Groups

Free Cinema Screenings- your opinions.

Just a query after going to see Ghost Town today for free in Derby Showcase de lux. Something I've found quite often when going to see free films, has anyone else found the same or is it cinema going in general now?

*People arriving late; walking in 5, 10, 15 mins after a film has started- disruptive and annoying if you have to move etc for them, seems to happen more with free films than those I've paid for in the past

*Rudeness; we asked two girls to be quiet this morning after they talked all the way through the beginning credits- their argument was that nothing had happened yet and continued to talk and giggle until Gervais spoke. Personally i see the cinema as an experience- I work hard at uni and when my boyfriend and I go out to the cinema we like to enjoy it, not wonder about when 'they' are going to shut up! If you only want to listen to the characters talk and not watch the film then go away and listen to the radio.

*Annoying habits; rustling sweet bags are still an ageold pain. But today this guy had REALLY SQUEAKY SHOES and kept moving his feet all through the film...all i could hear was squeak.....squeak,....squuuueeeeeaaaaaaaak.....so annoying!!

Am I the only person who finds it really difficult to switch off when I'm in the cinema and not notice all these things?
    I find it far worse at the free showings-people seem to think 'its free, what the hell' but at the end of the day, I still had to drive for 30mins to get there, etc.

rant over...for now.. lol.

20 Comments

NO, thats just the cinemar for you

maybe your better off waiting for it to come out on dvd and staying at home to watch it

maddness007;3238096

NO, thats just the cinemar for you

Agreed, that's why I won't go.

derby is full of people like that.

Go to the odeon, more expensive but better clientele (dunno how to spell that)

Not really, i just had nothing constructive to write

wear ear plugs, - sorted!

You complain so much for watching a free film, I wouldn't like to be near you if you had paid...lol.

It's not just the cinema either, it's the theatre as well.

yes it is a phenomenon of the human condition.

15 minutes into the show, we once had this 50-ish y.o. lady who came to the seat right in the middle and asking everyone else on the row to move so her man friend could sit with her. i'd tell her 'No, bleach' but i wasnt sitting in the front row of the middle section, then she proceeded to talk and talk and talk like a parrot. i think the cinema staff should politely ask them to pipe down or just leave. it should be expected because now, it's a cinema not a friggin' coffee shop or a marketplace. you'd think someone who is 'dressed' to the cinema is clued enough but clearly not.

kippy;3238148

yes it is a phenomenon of the human condition.i once had this elderly … yes it is a phenomenon of the human condition.i once had this elderly lady who came to the seat right in the middle and asking everyone else on the row to move so her man friend could sit with her. i'd tell her 'No, bleach' but i wasnt sitting in the front row of the middle section, then she proceeded to talk and talk and talk like a parrot. i think the cinema staff should politely ask them to pipe it or just leave. it should be expected because now, it's a cinema not a friggin' coffee shop or a marketplace. you'd think someone who is 'dressed' to the cinema is clued enough but clearly not.

lol kippy, that made me laugh.

yes some people at the cinema do bug me...but squeaky shoes??? common... they guy couldn't' help that really now could he?

squeaky shoes -- was it raining? cant be worse than stinky shoes.

Thankfully the locals seem well behaved these days (in the cinema at least).

Original Poster

bellabonkers;3238171

yes some people at the cinema do bug me...but squeaky shoes??? common... … yes some people at the cinema do bug me...but squeaky shoes??? common... they guy couldn't' help that really now could he?

Lol, no but if it were me I'd have kept my feet still or took my shoes off and made myself comfy...and they were REALLY squeaky lol!!

As for it being a [I]free[I] film, I understand that, but as I said I travelled from Nottingham (no seats in notts) for 30 mins to get to the cinema so it still cost me my petrol etc.

I usually do wait for the dvd, but things like Bond and harry potter etc, I couldn't wait so I would have to go to the cinema lol.

No wonder some people find these films online places to avoid cinemas!!!

Glad to know I'm not the only one though!
    x

I went to the cinema de lux in Leicester today, was very nice, decent enough film, no squeaky shoes anywhere. lucky me... lol

We went to see Lee Evans last week and people arrived 15 mins late, I couldn't believe that, bloody rude I thought, but also, when you pay £35+ for a ticket, why would you get there late?? I dunno, some people!! lol

Only thing that bothers me is people talking loudly near me. otherwise i switch off and watch the film.

Original Poster

ChipSticks;3238254

I went to the cinema de lux in Leicester today, was very nice, decent … I went to the cinema de lux in Leicester today, was very nice, decent enough film, no squeaky shoes anywhere. lucky me... lolWe went to see Lee Evans last week and people arrived 15 mins late, I couldn't believe that, bloody rude I thought, but also, when you pay £35+ for a ticket, why would you get there late?? I dunno, some people!! lol

He's excellent isnt he- saw him in Skegness in Aug.
    I agree though, in the West End you cannot enter the theatre until half time if you arrive late, not sure how much they stick to that (probably due to the abuse they'd get if they tried) but it does ruin the experience for everyone else!

they do that definitely at theatres/classicals/musicals in London.

it should be more strict at the cinemas. some people just dont have manners ... simply ignorant so they need some help there.

I have made a complaint to management when people talk all the way through - also when its minus 12 degrees in the screening regardless whether it is a free screening or not. Alegedly the staff do make regular checks but 'popping in' for 30 seconds doesnt work. When they used to have an usher/ette in the screen action could be taken straight away and people were much better behaved because of it.
    At Southampton at Fly me to the Moon the other week there were 2 small children running up and down in front of the screen - WHY dont parents do anything!????? After 10 minutes or so of this I went out and told staff and give them their due they came in, observed and then asked parents to do something about it. They stopped them running and then obviously due to the fact they couldnt get them to sit still they then left leaving the rest of us to watch the film without the extra sound effects.
    I know it was a childrens film but most children know how to act appropriately and actually want to watch the film - why should a few spoil it for the many? If you want to take your children anywhere then teach them the correct behaviour before you go and everyone gets the most out of the experience

*note to self:
    get a big straw and shoot peas at the runaway rugrats.

Original Poster

Aquatic;3240394

At Southampton at Fly me to the Moon the other week there were 2 small … At Southampton at Fly me to the Moon the other week there were 2 small children running up and down in front of the screen - WHY dont parents do anything!????? After 10 minutes or so of this I went out and told staff and give them their due they came in, observed and then asked parents to do something about it. They stopped them running and then obviously due to the fact they couldnt get them to sit still they then left leaving the rest of us to watch the film without the extra sound effects.I know it was a childrens film but most children know how to act appropriately and actually want to watch the film - why should a few spoil it for the many? If you want to take your children anywhere then teach them the correct behaviour before you go and everyone gets the most out of the experience

When I went to see the Dark Knight there was a row of about 6 girls of about 6/7 years old. Completely inappropriate film for their age, their parents were nowhere near, on another row I expect.
    I got slowly wound up and then went over to talk to them as there were no ushers. I pretty much said 'look I know you must be really bored by this film, but I really want to see it and I've spent all my pocket money coming to see it, do you think you could hold in your voices until after its finished?' they were quiet as a mouse after, was either that softly softly approach or 'SHUT THE %%(^ UP!!!!' LOL
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions