FREE carrier bags at supermarkets

20 replies
Found 4th Nov 2016
Shopping at morrisons yesterday I was asked if I would like a bag for my meat. The cashier told me that if you have bought meat it should be packed in its own bag and that supermarkets must give these carrier bags to you for free. She said that normally we must ask for it and shouldn't expect it to be offered.

20 Comments

old news

I've been offered a bag for the meat I buy at Morrisons every time I shop there, your cashier sounds rude! LOL

Not carrier bags - just very thin and small transparent bags.

Neither supermarkets nor any other business have ever been obliged to give carrier bags for free, however the law allows them to *choose* to give you a free plastic bag for meat/fish.

I was in card factory yesterday, I bought one card and the cashier put it in a bag and didn't charge I thought it was strange as i wasn't charged or even asked if I wanted a bag......until I got home looked inside and found about six leaflets advertising other businesses, takes the pi ss when the whole point of charging for bags was to save waste now I'm left with 6 a3 leaflets and a bag I didn't need oO

mattinhull

I was in card factory yesterday, I bought one card and the cashier put it … I was in card factory yesterday, I bought one card and the cashier put it in a bag and didn't charge I thought it was strange as i wasn't charged or even asked if I wanted a bag......until I got home looked inside and found about six leaflets advertising other businesses, takes the pi ss when the whole point of charging for bags was to save waste now I'm left with 6 a3 leaflets and a bag I didn't need oO

But you were feeling pretty smug about the free bag weren't you? So you let it happen instead of questioning it X)

Surely not the standard Morrison carrier bag as it is too large to be free for the following reason.

1. Bags of a certain size used solely to contain packaged uncooked meat, poultry and fish:

As well as the above exemption on unpackaged foods, there is no obligation to charge if the bag is used solely to contain packaged uncooked fish or fish products, packaged uncooked meat or meat products or packaged uncooked poultry or poultry products.
This exemption only applies where the bag is less than 206mm (width) x 459mm (height including handles) with a maximum gusset of 125mm.

moneysavingkitten

But you were feeling pretty smug about the free bag weren't you? So you … But you were feeling pretty smug about the free bag weren't you? So you let it happen instead of questioning it X)

Remember from last year about
Them not charging
Only paid twice once in aldi when I did have leaky meat and they refused me a free one

thewongwing101

Remember from last year about Them not charging Only paid twice once in … Remember from last year about Them not charging Only paid twice once in aldi when I did have leaky meat and they refused me a free one

They cut the handles off to make them free didn't they?

That's really bad at ALDI Mind you I would probably have told them to take the meat back if it was leaking.

sophieb1986

supermarkets must give these carrier bags to you for free.

That's simply not true. If a supermarket chooses to sell you such a bag then that is their right

mattinhull

I was in card factory yesterday, I bought one card and the cashier put it … I was in card factory yesterday, I bought one card and the cashier put it in a bag and didn't charge I thought it was strange as i wasn't charged or even asked if I wanted a bag......until I got home looked inside and found about six leaflets advertising other businesses, takes the pi ss when the whole point of charging for bags was to save waste now I'm left with 6 a3 leaflets and a bag I didn't need oO

why didn't you just take your card out of the bag and leave it on the counter?

Original Poster

splender

Surely not the standard Morrison carrier bag as it is too large to be … Surely not the standard Morrison carrier bag as it is too large to be free for the following reason.1. Bags of a certain size used solely to contain packaged uncooked meat, poultry and fish: As well as the above exemption on unpackaged foods, there is no obligation to charge if the bag is used solely to contain packaged uncooked fish or fish products, packaged uncooked meat or meat products or packaged uncooked poultry or poultry products. This exemption only applies where the bag is less than 206mm (width) x 459mm (height including handles) with a maximum gusset of 125mm.

It was a standard carrier bag

meat was always the exception when the charge about.

When you’re not charged for a bag
There are some cases where retailers aren’t required to charge you for a bag:

paper bags
shops in airports, or on board trains, aeroplanes or ships
bags which only contain certain items, such as unwrapped food, raw meat and fish where there is a food safety risk, prescription medicines, uncovered blades, seeds, bulbs and flowers, or live fish
We’ve set out full details of all of the exemptions from the charge in our guidance for retailers. In cases where retailers aren’t required by law to charge for a bag, it is up to them to decide whether or not to do so. There is nothing in the law that prevents retailers from charging for bags, even where there’s an exemption.

Source
Edited by: "shabbird" 4th Nov 2016

shabbird

meat was always the exception when the charge about. When you’re not c … meat was always the exception when the charge about. When you’re not charged for a bagThere are some cases where retailers aren’t required to charge you for a bag:paper bagsshops in airports, or on board trains, aeroplanes or shipsbags which only contain certain items, such as unwrapped food, raw meat and fish where there is a food safety risk, prescription medicines, uncovered blades, seeds, bulbs and flowers, or live fish We’ve set out full details of all of the exemptions from the charge in our guidance for retailers. In cases where retailers aren’t required by law to charge for a bag, it is up to them to decide whether or not to do so. There is nothing in the law that prevents retailers from charging for bags, even where there’s an exemption.Source

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…815 ]
[ hotukdeals.com/mis…809 ]
[ hotukdeals.com/mis…296 ]

etc.

moneysavingkitten

They cut the handles off to make them free didn't they?That's really bad … They cut the handles off to make them free didn't they?That's really bad at ALDI Mind you I would probably have told them to take the meat back if it was leaking.

Wasn't that fussed obviously the last on the shelf and a real bargain

thewongwing101

Wasn't that fussed obviously the last on the shelf and a real bargain

Fair play bargains are a different matter

I was in Tesco the other day and bought some fresh fish, they put it in a tesco carrier bag. I assume the same would be for meat. Didn't cost me but 5p *meh*

weird that the stores are so happy to meet the law around plastic bags so diligently, but their ethics around community and paying appropriate wages are usually pretty lame

Banned

doogan9

Not carrier bags - just very thin and small transparent bags.

Can be any type of bag
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions