Free Cash Withdrawals in Las Vegas

Found 20th Mar 2015
I am potentially off to Las Vegas in May, and according to MSE the Halifax Clarity credit card is the best option for overseas spending.

However, I understand that a lot of ATMs in Las Vegas charge around $5 per transaction. I had found on lasvegasforcheap.com/veg…as/ that the forum shops at Caesar Palace are free withdrawal, but the article was written in Sept. 2012.

Does anyone have any recent experience of ATMs in Vegas that are free withdrawals or cheap?
Community Updates
11 Comments
You can get a cash card from the travel agents which you put money on, then when you get to Vegas you can use it in any atm machine free of charge.. Plus you can top you card anytime you like and you will receive texts if you want top up when you money is getting low. You can have two with the same pin, one for you and your partner.
Original Poster
wolfy001

You can get a cash card from the travel agents which you put money on, … You can get a cash card from the travel agents which you put money on, then when you get to Vegas you can use it in any atm machine free of charge.. Plus you can top you card anytime you like and you will receive texts if you want top up when you money is getting low. You can have two with the same pin, one for you and your partner.

Thank you, how do they get around the ATM that charge then? Have you used one of the cards in Las Vegas?
Have a look here. Was in the same situation as yourself, using Halifax Clarity but not able to find many free of charge ATMs

allpointnetwork.com/mob…htm
In the UK, we are quite lucky to have many free ATMs, unfortunately many ATMs in US are not free. Usually if you bank with them they are free, not free otherwise.
You can open a UK Citibank Current account, it is free withdrawal in US Citibank ATM. You can withdraw from your Sterling or USD account. So you can buy USD at a better rate into the USD account, to be withdraw while in US.
lozfitz

Thank you, how do they get around the ATM that charge then? Have you used … Thank you, how do they get around the ATM that charge then? Have you used one of the cards in Las Vegas?

It doesn't, they have no idea what they're talking about, the Halifax Clarity is the best option. When travelling I've found most bank atms to be free. Even if they charge other customers of other banks within the country. If they're free for their own customers they tend to also be free for foreign card users, it will warn you first anyway.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 20th Mar 2015
Many of the US-based banks now charge their own customers to use their ATMs to withdraw money - the Allpoint app will show you where the nearest ATM which does not charge is located (handily most of them seem to be in branches of 7-Elevens which are just about everywhere
Original Poster
manors

Have a look here. Was in the same situation as yourself, using Halifax … Have a look here. Was in the same situation as yourself, using Halifax Clarity but not able to find many free of charge ATMshttp://www.allpointnetwork.com/mobile.htm

Cheers for your reply. To double check are you saying the Halifax Clarity card will work and not be charged a fee if I find an Allpoint ATM?

Just spoke to Halifax (to find if they are part of the Allpoint network) and was told that no ATM would charge if I use the Clarity card, that's not right, is it?
lozfitz

Cheers for your reply. To double check are you saying the Halifax … Cheers for your reply. To double check are you saying the Halifax Clarity card will work and not be charged a fee if I find an Allpoint ATM? Just spoke to Halifax (to find if they are part of the Allpoint network) and was told that no ATM would charge if I use the Clarity card, that's not right, is it?

Think Halifax are getting a bit mixed up there. With a normal credit card they would charge a non sterling transaction fee plus the exchange rate you'd receive would be below what it current is on the open market - so with the Clarity card, you don't pay any of these to Halifax.

However in the US most banks now charge customers to use their ATMs if they bank with a different company, but the Allpoint network doesn't charge this fee. From what I can gather it is similar to the 'Link' cash machines over here.

The main thing to worry about is that withdrawing cash on the Clarity card will be treated as a cash advance so you will start paying interest on it as soon as you withdraw the money. If you have internet banking set up, withdraw the dollars using the Allpoint ATM, then pay off the card bill straight away using online banking and the interest charged is minimal.
just pay the fee, it's a small price to pay to be in vegas. especially when you get free drinks for playing the slots/tables.
Original Poster
manors

Think Halifax are getting a bit mixed up there. With a normal credit … Think Halifax are getting a bit mixed up there. With a normal credit card they would charge a non sterling transaction fee plus the exchange rate you'd receive would be below what it current is on the open market - so with the Clarity card, you don't pay any of these to Halifax.However in the US most banks now charge customers to use their ATMs if they bank with a different company, but the Allpoint network doesn't charge this fee. From what I can gather it is similar to the 'Link' cash machines over here.The main thing to worry about is that withdrawing cash on the Clarity card will be treated as a cash advance so you will start paying interest on it as soon as you withdraw the money. If you have internet banking set up, withdraw the dollars using the Allpoint ATM, then pay off the card bill straight away using online banking and the interest charged is minimal.

Thank you, I had read the same advise on MSE and will be doing a bank transfer straight.

Cheers.
Original Poster
espirit77

just pay the fee, it's a small price to pay to be in vegas. especially … just pay the fee, it's a small price to pay to be in vegas. especially when you get free drinks for playing the slots/tables.

Agree, just trying to understand the best travel money option (Halifax clarity v high street)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants