FREE Congestion charge for electric vehicles

Posted 29th Oct
Only just discovered this in the discounts and exceptions section of the TFL website when paying over £100 in charges for the company Tesla. Probably common knowledge to electric drivers in London however was news to me so sharing for any other electric car drivers out there none the wiser.
Other discounts include blue badge holders, breakdown companies, 9+ seaters, tricycles and roadside recovery vehicles.

Application costs £10 but once paid you get to drive in London CZ for free
Community Updates

Groups

17 Comments
Well if you didn't know this, you probably aren't aware that parking is also almost free to plug-in cars in Westminster. Pay for 10 minutes and you get the maximum stay period.
Also the discount is there for plug-in hybrids as well as all electric.
jbecker29/10/2019 07:47

Also the discount is there for plug-in hybrids as well as all electric.

So EV, PHEV, but not HEV?
It’s based on emissions. But I have a Golf GTE and a Volvo XC60 that both meet the requirements. So free parking in Westminster and no congestion charge. Unfortunately rules will be changing in I think 2021 and neither will meet the new requirements.
Ford are launching some new increased range electric vehicles in 2020 so good time to change over then.
Errmm OP, do you have a tesla and not know this 😳😳😳. Which area do you live in?
saadiya29/10/2019 08:43

Errmm OP, do you have a tesla and not know this 😳😳😳. Which area …Errmm OP, do you have a tesla and not know this 😳😳😳. Which area do you live in?

I live in Leicester. I don't drive the Tesla, it's the MD's car. I am the operations manager for the business so just manage all things like this.
cjdean198329/10/2019 09:01

I live in Leicester. I don't drive the Tesla, it's the MD's car. I am the …I live in Leicester. I don't drive the Tesla, it's the MD's car. I am the operations manager for the business so just manage all things like this.

Ah ok. Like others have said, there's almost free parking in Westminster as well. You pay i think under £1 for 4 hours of parking. And now there's charging pods across the city, so if you chatge there whilst parking then parking is free. Also if you charge at Westfield superchargers , you get 1 hour free parking by taking your parking ticket into the Tesla store for validation.
I got hybrid car and planing to go (drive)central London this Sunday. Do I have to pay any charges?
Djpal12329/10/2019 09:32

I got hybrid car and planing to go (drive)central London this Sunday. Do I …I got hybrid car and planing to go (drive)central London this Sunday. Do I have to pay any charges?

The application takes a few days and costs £10 to become exempt. It also needs to be under 75g of Co2
cjdean198329/10/2019 10:18

The application takes a few days and costs £10 to become exempt. It also …The application takes a few days and costs £10 to become exempt. It also needs to be under 75g of Co2

Thanks, I thought I am exempt because I have Yaris hybrid.
cjdean198329/10/2019 10:18

The application takes a few days and costs £10 to become exempt. It also …The application takes a few days and costs £10 to become exempt. It also needs to be under 75g of Co2

38829706-Jq62A.jpg
Sorry I confused between ulez and congestion charge.
How about custom built cars?
How about if electric engine runs the vehicle but small petrol engine to charge the batteries?
Does anyone know where there is free/cheap charging points near Chelsea
cmdr_elito29/10/2019 08:37

Ford are launching some new increased range electric vehicles in 2020 so …Ford are launching some new increased range electric vehicles in 2020 so good time to change over then.

Yes, but they probably won't have anything you can actually take delivery of until late 2020 and in volume mid 2021.
speculatrix31/10/2019 20:52

Yes, but they probably won't have anything you can actually take delivery …Yes, but they probably won't have anything you can actually take delivery of until late 2020 and in volume mid 2021.

By then the rules will all have changed !
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants