they record the call, I tell it that I record the call too. Not my fault if they are too lazy or tight to employ a human to answer a call - after all how do they know/ can they prove that I heard their recorded voice telling me they are recording it? I have a recording of me telling them that I am recording it. And they answered the phone. It worked with a large media organisation when they lied to me about what they said earlier. I told them I recorded it, they said you can't, I said "I have a recording of me warning you that I'm going to, after you answered my call". They backed down!!

I am going by what Android state....and that is ACR does not work any more...I certainly have only gotten silence when trying to manually record in the apps I have tried....I would be interested knowing what works now...I am on Android 10.
cicobuff21/01/2020 00:05

I am going by what Android state....and that is ACR does not work any …I am going by what Android state....and that is ACR does not work any more...I certainly have only gotten silence when trying to manually record in the apps I have tried....I would be interested knowing what works now...I am on Android 10.

It doesn't work now & hasn't for about 9 months unless you have disabled all updates on your phone.
Willy_Wonka21/01/2020 00:07

It doesn't work now & hasn't for about 9 months unless you have disabled …It doesn't work now & hasn't for about 9 months unless you have disabled all updates on your phone.

My new phone has never supported it, it started out on Android 9 and is now on 10.
cicobuff21/01/2020 00:14

My new phone has never supported it, it started out on Android 9 and is …My new phone has never supported it, it started out on Android 9 and is now on 10.

Bought an S8 about 18 months ago & installed ACR & all was fine until ACR told me they couldnt recorded anymore about 8 months ago.

I only installed ACR on the advice of the police but it doesn't work anymore. One way recording only (ie your voice outbound).

Pretty sure it is now banned across the board.
Here you go, this works perfectly in emui 9 and integrates with the stock call interface. I've been using it for a few months now. I thought I'd give you a working solution rather than just bickering back and forth like the rest of the thread...

xda-developers.com/huawei-honor-emui-9-call-recording/amp/
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 21st Jan
cicobuff21/01/2020 00:05

I am going by what Android state....and that is ACR does not work any …I am going by what Android state....and that is ACR does not work any more...I certainly have only gotten silence when trying to manually record in the apps I have tried....I would be interested knowing what works now...I am on Android 10.

Apologies, Just checked on my new phonesends it's not working. Still working on my old phone, but updates are off on that. So guess my old phone will be sticking around for a bit (at least fire when I need to record a call).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants